Those if you who had a naked iPhone4..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sddabrow, Oct 8, 2011.

?

If you went naked with iPhone 4, did you see scratches?

1. Nope,no scratches what so ever.

33 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. Yes, but very minor

55 vote(s)
    50.5%
  3. Yes, noticeable scratches and will affect resell value

13 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. Went naked and ruined phone

8 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. sddabrow macrumors 6502

If you had a naked iPhone 4, did you start to see scratches, have any major issues/scratches, or ruin it entirely by dropping it and having the screen cracked?

Wanted to take a poll to see if going naked will defi iteky hurt my resell value on the iphone4s come a year from now.

2. cshearer macrumors regular

I used mine for a while without a case, but after a while I realized how silly that is, unless I'm around the house. I personally went to the Apple store and bought an Andy Warhol styled case for mine because if it wasn't awesome enough, I wouldn't be compelled to use it. To answer your question, I saw minor scratches, but since it was my first iPhone, I was obsessively careful with it. I had no problem reselling it, but I don't regret buying a case.

This is the same one I plan to use on my 4S

[​IMG]

Girly? Possibly. Warhol? Indeed.

:cool:

3. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I checked "yes but very minor." This is because yes, there are scratches front and back that you can see if you try.

However, to answer your real question, it will affect resale value. Not a big concern for me, I give my hand-me-downs to family members or send them off to Gazelle. I think a device is meant to be used, not babied, but then I do lose potential resale value that way.

4. sddabrow thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input. Still trying to make the decision of whether I want to have it naked, use a non obtrusive case, or use full body screen protectors.

I had bad experiences taking off screen protectors on an older phone and it left the oily/rainbow effect and screen was ruined. Not sure if I want to risk that chance again.

5. james92se macrumors 6502a

I had about 10 different cases/bumpers for my iPhone 4 and, while I liked them, all of them made it difficult to get the phone out of my pocket. So, I ended up going naked with it (aside from screen protectors) the last 8-9 months.

Actually, the only minor scratches I got on the stainless steel band of the phone were from the Apple bumpers.

I also one day dropped my phone from shoulder height onto my concrete driveway and to my absolute surprise the phone nothing broke. It put a couple of small marks on the stainless steel band but that was it.

6. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

The iPhone 4 is one of the most beautiful and well-designed consumer electronics product of all time. No, I don't use a case when I'm using the phone. A stylish, high-quality Vaja slip case when it's in my pocket, though.

7. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

If you want the naked iPhone 4 look, at least get some clear skins on it. It will at least protect you from scratches (though no drop protection).

I recommend getting BestSkinsEver.

8. sddabrow thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I had similar issues with my current phone (HTC Evo). I went and bought a Seidio rugged case and ended up scratching all corners and sides of the phone from the case. Since then, I haven't had any cases or screen protectors, but it's the backing is the concern I have for the iPhone. The Evo has the plastic back so I have no worries of getting scratches when placing on a desk or table.

----------

I guess my concern with these is what happens when the skin is taken off.. Will it leave residue or cause the rainbow affect as other skins have done to my older phones?

9. james92se macrumors 6502a

Get a clear screen protector or a "wrap" for the back. I personally love the carbon fiber wraps from SlickWraps. I rocked this for several months on my 4:

http://www.slickwraps.com/Black-Carbon-Skin-iPhone-4S-p/ip4s-carfibblk.htm

They used to sell the wraps individually but it looks like now they make you buy the whole shebang.

Also for the record the SlickWraps leave NO residue on the phone and are re-usable.

10. Dheald macrumors member

I wouldn't say my phone is ruined by running it naked, but it definitely hasn't helped my resale value.

Dropped it countless times but luckily each time has been on the metal band around the edge (knock on wood).

Both glass sides not cracked. Scratches on the front are noticeable only when the screen is off...;)

11. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Naked. No scratches, no problems. Dropped a couple of times onto my hardwood floors, but no dents or anything.

First day I did have it though I roughed up an edge when it fell on a concrete stair. Later a crack on the screen (could have been a crack) occurred, but apple replaced my phone due to problems.

12. Nioxic macrumors regular

i've had 2 scratches..

both completely unviewable - one on each side ..

the one on the back is from accidentally putting keys in the same pocket

and the other one is placing the iphone on the table when there was a bit of sand there. ups !

but i've had it for over a year now and those 2 scratches... its nothing. cant see them in daily use and only viewable from a few angles etc. its lovely! :)

(and its currently inf or repairs coz it couldnt restore it, so i might get a new one - without scratches :p)

13. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Nope, it will leave no residue. However the skin will have a texture to it. If you want that smooth feel for the screen protector, you should look at getting SGP there's no rainbow effects.

http://www.sgpstore.com/cell-phone/...-screen-protector-steinheil-ultra-series.html

----------

If the back is only your concern, just get a cheap film protector for the back. I bought 5 pieces from eBay for $2.

[​IMG]

14. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

When I remove my Magpul case, my phone is already protected with a front and rear skin

15. sddabrow thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, looks like 75% of the people have no scratches or very minor. Looks like I'll go with a Best Skins Ever backing or a slick wrap backing and leave the front screen unprotected.

16. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I had pretty much minor scratches until I passed the 1 year mark, and about two months later I dropped it while hammered on concrete and the back popped and cracked...still using it, but the inside of the phone is now exposed on the bottom left corner.

17. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Your phone will show scratches after a while

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

18. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

i take good care of it. minor minor glass scratches and after months i finally dropped it last night on concrete. chipped plastic surrounding the glass a little :(

19. Annerz macrumors regular

A couple light scratches as pretty as it looks without a case you should use one

20. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I used it months mostly naked with nothing but minute scratches. The drop however killed it. :(

21. ryhno45 macrumors regular

Hey Buddy;

In all honesty, I had my Iphone 4 naked. It was until 2 months ago that I dropped in on the sidewalk while riding my bike... (The pants had shallow pockets :(.....) But I had no scratches or dents, etc.

But if you care about re-sale, you should protect it. Little scratches will occur! I would go as far as to say never take your Iphone out the box :D

22. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I think I might know the reason:

23. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Sorry, I'm not putting the most beautifully designed phone inside a case. Not happening. If it breaks, it breaks and I'll pay the price. I do have a Seido holster I use and a leather pouch for carrying it around, however.

24. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

25. lionqueen macrumors 6502

Mine isn't naked, i do have a case, but i took my zagg skin off the front after a few months, it just bugged me, and i felt it detracted from the screen. No scratches so far, and i've had the phone since launch day. My boyfriend even dropped it face down on our concrete garage floor-talk about a heart attack...