Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
The general public is far more clueless than you'd hope. What's more concerning is they can't recognize quality. Premise: a guy takes an iPhone knockoff running Android with an iOS skin, tells people it's the iPhone 6 with a 26-core A10 and 8k display, and they believe him. It's a low-res, slow phone with a clunky UI... Yet people see an improvement over the 5/5S. I honestly believe the vast majority of the public would respond the same way even if you gave them a 5-year-old Android phone in an iPhone shell. Unfortunately too many people don't appreciate the 2 billion transistor chip, the Retina HD display, refined UI, etc. and would probably be content with garbage if they were led to believe it's better.

http://youtu.be/yoKFBNbwyyY

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
People buy a brand. Thats it. Apple is the best damn advertising company EVER.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The general public is far more clueless than you'd hope. What's more concerning is they can't recognize quality. Premise: a guy takes an iPhone knockoff running Android with an iOS skin, tells people it's the iPhone 6 with a 26-core A10 and 8k display, and they believe him. It's a low-res, slow phone with a clunky UI... Yet people see an improvement over the 5/5S. I honestly believe the vast majority of the public would respond the same way even if you gave them a 5-year-old Android phone in an iPhone shell. Unfortunately too many people don't appreciate the 2 billion transistor chip, the Retina HD display, refined UI, etc. and would probably be content with garbage if they were led to believe it's better.

http://youtu.be/yoKFBNbwyyY

You do realise that for the majority of the public it's just a phone. It's only nerds who care about detailed specs and get into flame wars over which device is better .

Frankly these people in the video have lives, and for them it's just a phone ;)

----------

Spot on. Apple are masters of marketing .

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Judging from what I see most of the general public is disconnected from General reality. They have very little idea of what is going on in their city, state, country and to say the least the world. Most could not name or even pick out in a line up the people who represent them.

No I am not surprised.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Judging from what I see most of the general public is disconnected from General reality. They have very little idea of what is going on in their city, state, country and to say the least the world. Most could not name or even pick out in a line up the people who represent them.

No I am not surprised.

That's a good point. Although I'm sure more people know that there are two new iPhone models than those who know who their local mayor is.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

No I am not surprised.

Maybe it's us who are disconnected from reality wasting time worrying about specs instead of just enjoying the damn phone, you know, like most normal people.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012

You could probably tell someone that it is the newest Samsung phone with twice the resolution of the last model, and they would also go "Ooooh yes, I can see it!" It's not just a brand issue, it's a common placebo effect.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Maybe it's us who are disconnected from reality wasting time worrying about specs instead of just enjoying the damn phone, you know, like most normal people.

That's almost like telling people they can smoke because they'll enjoy it instead of telling them to become educated about what they do.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

No, people chose to buy a product, any product, for all sorts of reasons including (in no particular order):

1. Design
2. Ease of use
3. Quality, perceived or real
4. Meets personal needs
5. Perceived status
6. Value (monetary or emotional or both)

It's simple minded to suggest a product is popular solely because of marketing. Marketing only creates and enhances awareness. But a company can spend millions marketing a poor product. It still will not sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.