Those "All in One" Comps?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by theturtle, Jun 2, 2011.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

hey guys, parents are looking to buy a computer for the kitchen.

Are the all in one computer experiences less enjoyable than the imacs?

i mean, there are alot of options for all in one computers like this sony
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666303952

but im curious if the experience of the touch screen is still wonky or if its as fluid as lets say the ipad (impossible i know, but is it close)

are the all in ones worth it at the end, even if its a few hundred cheaper?

and lastlyyyy, its the question everyone hates IM SORRY.
    is it better to wait it out till imacs get bundled with lion or is that too long of a wait. i know no one has an answer but i figured i might as well ask it. the parents dont really care about the free ipod deal. i was just curious if it was smarter to wait till lion gets bundled in.

don't worry, won't ask "should i wait for the next imac before buying" question :D

2. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

of Course,

Lion is going to be announced when? June 6 at WWDC!
    all these new features look awesome, if i was in ur shoes i would most definetly wait, say you buy now? and see all these cool features lion offers? your gonna spend like what $29.99 or 149.99 for the software upgrade? yep worth the wait, hang on tight for just less than a week. sure those touchscreen looks cool and all, but is windows what your going after? those times, buying antivirus(theres a work-around) for the serial keys, Defrag?,Clean up disk? blue screen&blackscreen of death? not worth it!. enjoy MAC OS Lion and your super Imac :)

3. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

I used one of those touchscreen all in ones and it didn't feel as smooth as an iPad and there seemed to be a bit of a delay when touching an area.
    I'd recommend going on down to Best Buy or wherever and try it out for yourself

4. Kasalic macrumors regular

Having used a couple of the Touchscreens (HP and Sony) I'd say that they are no where near the iPad/iPhone. The main reason is that it's simply unintuitive to poke the screen, and I think the Lion/Magic Trackpad route feels so much nicer to use.

5. coolspot18, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

coolspot18 macrumors 65816

For the kitchen, an iPad with a stand might be better - makes a great recipe reader. iPads can access e-mail, web, etc - all the basics you'll want in a kitchen computer. Makes a great MP3 player too.

If you're lucky, they'll announce the Back to School sale with the iPad discounts in which case you can keep the iMac and give your parents the iPad :)

6. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

iMac is an "all in one"...with a big screen and Mac OS.

At this point, I might wait for Lion....I think June is "end of fiscal year" for a lot of companies and along with the "Back to School" promo, discounts should be available from other big box sellers as well.

Agreed as well that an iPad is a pretty comparable computing device if you're not looking to do any heavy lifting.

Also Windows 7, to me, is just not a focused enough OS to do the Touch Screen dance like iOS at least.

7. al2o3cr macrumors regular

One other big win for an iPad in the kitchen: no fan. I can only imagine how grungy the inside of any all-in-one (iMacs included) would get in a kitchen environment...

8. Pintail macrumors member

Ditto on the iPad.

My mom wanted a kindle for her birthday - the family got her an iPad instead and she uses it all the time - esp in the kitchen! She loves the display for recipes, and now is playing those "cook along with me" videos on it!

Then she takes it to her favourite chair to read a book. Best present ever!

9. jljue macrumors regular

I use Elo Touch branded industrial touch screens for industrial equipment control on the plant floor, and they are terrible compared to the touch screens on iPhone and iPad. Sure they get the job done for selecting buttons and pressing a few keys on the HMI screen, but that's about it. I've not used a consumer touch screen before, but I've heard that they aren't anywhere ready for a true touch-based OS--more of a novelty. iMac in the kitchen sounds cool, but you don't want anything with fans running while cooking greasy foods. I remember how nasty a PC got under the counter in an oil change place--it's pretty gross.

10. Duluth Baptist macrumors member

My wife uses her iPad in the kitchen all the time. It plays her music, or a movie while she's working, or it can look something up in a pinch. It uses a lot less space than a desktop and it does most of the things you would want to do with a computer in the kitchen.

I guess the exception would be if your parents actually spent time sitting down at the computer to do bills on it or something like that, or if the kitchen was really big. The iPad works great in our kitchen, but we don't have a lot of space to cover. If you have all kinds of spare counter space, an iMac at least fits better.

11. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

That sony isn't very good (spec-wise). The $1199 iMac is better than it. The iMac has a significantly better CPU and GPU.

12. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

I completely agree. the $1199.99 21.5" iMac is better than the Sony all-in-one OP linked and is $100 cheaper. Better everything except the screen is 2.5" smaller with the same resolution.

13. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

have to agree from kasalic. from the all in one windows computer i've used at best buy, that seem a bit clunky. not knocking them, its a cool product. just doesn't seem fully fleshed out.