this yrs ipod refresh will have optional 3g same as ipad

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by koopa35, May 25, 2010.

1. koopa35 macrumors 6502

what do you guys think about the new ipod touches having optional 3g same as ipad. i think we will see that this sept along with iTunes X

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Already exists it's called an iPhone ;)

3. koopa35 thread starter macrumors 6502

true but if that was the case iphone and ipod touch = same thing y not get rid of ipod touch?

4. ajones46 macrumors 6502

He's saying that if the iPod touch were to gain 3G capabilities, then it would be damn near an iPhone. As much as I'd love to see this, I seriously doubt it'll happen. It would be "too good".

5. koopa35 thread starter macrumors 6502

i understand what hes saying. we have to understand the apps are getting better. some use location and need data.. apple cant keep shutting some people out completely is wifi is no present. and yes i kno wifi is present at most places.. if it comes true ill post back here just to say i was correct... thanx to the few who gave their input..

6. g2525 macrumors newbie

but if u add 3g to ipod touch it might effect the sells on iphone and iphone is more expensive so i think they probably wont do it :confused:

7. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

Not gonna happen. The iPod touch is basically the version of the iPhone for people who either don't want a monthly data plan or have a phone with a different carrier and won't switch to AT&T, but still want iPhone apps and capabilities.

The 3G would have to be through a cell carrier, so who in your target market is going to want this? Nobody (or not enough people to make money).

If you want an iPod touch with 3G don't you really just want an iPhone?

8. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The people who need data access away from WiFi, who are prepared to purchase pay-per-use data (like on an iPad) on a no-contract basis (like on an iPad), but who would prefer a smaller form factor than an iPad, and who don't need voice phone service.

9. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

There's just too much overlap with an iPhone... it makes more sense to offer prepaid plans for the iPhone than create another line of the iPod.

I see your points, but honestly how big can that market be? Most people will either get an iPad, pony up for the iPhone, or get the iTouch and live without 3G. I doubt Apple is losing many sales over this issue, and certainly not enough to justify creating a new line of iPod Touch.

10. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

There are too many people out there who just want to use their iPod touch as an iPod and nothing more. They don't want to pay a monthly fee, even if they will get Internet wherever they go.

Then again, they could do it the same way as the iPad by offering a model that has 3G and one that doesn't, but then I would just wonder why those people just don't get an iPhone.

11. JSAYER macrumors member

I have heard many people at school etc. "wishing" for this but to be honest it would basically make it an iPhone especially if it includes a camera. For this point I think it would be a stupid thing for Apple to do so for this point I think Not

12. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

I simply bust out my Verizon mifi when I need cellular data for my iPod touch. :)