Those of you with 15" issues and got them resolved...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Breedlove, Nov 6, 2013.

?

How many replacements did it take for you to get a "keeper" 15" Haswell rMBP?

1. None, the first was perfect!

23 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. Once

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. 2x

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. 3x

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 4x

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. 5x or more

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. Breedlove macrumors regular

How many times did you have to bring your machine back in for replacements before you got a "keeper?"

I'm picking up my first replacement machine (machine #2) today was trying to figure out of the odds were in my favor.

:rolleyes:

Also, would also be helpful to hear what prompted you to bring the machine(s) back in!

2. Baadshah macrumors 6502

I have got four replacements without any luck, so I am getting fund and holding out a few weeks before buying.

3. mthos macrumors member

I got two of them on the friday (week of release), one for my brother who goes graphic design/video broadcasting and I do computer programming and database work and I've had no problems what so ever with either unit.

The only people you are going to see posting threads are people who had issues. You're not going to see: "WOW NO PROBLEMS WITH MY HASWELL MBP!" threads, really. lol.

I imagine the problems are far and few between in comparison to the amount of units they are selling or there would be more widespread reporting and media coverage of hardware issues.

4. Breedlove thread starter macrumors regular

My first 15" Haswell rMBP was a disaster, which is why I'm trying to get a better idea of the number of quality units out there before I move my schedule around to fit in a visit to the Apple Store to pick up another unit.

Doesn't help that there are anecdotal claims that people have replaced 5+ times ><

5. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

There was one poster that said in some places Apple reps restrict the number of exchanges so if your dissatisfied with the exchanged unit, you just get a refund before contributing more to the refurb pool.

This poll does look hopeful with majority getting a good one the first time!

6. Breedlove thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, I'm feeling hopeful that I'll be adding to the 'once' count tonight. :cool:

7. zI INFINITY Iz macrumors regular

Breedlove, thanks for this thread/poll. I was thinking about something similar 9 hours ago. A poll is really a great way to get the best view of the situation :)

8. yangchewren macrumors regular

Waiting for my replacement.

Returned model: 15" 750m with LG SJE1 display.

Slight yellowing at lower left corner. 1 dead pixel or dirt/imperfection in the glass.

Hope my replacement will be fine!

9. Breedlove thread starter macrumors regular

Adding myself to the perfect machine after 1 replacement.
    Non-yellowed Samsung display, Samsung SSD.
    I'm ecstatic!
    :D:D:D

10. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

1st unit - Yellow in bottom right of the screen
    2nd unit - Yellow in both the bottom left and right of the screen

I now have a 3rd unit coming in about 2 weeks time. :(

Apples quality control has gone down the crapper.

11. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

i got my replacement ordered today so hopefully it will be good and i won't be playing the lottery

the person on the phone was very helpful and allowed me to delay the pick-up courier and hang on to my model until my new one arrives in about 2 weeks, then just hand my one to the courier as they give me the new one! so i won't be without a laptop :)

12. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Thats the fastest shipping? :/

13. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Sadly.. Apples BTO time has changed from 2 - 4 Days to 4 - 6 Days. Thus my estimated delivery date is in about 10 - 12 days from now, almost two weeks.

14. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Congratulations! :D:D:D

----------

Good displays are out there, and they exist! Third times the charm right? :)

15. macred macrumors regular

No computer, smartphone or tablet is perfect.

Apple's guilty of excessive marketing spin, which in turn sets astronomical expectations and evokes the OCD present in vast numbers of Apple customers.

That said the last five top of the line fully loaded BTO 15" MBP's with Retina I've bought for myself or family members have been excellent. Perfect? No & I don't expect them to be.

Thoroughly enjoyable, fast & reliable is what I care about.

16. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

i saw someone else post this and i agree with it: when you spend 4k on a computer you have a right to indulge your ocd, it better be damn near perfect

;)

17. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

+1

No computer is perfect, but that Dell XPS 15 comes closer than Apple in its non-yellow-tint IGZO display.

18. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I can understand how from peoples perspectives here those of us affected by screen imperfections can be seen as just displaying an unrealistic expectation of quality.

But I assure you this isn't the case with my situation. I have owned so many displays in my lifetime now, two colour classic iPods one iPod Touch, three iPhones (3GS, 4S & 5) two iPads, four Apple Notebooks and 6 desktop computer displays.

I have never EVER had issues like I have experienced with the Retina MacBook Pro yellow tinting situation. I'm not being OCD here, I'm fine with for example brightness not being uniform. I'm fine with the colours changing when you view it at an odd angle, but I seriously cannot be having a display where the top 50% is perfect white and the bottom 50% is yellow bordering on brown.

I did not need to do any kind of testing to check for my tinting issue, I did not sit here looking at my screen with patterns or bars of grey looking for problems. The issues I have were obvious the moment I opened my notebook and loaded up Safari. The difference from the top of the display to the bottom is that drastic.

I received an iPad Air a few days ago, lot of people are having yellow tint issues with this too and some may say they are also just being OCD and that there are no displays out there that could match these peoples expectations, but mine is perfect, whites are white and the display is completely uniform. I, someone who has now rejected two rMBP's for yellow tinting am completely 100% happy with an iPad Air that others are having yellow tint problems with.

It is totally not us that are the problem here it is either Apples suppliers or their manufacturing facilities that are causing these very real and obvious flaws.

For the price they charge and the marketing hype they create around their Retina displays being the benchmark of the industry it is one area they don't get a pass on, it has to be exactly how the ones in the stores look or they aren't correct. I saw some in-store and they did not have yellowing like mine did at all, they were perfectly uniform and that is what I expect to get when I pay for one!

19. irishlad92 macrumors newbie

Number 2 !

I waited till the 22nd of oct to get the updated rMBP 15", waiting like 1-2 months for the refresh, received it friday and had it in the store by monday for diagnostics. Currently waiting for number 2 to arrive, fun times :(

20. macred macrumors regular

For clarification, I was not directing my comments at you. I was conveying my years of experience and observation regarding Apple's addiction to exaggerated marketing hype.

I.E. when introducing the original iPad, Apple claimed it was "Magical & Revolutionary" once again revealing their propensity to make wild claims of superiority.

Your situation is clearly unacceptable, especially since Apple can do so much better.

21. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Ugh! Still have to use Win 8;)

@ macred

"I.E. when introducing the original iPad, Apple claimed it was "Magical & Revolutionary" once again revealing their propensity to make wild claims of superiority."

LoL. Can you name another electronic, technical device (other than the iPhone) that has blown up a three decade old belief and 'need' (laptop, desktop or my new fangled 'Net book')that has so disrupted, upended the industry....only to now be copied by EVERY OEM that 'used' to only make laptops, desktops or 'net books'?

Followed by the iPhone, the iPad was magical. As magic as magic can actually be in our real world universe. Between the iPhone, iPad and iOS, Apple has created an empire. Back and forth for some time as the most valuable company in the world...'propensity to make wild claims of seniority' is probably the worst way in words someone with intelligence would describe Apple's iPad. Truly revolutionary. Just like the iPhone. And the iPod. Love em or hate em, that's your prerogative. But to dismiss one of the great innovations of the early 21st century seems pretty silly.

Especially in a thread dealing with rMBP returns. As a 30 year computer user, 22 of which were Windows only...I can't tell you what a difference the switch to Apple has meant to me, my family, friends.....and anyone else I consistently had to spend time fixing issues of their creation. The iPad is the computer for 'everyone'. Most of the population checks email, Facebook, movies n music, maybe some web surfing or book reading...and we are now there, three years after the initial release of the iPad has become a 'true' computer replacement for the General Population. The Air. It weighs a pound and does everything...and a whole lot more with the App Store than outlined by the Gen Pop

For those of us needing more power....the rMBP exists. I've owned one since last summer, my wife got hers last fall....and we are replacing our six iMacs with rMBPs with our business. Again...and IMHO, another absolutely revolutionary computing device from Apple. Best computer I've ever owned....and almost 18 months after owning it, it still brings a smile to my face booting it up. Haswell update increases the storage speed with PCIe SSDs, TB2, A/C WiFi, and a more power efficient chip...that's about 7-10% faster than the one I own. The fastest computer I've ever had the pleasure to use. Not to mention improved iGPU and discreet graphics....Apple spews no BS.
    Find a single option on the market with this build quality, speed (CPU, GPU, & storage), display, support, OS, and energy when a plug isn't handy. As an owner of a pair of Mac Pros...and a two decade builder (& chaser) of PCs and the latest, fastest nVidia cards, CPUs and all the other BS that came with maintaining a Windows box....I'm no stranger to performance, speed....or magic. Apple has truly created magic with this laptop. The iPad. The iPhone. The iMac and the soon to be released Mac Pro for creative professionals will be a grand slam...taking up about as much room as a coffee machine.

That's. Magic. Or as close as physically and humanly possible to approach the very definition of magic

As always, YMMV

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I always buy in-store. Easier to exchange. I only exchange due to a hardware fault that requires service. For example my SSD failed on my MacBook Pro within a month, and instead of service the Genius simply asked the manager to approve an exchange instead. Though I guess the latter is about maintaining a good relationship with your local Apple Store.

23. forgetcolor macrumors member

are people working with apple for an exchange or just returning and ordering another (w/in 14 day)? i would tend toward the latter, but maybe i should just be telling apple I want another?

(I'm dealing with a yellow tint problem that is all over instead of severe only in one location --- see image here of new rMBP on left after hardware calibration, old cMBP on right: http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=446085&d=1383891371)