This week is the worst time to be MacRumors regular!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by rockitdog, Sep 10, 2014.

1. rockitdog macrumors 68020

This week is the equivalent to being at the gym New Years week. All of these noob questions are somewhere between obnoxiously annoying and completely hilarious. In any matter, It'll be nice to get back to normal after next week.

2. dunxxx macrumors regular

Since you've been around awhile, maybe you can answer my question.

Do you know which site would be the fastest preorder?

:cool:;)

3. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Back to normal after next week? No. lol

It usually takes at least a month or so.

4. rockitdog thread starter macrumors 68020

Doesn't matter. It really doesn't.

5. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Since you have been here so long (2013?) how come you don't know that this is not the appropriate forum to post in?

6. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

This comment seems rather pretentious. I look at it the exact opposite way, it is like Christmas to me. The forums are alive and everyone is excitedly anticipating receiving their new devices. I remember a day when people would laugh at you for owning an Apple computer and it wasn't until the iPod that things begin to change. I welcome the crowds!

7. rockitdog thread starter macrumors 68020

But it's the same questions being asked again and again and again! If people would just search through the message boards they'd see we really have no more answers than they do, there just happens to be 5 threads about their question already opened.

8. dunxxx macrumors regular

Sarcasm escapes you.

9. Scepticalscribe, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, yes. The same questions asked eternally. Which of our lives are not full of questions? How can one find answers without posing questions?

Many - I cannot say all - but many came to these fora just to ask a question, or two. I know I did. I had bought an Apple computer, as a 'switcher' as the parlance has it, didn't know the first thing about it, am not a techie, and - while trawling the internet, tripped over this site.

Thus, I lurked a while - asking questions, after all, is so embarrassing. You are revealing gaps, sometimes great gaping yawning gaps, in your knowledge, deeply embarrassing when surrounded by the cognoscenti.

So, you join, just to ask a question. And, then, some of us stayed, because it was an interesting place, the atmosphere was congenial, you encounter some like-minded mates who actually develop into friends, and you decide (well, I did) that this social media online stuff is here to stay, and so some small corner of it might as well be colonised.

And all for a question, a single, simple question (but not simple until answered), without which one (this one) would not have joined.

In any case, I used to be a history and politics teacher, and - in the classroom (yes, all of life is not in the classroom, but sometimes, it comes fairly damned close) - one of my golden rules was 'there is no such thing as a stupid question.' However, on the other hand, there are stupid answers……but it is our task - is it not? - to do our best to assist others on the path of learning (and mastery of new technology).

It is better to ask than to remain mired in blissful and wilful ignorance……a little thought which serves as merely one of my mantras in this life…...

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

11. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

No worse than usual id say. The newbies only ask questions repeatedly and don't state stupid ideas as facts like some regulars do.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Remember we all were noobs once. Since we're a discussion forum, I think it behooves us to try to help the new members :)

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Basically I see this as the instructions on a shampoo bottle. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Folks get excited about the new products, join up, post their questions, get some answers and move on. Next year, the cycle happens all over again.

For those of us who stick around a lot more, we see the same stuff over and over again. I don't see this as a problem because it is, in part, what the forum is all about - helping others and discussing their Apple products, among other things.

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Use this as the time to expand your horizon. You seem to post in the iPhone area a lot. You can hang out in the App section, Special Interests, and Community Discussion. You can have fun here as long as you let yourself do so, don't be afraid of getting non-Apple around here.

Do yourself a favor and learn how to use the Forum Spy and take advantage of the ability to omit forums. It will help you not be so overwhelmed by the newbies.

15. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Not that I disagree about the influx of excited new members with a severe lack of search skills, I just think it's cute you complain with a join date of 2013. :p

It's all part of the territory really; every announcement you see the full spectrum of posts from the "BEST. THING. EVAR!" crowd to the Doomsayers and all the Android flavours in between arguing which innovation came out first and blah blah blah.

Now mostly I just chip in my comments, sit back, and enjoy the ride!

Still I pitty the mods at these times...

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My thoughts exactly, and expressed a lot more succinctly.

17. rrl macrumors 6502

rrl

Let's all share our anti-noise "Exclude Forums" lists. Here's my MacRumors bliss:

Code:

18. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i know.... right!? old timer! lol!

19. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

New Mac people asking questions on this Mac forum is what this site is about.

If you are getting tired of feeling superior to the new Mac people, I am sure there are places that can help repair over inflated egos.

This place isn't supposed to be an echo chamber.

While you are busying ranting and raving, take a look in the mirror and try and remember, that you were new once and needed some help.

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

21. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Okay... why do you use that font?

Times New Roman looks good printed on paper, but is unpleasant on screen.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Because I cannot stand Arial either printed or on screen, and find it difficult (and unpleasant) to read. Indeed, as it seems to be the first font - alphabetically - on most lists of fonts, I think that inertia, complacency, or perhaps a sort of mental laziness has turned it into a default font.

Actually, when printing, or sending emails, I often use Garamond - a font I really love - but, unfortunately, that doesn't translate at all well to the screen, although it is exceedingly attractive looking on paper.

Anyway, the option exists on the drop down screen, so why not avail of it?

23. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Thank-you for taking the time to post a well reasoned answer!

24. Madmischief macrumors newbie

Not having logged in for a while, it is quite funny to see ...

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It's been 7 years and it's not back to normal.