Those god awful tilting app icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by markrath, Jun 5, 2019.

1. markrath macrumors member

markrath

I can’t stand the tilted icons - mail, note, reminders, etc. Every major update I’m thinking, please get rid of the tilted app icons.

2. zakarhino macrumors demi-god

zakarhino

Sorry but... what are you talking about? I'm not sure I know what "tilting app icons" are?

3. markrath thread starter macrumors member

markrath

[​IMG]
    look at the four at the bottom - calendar, notes, reminders, and maps - they are turned to the left. System prefs, download folder, even FaceTime app are sitting flat. The circles, iMessage, trash, all very nice and Apple Like

4. ZEEN0j, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2019

ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

I personally like that Mac programs a free to make whatever icons they want. It fits the Mac. It’s also very Apple

5. markrath, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2019

markrath thread starter macrumors member

markrath

I am free to dislike the icons. I love everything apple, these icons just happen to drive me crazy. Call it OCD I just like things lined up nice and neat.

6. mollyc macrumors 68000

The tilted ones are all icons for paper things that would be torn off a pad. Except for maps, but it’s still paper.

7. retta283 macrumors 6502a

retta283

This has been a thing since the beginning of Mac OS X. It's unlikely to change any time soon. It's a part of the Aqua (they still do call it that) aesthetic.

8. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

Exactly. Those are actually the most authentically Mac-like icons on there. The others are mostly iOS 7+ style.

9. TETENAL macrumors regular

You are very wrong.

http://interface.free.fr/Archives/Apple_HIGuidelines.pdf Page 246

“Because applications are usually used to create documents, the application icon uses a tilted document page to represent the documents the application creates.”

So tilted application icons are originally Apple like.

10. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

I'm more annoyed by the remnants of skeuomorphism. I'm a fan of skeuomorphism but when Apple said it had to go, they didn't eliminate it completely... a daily reminder of days gone by. (half-joking, half-serious)

11. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider