Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markrath

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I can’t stand the tilted icons - mail, note, reminders, etc. Every major update I’m thinking, please get rid of the tilted app icons.

Reactions: willmtaylor

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Sorry but... what are you talking about? I'm not sure I know what "tilting app icons" are?

Reactions: pizzzle

markrath

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
osx-el-capitan-icons.jpg

look at the four at the bottom - calendar, notes, reminders, and maps - they are turned to the left. System prefs, download folder, even FaceTime app are sitting flat. The circles, iMessage, trash, all very nice and Apple Like

markrath

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I personally like that Mac programs a free to make whatever icons they want. It fits the Mac. It’s also very Apple
I am free to dislike the icons. I love everything apple, these icons just happen to drive me crazy. Call it OCD I just like things lined up nice and neat.

Last edited by a moderator:

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
The tilted ones are all icons for paper things that would be torn off a pad. Except for maps, but it’s still paper.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
This has been a thing since the beginning of Mac OS X. It's unlikely to change any time soon. It's a part of the Aqua (they still do call it that) aesthetic.

Reactions: StevenRCE0

TETENAL

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2014
osx-el-capitan-icons.jpg

look at the four at the bottom - calendar, notes, reminders, and maps - they are turned to the left. System prefs, download folder, even FaceTime app are sitting flat. The circles, iMessage, trash, all very nice and Apple Like
You are very wrong.

http://interface.free.fr/Archives/Apple_HIGuidelines.pdf Page 246

“Because applications are usually used to create documents, the application icon uses a tilted document page to represent the documents the application creates.”

So tilted application icons are originally Apple like.

Reactions: chabig and sunapple

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I can’t stand the tilted icons - mail, note, reminders, etc. Every major update I’m thinking, please get rid of the tilted app icons.
I'm more annoyed by the remnants of skeuomorphism. I'm a fan of skeuomorphism but when Apple said it had to go, they didn't eliminate it completely... a daily reminder of days gone by. (half-joking, half-serious)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I suppose no one else notices that the Safari icon has always been tilted 45° to the right...
I hope Apple fixes that soon.
There's no describing the feeling of emptiness that I get every time I look at that out-of-kilter icon.
I often have to physically tilt my MBPro, just so that Safari icon is pointing straight up - as it should.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^The Safari icon is a circle, how can that be titled 1387914497.gif Do you mean the floating pointer confused.gif If you do, that's a real stretch sad.gif

I often have to physically tilt my MBPro, just so that Safari icon is pointing straight up - as it should.

Ah - April Fool rolleyes.gif

Lou

Last edited:
Reactions: DeltaMac

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
It's very inconsistent.

The Pages icon is tilted, the one for Numbers is not. For squaure icons, Screenshoot is tilted, System Preferences is not.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
argh... now the whole world is tilted. How do I decide which one is properly positioned?

(Just realized if I squint, then turn my head slightly, then all look good. Kinda makes me look funny, but I'm OK with that.)
Ah, it's all because I spent most of this weekend at Firefly music festival. A few minutes off my feet, and all is good now! The world is back in alignment...:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.