This would be foolish, right?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iToaster, May 31, 2007.

1. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Not that I'd actually take my MB apart (my mind won't let it go, this might be astupid question), but would you say it's possible to upgrade the innards to the newest stuff from a late '06 MB, I've been googling it but haven't come up with much. Would it be possible to replace the optical drive with the 8X or the logic board with the 2.16?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Probably. The optical drive would be an almost definitely.

3. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

I think the C2D bump was just a chip upgrade, right? I don't think they changed anything else.

4. Sammis89 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that it's possible to swap the optical drive. However, I'm not sure how possible (or easy) it is to swap a logic board...

5. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

The optical drive is a definite as the SuperDrives and ComboDrives haven't changed since the first MacBooks at least. The logic board assembly may be different but it could be possible. I'll have a google around as I'm unsure so I won't say it's impossible; it's probably difficult but possible.

EDIT: Has anyone got a picture/s of their (or a) C2D MacBook logic board? If the connectors and layout are the same then it seems this would be possible.

6. iToaster thread starter macrumors 68000

iToaster

I'm fairly certain that the motherboards are all the same in the MBs. That would allow a replacement if one doesn't screw anything up in the process. To tell the truth, I was eyeing optical drvies for my MB, but was sorta curious to see if it was possible, and also would there be driver issues? I don't think the two optical drives are the same... 6X... 8X (which does mean a MBP update soon, you can't have pro lines partialy infrior to comsumer lines). Oh, and would the OD from a 17 inch MBP work?

7. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

CD drive is a go, motherboard, I don't know... hehe it rhymed.