Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrvirginia

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
Go look at the pictures The Verge posted. I can’t see this huge difference in the light the XS is capturing.
LOL as far as I can tell, they only have one comparison of the XS vs the X and there's a clear difference there. Are we looking at the same thing? It's the photo of the drinks with a candle. The other photos are comparing the XS to other manufacturers cameras.

If we are looking at the same photos there, I think you might need to adjust your monitor a bit my dude.

EDIT: these 2
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/pIm...jbareham_180916_2951_iPhone_XS_0080_sized.jpg
XS

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/xjF.../jbareham_180916_2951_iPhone_X_0046_sized.jpg
X

How can you not see the difference here???

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Check our Daring Fireball’s review.

https://daringfireball.net/2018/09/the_iphones_xs

He spends a lot of time discussing the camera improvements with some good samples.

I have upgraded every year since the 3GS, and this looks like the biggest leap in camera quality in a single year I’ve seen.
Check out the Verge which compares the camera to the Pixel 2 XL (last years pixel not even the one launching in a couple weeks). It was notable.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
LOL as far as I can tell, they only have one comparison of the XS vs the X and there's a clear difference there. Are we looking at the same thing? It's the photo of the drinks with a candle. The other photos are comparing the XS to other manufacturers cameras.

If we are looking at the same photos there, I think you might need to adjust your monitor a bit my dude.

EDIT: these 2
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/pIm...jbareham_180916_2951_iPhone_XS_0080_sized.jpg
XS

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/xjF.../jbareham_180916_2951_iPhone_X_0046_sized.jpg
X

How can you not see the difference here???

Who said there wasn’t a difference? My point was not a huge difference. Sure there is a different, but it’s not this land slide. Also that is dark lighting, how about just a standard photo? The claims that this is this huge upgrade would mean its across the board.

Edit:
Your links don’t work.

mrvirginia

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
Who said there wasn’t a difference? My point was not a huge difference. Sure there is a different, but it’s not this land slide. Also that is dark lighting, how about just a standard photo? The claims that this is this huge upgrade would mean its across the board.
Huge difference depends on how you personally define the word "huge" though...
One of the major points of the new camera is the larger sensor that lets in more light. To see the biggest difference between last years model, you would take a photo with dark lighting. Not sure what you're expecting here my dude. Most camera phones take decent photos in light these days.
[doublepost=1537300245][/doublepost]
Nope these are about who is better. This is about how much better it is than the X.
Others in this thread are mentioning the Pixel 2. You are debating the X vs XS. They are debating the former.

Nextup12

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2018
I am not in love with the Pixel 2 camera. MKBHD did his usual video putting all the big phone cameras from last year up against each other. In the blind test, I picked the iPhone X more than I did the Pixel 2. I will admit though, the Pixel 2 was an amazing camera. My point here being, the iPhone XS is not this huge improvement that these reviews claim that it is. The software is better that is for sure, and I think it makes the photos look fantastic. The problem I have is there is no reason the X couldn’t run that same software. They won’t because then the camera won’t look so good.
It’s also the sensor, so not just a software upgrade. The sensor makes makes a huge difference especially in low light situations. In regards to software I believe the new neural engine is what allows it to function, although I suppose that could be refuted and changed in the future - I am not an expert on iPhone software.

Looking at the photo comparisons and videos of the Xs in action it is a clear and significant upgrade to me. Having said that, not everyone is as picky about their photos and that’s ok too.

If I owned a X it probably wouldn’t be enough to upgrade because I don’t upgrade annually, but coming from a lower iPhone these improvements are very pleasing to see.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Huge difference depends on how you personally define the word "huge" though...
One of the major points of the new camera is the larger sensor that lets in more light. To see the biggest difference between last years model, you would take a photo with dark lighting. Not sure what you're expecting here my dude. Most camera phones take decent photos in light these days.

First I am not your dude, so we got that out of the way. Second there are expectations that come with making claims like the Verge did. That’s my point here. Things aren’t vastly different in the XS camera.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
It’s also the sensor, so not just a software upgrade. The sensor makes makes a huge difference especially in low light situations. In regards to software I believe the new neural engine is what allows it to function, although I suppose that could be refuted and changed in the future - I am not an expert on iPhone software.

Looking at the photo comparisons and videos of the Xs in action it is a clear and significant upgrade to me. Having said that, not everyone is as picky about their photos and that’s ok too.

If I owned a X it probably wouldn’t be enough to upgrade because I don’t upgrade annually, but coming from a lower iPhone these improvements are very pleasing to see.

Coming from an older iPhone, yes 100% an upgrade worth getting. Upgrade over the X. Not so much. It is sure, but not what people here are trying to justify it as. This happens every year. They have to justify the upgrade.

Bigserver1

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
Go look at the pictures The Verge posted. I can’t see this huge difference in the light the XS is capturing.

Gruber's review had some really good comparisons. One is above, the picture of him on the X that is half washed out by the sun, vs the Xs which is a huge difference due to the HDR.

Another comparison from his review. This is a shot on an iPhone X

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 1.12.17 PM.png

Here's one taken with the Xs:

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 1.12.24 PM.png

To me, both of these examples are "big" improvements. Candid photos are rarely taken in ideal lighting conditions, and if the Xs can improve dramatically in low light settings, alongside the HDR improvements, it stands to reason that this camera will perform better in day to day settings, which will stand out to the average camera phone user. Just my .02

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
I have an 8 Plus and always considered it to have a good camera for the most part. From what I’ve seen across the Xs reviews, the camera seems to have had a large upgrade over the X, performing notably better in low light and shooting into a bright light source. I feel the Xs is close to the Pixel 2 camera (have a look at the Mashable photo comparison vs the Note 9, Pixel 2, and the iPhone X - I’ve linked it below) and in some cases it beats or mostly matches the Pixel 2 photo’s.

PS: We all want the best photo quality possible from these devices, and everyone has their own preferences as to colour temperature, etc. If the Xs photo’s don’t do it for you vs other devices then that’s okay, so too is people preferring the Xs photo’s over the competition. Let’s keep this a civilised thread :)

https://mashable.com/feature/apple-iphone-xs-max-review/?europe=true#EBCaPvwN0aql

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If we're talking about capturing correct lighting/exposure, oh yeah there's a big difference between the X and XR/XS. You're talking about a much larger sensor on the new one. Only so much can be done with software in that regard.
I'm not seeing it, and I do like the idea of having a larger sensor. Its just so far with the reviews, I'm getting an ho hum vibe

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
X vs XS: I don’t think anyone reasonable would disagree that with both the bigger sensor and the reviewers photos as examples that there has been good jump up in quality for low light situations. In other situations the jump, if any, probably isn’t as noticeable between the two. However, a lot of people take a lot of shots in poor lighting, so this should help.

XS vs Pixel 2: What I saw in the video review (verge I believe) where he said the pixel 2 was still king was a photo showing more detail and cooler color vs a softened and warmer colored photo from the XS. He then showed a bunch more where I actually preferred the XS over the more contrasting pixel 2. He even said it is subjective between which set people would like.

At the end of the day, it seems like depending on the situation and lighting at the time, one camera is going to out perform the other. And it will flip flop as to which did better. If you take a lot of low light photos go for the XS if the camera is a driver. If you like contrasty photos with the most detail and have good lighting conditions in your shots, maybe you better look at the upgraded pixel 2 coming out soon.

Reactions: fatalogic

fatalogic

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2016
X vs XS: I don’t think anyone reasonable would disagree that with both the bigger sensor and the reviewers photos as examples that there has been good jump up in quality for low light situations. In other situations the jump, if any, probably isn’t as noticeable between the two. However, a lot of people take a lot of shots in poor lighting, so this should help.

XS vs Pixel 2: What I saw in the video review (verge I believe) where he said the pixel 2 was still king was a photo showing more detail and cooler color vs a softened and warmer colored photo from the XS. He then showed a bunch more where I actually preferred the XS over the more contrasting pixel 2. He even said it is subjective between which set people would like.

At the end of the day, it seems like depending on the situation and lighting at the time, one camera is going to out perform the other. And it will flip flop as to which did better. If you take a lot of low light photos go for the XS if the camera is a driver. If you like contrasty photos with the most detail and have good lighting conditions in your shots, maybe you better look at the upgraded pixel 2 coming out soon.

People seem to keep missing the part where he says it’s subjective between the pixel 2 and the iPhone. The only objective difference was the pixel does not do as much image smoothing and is not as natural older iPhones.

Kram Sacul

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2018
Southern California
Gruber's review had some really good comparisons. One is above, the picture of him on the X that is half washed out by the sun, vs the Xs which is a huge difference due to the HDR.

View attachment 783431

View attachment 783432

To me, both of these examples are "big" improvements. Candid photos are rarely taken in ideal lighting conditions, and if the Xs can improve dramatically in low light settings, alongside the HDR improvements, it stands to reason that this camera will perform better in day to day settings, which will stand out to the average camera phone user. Just my .02

Does the X shot have HDR enabled? It looks like it doesn’t.

I’m sure there are improvements with the Xs camera over the X. No doubt about that. Is it worth upgrading from the X though? Nope. At this point if it’s not as good as the Pixel 2 then who cares.

KrisYYC

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
For still shots I think most flagships are pretty close. For me the bigger differences are in video. I found that since iPhone 7 that the iPhone had the best video recording. Now that they FINALLY put stereo audio in video in the iPhone I think the iPhone XS is the clear leader at least with video. Here's a nice sample:

Reactions: MrAperture

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The biggest differences in seeing isnwhenctbe lightnsource (particularly the sun) is behind the subject. That's hands down superior on the Xs examples.

Low light does seem better but nowhere near the stark difference you see managing light behind the subject.

My quick and dirty summation? It's a bigger difference than I may have expected, but not enough to drop another $1k onca phone. Something to look forward to next year, assuming I get some more tangible changes to go alongside it.

Bigserver1

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
Does the X shot have HDR enabled? It looks like it doesn’t.

I’m sure there are improvements with the Xs camera over the X. No doubt about that. Is it worth upgrading from the X though? Nope. At this point if it’s not as good as the Pixel 2 then who cares.

He mentioned both were just point and shoot, so I guess it would depend on his settings for the X. In regards to overall camera quality, I personally found the Xs photos to be superior to the Pixel 2 in most cases, or on par at least. This idea to me that "the Xs isn't even on the level of the Pixel 2" seems overblown from one review, where even that reviewer says "it will largely depend on personal preferences".

Feels like I'm trying to carry Apple's water here, and I'm not...It's just pretty clear that the Xs cameras are a significant upgrade in both hardware and software, so I'm not sure if it's just X owners trying to overcompensate for not upgrading, or what...

Reactions: profets

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

View attachment 783431

View attachment 783432

There are for sure differences, and it does shot better. My point is that people acting as if the X is some crap camera, and the Xs suddenly makes the iPhone camera great. That’s total BS. The iPhone was one of if not the best cameras last year. It’s not sudden garbage.

Bigserver1

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
There are for sure differences, and it does shot better. My point is that people acting as if the X is some crap camera, and the Xs suddenly makes the iPhone camera great. That’s total BS. The iPhone was one of if not the best cameras last year. It’s not sudden garbage.

That's a totally fair point. I have an 8+, and I found the camera to be generally excellent. I am, however, very excited to get my Xs Max delivered on Friday lol.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
That's a totally fair point. I have an 8+, and I found the camera to be generally excellent. I am, however, very excited to get my Xs Max delivered on Friday lol.

Oh you should be excited! That is a great upgrade. You will love the huge screen.

As for the cameras, yes I had no issues taking great photos with my X. No reason to upgrade at all. Hope everyone enjoys theirs, but let’s stop dumbing on the past gen like it was trash.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I’m sure it’s better but the word significant is probably a bit much. It can take better shots in certain conditions I’m sure but generally it’s probably quite similar to the X.

Reactions: Phone Junky

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
The iPhone X’s Max, is the screen resolution output 1080P or 4K? I just don’t know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.