This wont be a "clean sweep" will it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macnfab, Aug 28, 2009.

1. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

Meaning usually when you install a OS it is a fresh start on your system. I have nearly 100,000 pics nicely organized and just about as many tunes... hours invested in iCal/address book etc... I am scared this is all gonna be wiped? Any one had any issues like this?

I think i will give it at least a month for apple to work out the kinks.

2. nubee macrumors member

If you just upgrade it, everything should still be intact.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You have to TRY rather hard this time around. You need to go into Disk Utility and erase the drive to do the Erase & Install.

The upgrade is the default. Please, please have a backup regardless. I don't see a need to worry if you have a backup. I kinda makes this worry pointless doesn't it?

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Everything will be intact. If you haven't already now would be a good time to back up your data.

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Not to scare you, but unless you have a backup don't proceed.

6. macnfab thread starter macrumors regular

macnfab

bad bad I KNOW... no I haven't backed up...(but haven't got Snow Leopard yet either) yes i have all the data.. in an external HD... but i have to reformat it and loose it's contents to use time machine... I have only been a mac convert for about 8 months so...

question will backing up using time machine, make an exact copy of all my programs and saved data, etc???

7. LoganT macrumors 68020

Yes.

8. macnfab thread starter macrumors regular

macnfab

Thanks I will do it before the upgrade... way to many hours invested in perfecting this macbook... my hubby has one too.. with very little data(a few pics and songs etc.. he mainly just an internet user)... I can give back anything he would loose.. I wont buy another HD for him.. he'll be ok:D

:apple::apple: