This voice texting thing...Thoughts

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by The Doctor11, Jun 2, 2014.

1. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

What are your thoughts on the voice texting and the video messaging? I think its a ton of crap and has no need. I will never send this way and hope I will never receive text this way. And on the lock screen do you need to type in the password or use touch ID to get the back sliding and sending voice text thing. If not its kinda creepy anyone can pick up your phone and send anything to any of the text of the lock screen.

2. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Thought: Don’t use it.

3. Alonso Quijano macrumors 6502

I'll definitely use it.

It'll really be so much easier being able to send voice messages while I drive rather than risk a crash texting.

4. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Umm... Dictation

5. Alonso Quijano macrumors 6502

Because dictation is always accurate right?

I have siri turned off anyways. With voice messages I don't have to worry about Dictated Messages being butchered

6. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yeah, I was thinking about driving too. That, and walking through airports dragging a bag behind me. It's so easy just to lift the phone and talk. It removes a lot of barriers to communicating sporadically on the go. Very slick.

I wonder how long it will be before it speaks your "text" texts to you and then automatically transcribes your spoken response back into text for the other party? They could be typing and you could be speaking and neither of you would know or care.

This could be big. Lots of real-world use cases.

7. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Diction is not always right.

8. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

It almost sounds like integrated Snapchat since the messages disappear after a while unless you save them. It'll probably be popular with Tweens and teens.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Think of it as a 1 way phone call. Say what you have to say without having to listen to the other person nor go through the formalities of a phone call if you don't have the time and also don't feel like typing out a lengthy text.

10. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Siri isn't dictation. But it can perform dictation if that's what you're asking.

----------

and you can make it self destruct right?

11. Alonso Quijano macrumors 6502

If you have Siri deactivated, Text Dictation does not show up.

12. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Oh, did not know that..

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

not sure about the self-destruct part yet I'm focused on other issues Im trying to figure out right now on iOS 8

14. cariacou macrumors 6502a

cariacou

it looks like Apple tried to create a SnapChat-like app integrated in iMessage.
    Or maybe a voicemail integration ?

noisechat will never work though...

15. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I don't understand people who text while driving, eating dinner, hanging out with friends, 'spending time' with their kids, etc. Is what you have to text so important that you would imperil your life and the lives of others instead of just waiting until you're out of the car? I don't mean to pick on you specifically, just your comment struck me as odd. Why anyone would "risk a crash texting" is beyond me. :(

16. Alonso Quijano macrumors 6502

1. I drive an hour every morning and evening on the way to school and back home. I drive on absolutely straight rode 99% of the way with multiple lanes, and this isn't even an interstate or a highway.

When I have to text I try to be smart about it.

2. Some people have important business that can not wait until you see someone face-to-face. Especially when one's driving takes two hours out of their day daily.

17. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Fair enough. My commute takes about an hour, too (by train though, as I live in Tokyo) so I know what it's like. Although your comment about having important business requiring instant communication is kind of funny, when you think about the fact that civilisation has gotten along just fine without texting for thousands of years.

Anyway, back OT: the voice texting thing is not something I plan on using often, as it will be far less discreet than typing messages.

18. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

Headset, click little button and send text via siri. She will even read it back to you.

Yes a text can always wait!!

19. matty.p macrumors 6502

Well and the whole it's illegal to text and drive thing