This Winter: MBP or Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by suicidal nun, Jul 9, 2008.

1. suicidal nun macrumors member

Hey all,

I've been a longtime Mac user, and currently have a 2.16 GHz 15" MBP I purchased two years ago. According to rumors/speculations, the MBP will have a major redesign that have the styling similar to the current iMacs. The MBP should also have the next line in Intel chips, which should make it faster and last longer battery wise.

With this in mind, I'm planning to upgrade this winter, but am torn between getting the newest MBP or a mac pro (will nehalem be available by then?).

My primary use for my laptop right now is portability, dvd ripping, general use (word, internet, etc) and some editing with FCP. However, my friend built an sweet hackintosh a while ago and was able to rip a dvd using MacTheRipper in about ten minutes average. On the contrary, it takes me about 40 minutes to rip dvds on my laptop.

So I got thinking- would it be more beneficial for me if I got a Mac Pro and turned that into my media station? One of my goals is to have a digital copy of all my DVDs for easy viewing, as well as utilizing iTunes for movies and music.

Or would I be better off getting a upgraded 15" MBP and buying external HDs and connecting the HDs via eSATA using my Express 34 slot and using a external dvd drive to up the ripping speed? You can see it quickly becomes complicated at this point.

I did a quick setup of what I would like / need from each machine and the difference is $350 before I even consider external HDs, eSATA Express 34 cards, external DVD drives.

Any ideas? I know it ultimately comes down to whether I desire portability (and complicity) or power, but if one were to choose, what would it be?

----------
    On an unrelated note, could you install a WD Raptor in a MacPro as the boot drive?

2. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

Well I can't answer all your questions but if I were you, I would hold on to your current mbp for the portability and purchase a refurb mac pro for ripping your movies and your higher power tasks. The refurb will save you some money and then you have the best of both worlds, portability and power.

Of course if you had planned on selling the mbp and then using the money for your new machine, my recommendation is null. Sorry I couldn't help more. :)

3. suicidal nun thread starter macrumors member

Haha, sorry for all the questions!

Yes, I was planning on selling my MBP so I could upgrade.

Thanks anyway :)