This would happen when I make my transition from PC to MAC...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Formula1freak, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Formula1freak macrumors member

Formula1freak

So firstly,

I love my new MacBook, it is making my life so much easier and my computing is so much more enjoyable than it ever was on a PC, the only part that I am finding a pain is getting everything transferred over so I no longer require a PC to do some things...case in point...

I also have an iPhone, i went to backup everything from iTunes on my PC on to blank DVD's to load them into iTunes on my MacBook, did so... then wiped the PC... this was a huge mistake...why? I came back from vacation today, to find the discs on my desk all scratched up, and unreadable (I think my cat had something to do with it ... any advice? I need to get everything from my iPhone setup in iTunes on my Mac...but I have no idea where to start, but I am pretty sure I am screwed, any advice would be great :)

Ryan

2. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

There are utilities on www.macupdate.com that allow you to copy your music from your iPod/iPhone to your computer.

As for your other stuff, I suggest getting a trial MobileMe account, syncing the information to Mobileme, syncing the device to the Mac and then resyncing all the information back to the iPhone.

If you need step by step instructions, I can give them.

Oh and, kill the cat.

3. Formula1freak thread starter macrumors member

Formula1freak

Funny you mention that I actually got a MobileMe account when i purchased my MacBook, definitely worth the buy, question is how do I sync that information from my phone into the cloud?

Do these utilities also copy my apps? just curious :) and thanks for your help!

PS - I plan on giving this cat a severe punishment, even though killing it is not a bad idea, lol... I can laugh at it now, but I was not a happy camper earlier...

4. Formula1freak thread starter macrumors member

Formula1freak

Any other advice anybody can share? I am at a loss :(

5. nebarik macrumors member

look at it this way. this is your experience to make sure yuo have atleast 2 copies of your important data at any given time. always backup, and it'll never happen again.

for the scratched discs i can recommend yu look for a disc cleaner of sorts, and see how well they work

6. Cap41 macrumors 6502

i thought oyu could always re download purchased apps for free.

7. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

F1F,

your apps should already be 'tied' to your iTunes account. For example, if I download Shazam today, delete it tomorrow and then redownload a few days later, the App Store will say "hey you've already bought this item, download it again?" or something like that.

Since you are moving to a new computer, you will have to authorize iTunes. It's up at the top in Itunes, click Store and then Authorize. You'll enter your AppleID. This lets this iTunes download your stuff; apps, etc.

To setup MobileMe on the device, go to System Preferences->Mail, Contacts, Calendar and proceed to create an account with your MobileMe information. If you've already done that, click on the MobileMe account and make sure "Mail", "Contacts", "Calendars", "Bookmarks" are set to the ON position and they will sync to the almighty cloud. Give it some time, so don't go erasing it right away.

Go to www.me.com on your computer and check and see the progress. Hopefully things have synced up.

8. Formula1freak thread starter macrumors member

Formula1freak

Awesome this really helped :) I got all my contacts, mail, notes, apps, etc... synced up, now i just have to get my music and movies off my iPhone somehow, what does anybody recommend ? I have been searching on macupdate.com for a bit :)

9. scott:mac macrumors regular

www.versiontracker.com

Has some great tools for moving files from PC to Mac.

There are other ways such as the Apple Recommended ways

1. Connect your Mac to your PC using a standard Ethernet cable.
    2. Make sure that both computers are turned on.
    3. In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go menu to open the window.
    4. Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using one of these formats:
    smb://DNSname/ShareName
    smb://IPaddress/ShareName
    5. Click Connect.
    6. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your PC's workgroup name, user name, password, and the volume or folder you wish to access.
    7. Your PC volume should appear on your Mac Desktop.
    8. Open the volume and drag and drop files directly from it to anywhere on your Mac.

Also, You could just copy your files to a Hard Drive or CD Rom, and transfer them from there.

Hope this helps.
    When finished, drag your PC volume to the Trash to unmount it.

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

Why use DVDs the transfer files? Don't both computers have a network connection. You can drag and drop the entire iTunes library from the PC to the Mac. The network is 50 times faster then burning DVDs

OK now you have a few options. (1) try and recover the deleted files from PC's disk. If all yu did was a simple delete then they are in the trash (or "re-cycle"). If you empied the trash then you are going to need some data recovery software and luck. If you re-formattd the disk you are just out of luck.

The DVDs may be OK even if the Mac can't read them. I have notice that "full size" DVD readers with tray loaders can read discs that Apple's slim size slot loaders can't. So maybe the DVDs are readable on the PC? You can try.

What about your backups. Don't you have backups of the data that was on the PC. The Mac should be able to read those on e way or another.

11. Formula1freak thread starter macrumors member

Formula1freak

Thank you all for your advice :) I have been searching on macupdate.com the past few days for the right software to get, and I finally found the right one, its called TuneAid , and wow its worth the money :) again thanks everybody for all your help!

12. scott:mac macrumors regular

No problem.

That is why we are here.
    Please try and contribute more to the site, We need new members.