Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Decided to install an SSD in a 2008 MBP 3,1. I had 2 SATA 3GB SSD's in my G5 quad so I decided to borrow one of them
I installed it an external enclosure with the intent of re-partitioning it "Guid" for my MBP and low and behold it showed up as bootable.
So I thought what the hell and rebooted and sure enough it booted right to the desktop of my intel powered MBP. I will say that none of the apps would run, but there I was looking at the G5's desktop on my MBP.
ON all my systems I run monolingual and Xslimmer to strip the unneeded code and my G5 had been stripped many times.
This tells me that these apps must not remove extraneous code from the OS system files and just the application files, something I was not aware of.
Still does not explain how my intel system booted from an Apple Partition map.
Seems I can still learn something new every time I mess around.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Still does not explain how my intel system booted from an Apple Partition map.
Leopard definitely can boot on Intel Macs with Apple Partition Map, this is what all Leopard install disks are formatted with to enable boot on PowerPC Macs from the same disk. I have booted off PowerPC Leopard installs using two Intel Macs, ran fine on both.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Leopard definitely can boot on Intel Macs with Apple Partition Map, this is what all Leopard install disks are formatted with to enable boot on PowerPC Macs from the same disk. I have booted off PowerPC Leopard installs using two Intel Macs, ran fine on both.
I was aware of that, what surprised me was that it booted from a HDD that had supposedly been stripped of all intel code leaving only the PPC code.

val1984

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2015
Rosetta perhaps?
It wouldn't boot if there was no Intel code at all (Rosetta is Intel code).
The applications on this disk are probably running through Rosetta though because their Intel code has been removed.

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
I do know that most of those programs like Multilingual, or xSlimmer (which is what I use) only touch the Applications folder and not the system folder so that's why I think its still working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.