Those Fancy Stack Moves

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iGrouch, Oct 31, 2007.

1. iGrouch macrumors member

Ok Folks.

Here it is:

http://prefolo.netsons.org/covql.mov

The Stacks movie as shown on some Italian website that shows us how at one stage stacks had great functionality as a navigable entity.

2. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

Apple should be embarrassed that stacks was released. Folders on the dock are useless.

3. nineteentwelve macrumors regular

I've just tried every key combo trying to recreate that, but to no avail. Although I have just found out that while holding Option and then clicking on an icon in a stack, launches the app/document/etc. and leaves the stack open. Coolness.

4. Germacintosh macrumors newbie

Very nice! Hope they bring this back again! Maybe it was just not stable enough for the GM?

5. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

well for a lot of people it is useful so why stupid? because the os wasnt custom made for you?

6. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

How about instead of being a prick in your reply, you just explain the following:

A) How you can quickly use stacks if there is no visual way to differentiate among stacks?

B) Where I called them stupid.

C) Why they can ever be useful if they do not show full contents of the stack?

Thanks,
    IBjr

7. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I want it!! Especially because the dock doesn't minimize when you move the mouse to the stack... that would be so sweet... Steve! :(

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

How did that user in the clip get his sub-folders to open within a stack? Every time I click on a sub-folder, I just get a Finder window instead. If I could work a way around that, it would make Stacks easier and better for me.

9. John01021988 macrumors 6502

ok that means that maybe a terminal script can bring us back that feature. Or perhaps apple....

10. iGrouch thread starter macrumors member

No it won't because this feature was dropped from GM. We may have to wait till Apple gets it to work or decide that it is not too complicated for users to use. This may not happen till 10.6, but if people make enough noise about it they may make it a priority to enable this feature now.

If we are passionate about these things we should let Apple know with feedback. You can do this here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

I am a firm believer in this channel of communication with Apple. They may not always listen but they have in the past made changes in response to feedback from customers. The more feedback that apple gets from customers on any one issue the more it confirms that media criticisms of their products are correct. If Apple gets no feedback they will just shrug off what is said in the paper/on the internet. And, sending feedback will make you feel that you have done something, and that it is in Apple's hands now. It also, when formalising points on an issue, makes you think tangentially and discover a workaround solution and even, perhaps, see where Apple maybe going with something.

The other obvious thing that Apple threw out of the system was the search view in the finder for searches and Smart folders. It was a no brainer that this view showed file types sorted into different easily viewable categories. For images there was a play button in the blue divider. Now searches return all files in a jumble so if you have any images in a project you have to find and the cmd click each image file and then use Quicklook.

This would be the case say if you were writing a paper on 20th Century art. You may have some pictures stored in various folders in the Pictures folder, a Picasso, a Miro and an Andy Warhol. You have them saved in a smart folder as part of this project but when you open the smart folder they are not grouped together for easy viewing in a slide show/quicklook.

Yes, there is a workaround to group the file type by using Kind, but, Icon view doesn't directly allow this. You have to go into List view, sort the files there and then you can go back to Icon or Coverflow view. Even at that it is not as visually pleasing as the old view. This is a step backwards as an intuitive method for finding and viewing files. Very disappointing but I will learn to live with it for the moment.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ahh...oh well. I'm sure it'll be out by 10.5.3 or so. Or, someone will find a workaround and post it here.:cool: