This would be a fun business if it wasn't for the clients.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by fluidedge, Apr 22, 2009.

1. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Why can't they take professional advice?

We're doing a corporate video atm, but of course they know everything already.

Filming will take 3 days for something that should take an afternoon, but whatever. It's the post they're being annoying about. They already know what music they want. (it's an extremely famous song) - however they don't seem to realise that music must be licensed ("can't we get it for free somehow?") and a song with lyrics (obscure and inappropriate) together with people talking and graphic overlay messages is going to be bloody awful.

Can't they take our advice that just because a song is famous doesn't make it appropriate. Oh and they want a version without the lyrics too. All by next week.

*sigh*

Where is that application form for that "junior data entry executive" job?

2. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

3. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Yes, it's frustrating sometimes. But don't be angry, at least you have a job you seem to enjoy most of the time.

The best thing I once got told was: "you have to change this ad, we are afraid it might draw too much attention." :rolleyes:

4. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

I had a similar experience once.
    We had explained we could use the famous song, but it would cost £££.
    They insisted they would be able to sort it out for much cheaper....

Then things went bad...

I got an email from them...

they had download an .m4p from iTunes, saying they had bought the music and there would be no problems using it.:rolleyes:

Eventually when the project was over, they offered us more work.
    We were too busy;)

5. Keebler macrumors 68030

i'm assuming the music is something outlined in your contract with them?

Print off some articles explaining why it can't be used, or, find the agency that licenses the music and see what the cost is (if that song can be used).

it's education time for them. let them know it's not your fault.

whatever you do, you might not want to use the song for your company's reputation.

6. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Well we have provided a budget for music in the quote we gave them but it wouldn't cover the quote we've had for the music they want so they would have to stump up the extra - there is no way we'll absorb that.

we've got a meeting with them next week and i think it could be a interesting one.

I think we might also be too busy if they offer us any more work in the future. ;)

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I typically talk to clients first to see if it'll work.