Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple could potentially offer its upcoming second-generation Apple Watch Ultra in a new darker color option that it originally tested for last year's model but ultimately canceled, according to well-connected Bloomberg reporter Mark Gurman.

Apple-Watch-Ultra-Orange-Alpine-Loop-Action-button-220907_big.jpg.large_.jpg

Apple does not offer case color options for the current Apple Watch Ultra, but the company reportedly considered offering the premium device in a "dark titanium" version. Gurman claims Apple went so far as to test the color, but in the final analysis decided against the option because the designers didn't like it.

However, Gurman claims the dark color option could still "theoretically" be on the table for this year's model, presumably thanks to the popularity of the current device. Apple already offers its Apple Watch Series 8 and SE models in several case color options.

According to rumors, the second-generation version of the Apple Watch Ultra could also potentially be lighter than the first-generation model. Weibo user Setsuna Digital claims that the new Apple Watch Ultra will have a reduced weight, which could be due to the 3D printed components Apple is rumored to be using.
Apple is working on a new S9 chip based on the same technology found in the A15 chip used in the iPhone 13, iPhone 14, and other devices. The chip will reportedly be used in the standard upcoming Apple Watch Series 9 and the next Apple Watch Ultra.

Apple is expected to announce its new Apple Watch models in September alongside its rumored iPhone 15 lineup.

Article Link: This Year's New Apple Watch Ultra Could Feature Case Color Options

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I wish I could get the regular aluminium watch with the battery of the Ultra. I don't need the rest of its features, I just want to never have to worry about battery life ever again.

EDIT: @lkrupp what a weird thing for you to disagree with. Please elaborate. Do you just hate good battery life or is there something I'm missing here?

Last edited:

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018

Apple could potentially offer its upcoming second-generation Apple Watch Ultra in a new darker color option that it originally tested for last year's model but ultimately canceled, according to well-connected Bloomberg reporter Mark Gurman.

Apple does not offer case color options for the current Apple Watch Ultra, but the company reportedly considered offering the premium device in a "dark titanium" version. Gurman claims Apple went so far as to test the color, but in the final analysis decided against the option because the designers didn't like it.

However, Gurman claims the dark color option could still "theoretically" be on the table for this year's model, presumably thanks to the popularity of the current device. Apple already offers its Apple Watch Series 8 and SE models in several case color options.

According to rumors, the second-generation version of the Apple Watch Ultra could also potentially be lighter than the first-generation model. Weibo user Setsuna Digital claims that the new Apple Watch Ultra will have a reduced weight, which could be due to the 3D printed components Apple is rumored to be using.
Apple is working on a new S9 chip based on the same technology found in the A15 chip used in the iPhone 13, iPhone 14, and other devices. The chip will reportedly be used in the standard upcoming Apple Watch Series 9 and the next Apple Watch Ultra.

Apple is expected to announce its new Apple Watch models in September alongside its rumored iPhone 15 lineup.

Article Link: This Year's New Apple Watch Ultra Could Feature Case Color Options
Until they offer gloss finishes like on the stainless steel versions, I won't even consider the Ultra, making it thinner and Biometric sensors, would also be a huge step!

trentropy

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2003
Voorhees, NJ

Do we know when the Ultra is expected to get a 2nd generation release date?

Reactions: Agile55

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Just get rid of the stupid orange highlights...
I don't really mind the orange, but Apple should really give a customize option for the ultra... It would be cool if you could customize with several different color options or the option to keep it plain titanium colored..... I don't know how much of a logistics and manufacturing nightmare this would be for Apple though.. I know Tim is all about keeping everything minimal and keeping costs down.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
This is why you always wait for the gen 2 unit. This will have the new less energy using chip, the same if not larger battery, a slightly different screen and slightly lighter weight. This is the rev 2 and the one most people will buy.

Nah, I've been enjoying the hell out my gen 1 as is. One of my favorite Apple products of all time.... If the gen 2 is compelling enough then I'll just sell my gen 1 and get the gen 2.... In the meantime I didn't miss out on a whole year of enjoying the gen 1 just waiting for what might be next.

Drecca

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
if apple really wants to keep the accents, because either they believe they're useful for visibility or the process is baked in, make it a dark watch and titanium (current color) accents.

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
Nah, I've been enjoying the hell out my gen 1 as is. One of my favorite Apple products of all time.... If the gen 2 is compelling enough then I'll just sell my gen 1 and get the gen 2.... In the meantime I didn't miss out on a whole year of enjoying the gen 1 just waiting for what might be next.
My thoughts exactly!!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.