this worth buying

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bomberboat, Sep 8, 2009.

1. bomberboat macrumors newbie

i don't know anything about mac computers at all. so i was looking around on ebay and seen this apple 40 mi from my home. can be picked up at there shop some of the info poster in there ad.

Item specifics - Apple Desktops
    Condition: Used Processor Type: PowerPC G4
    Product Family: eMac Processor Speed (per Core): 800 MHz
    Screen Size: 17 inches Processor Configuration: Single Core
    Operating System: -- Memory (RAM): 512 MB
    Primary Drive: CD-ROM Hard Drive Capacity: 40 GB
    Bundled Items: --

i have a dell now 10 yr old almost no memory 60 mb or disc space left 2 g

about how old is the mac above. big question is is it worth buying buy it now is only $69.00 no way i can afford to buy much better right now. mine keeps getting cant load scripts because of low memory or something like that

2. California macrumors 68040

California

Well it is a start on macs. I think it is from 2003, check it out on everymac.com I'd just Go for it and get switched to Apple. It should work on 10.4 tiger fine.

3. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Its an eMac. Those were terrible. But for 70 bucks, thats a good deal. You get what you pay for, so far that price, its a good deal. I wouldnt mind myself having one like that somewhere in the house just to use as a file server or something.

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

No, it's not worth it. Apple has moved away from the PPC. If that's a G4 there's no software for it. Even free software these days usually always excludes PPC. I hate to say it but for about the same money you can get a 3 GHz Gateway or eMachines with 512MB or 1GB of ram that will still run the vast majority of applications made for the WinTel or Linux platforms.

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

BTW, with that PC I was talking about I think you can do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVan49_Vm_I without any problems if you're mostly interested in OS X.

Nice music too! It spans well over my Pro Logic IIz processor amp. :)