Those 0.55 gb other memory drives me crazy

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by FatPuppy, Sep 24, 2012.

1. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

What can I do,after a clean restore I had 0.27 gb,after a sync with no apps installed,I have 0.55 gb.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can't do anything. It grow as you use your device more. Remember, iOS is a powerful operating system and it's more like a computer than you realize. It needs places to put its working data.

3. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

So after a few months usage,I should expect few gbs of other memory?By the way,nice speech "Steve Jobs".

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I no longer feel inclined to help you with your quest to understand the nature of iOS' other files. Good day.

5. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

lol

----------

No matter what you buy there is always files that will fill a hard/flash drive. Where do you think all the text messages we send go?

6. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I like your "lol"

----------

But I have no text messages,the iphone is completly empty,no usage,none,zero.

7. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Well, nonetheless, the phone is never gonna be at 0. Get over it. You can't go on living life with minor worries like this... God is great!

8. jacobss macrumors 6502

9. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Good for you!

10. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

What he's trying to say, you need to get over it. This won't do anything to your phone. The more you use your phone, the more data it will collect and save without you even knowing. It has to store it, but the bottom line is that it WILL NOT AFFECT your phone or how you fill it... trust me

11. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

I have 1.31Gb

As previous posters have said, its where the majority of the iOS is stored. And as you use your phone more it will expand with cache usage, logs, settings saves etc. You'll find this happens with a normal computer as well. However, due to its sandboxed apps, iOS doesn't have any apps that can 'clean' the iOS like you would a mac using an app like OnyX.

12. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Where can I check this without being plugged into my computer? I can't seem to find it.

13. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

I don't think you can. At least I don't know about it if there is a way to see without plugging it in. The only way I know to find out how much 'other' data is being used is when the iphone screen is displayed in iTunes.