Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2022
I’ve been considering getting a MacBook and a Mac Mini. But something homding me back is that I don’t know what I’ll do when I have spent a lot of time arranging windows, opening tabs, having photos open etc on one machine (the Mac Mini) and then I need to take the project on the go with the MacBook.

Is there a fast way to continue your work from one mac to another? How does that…work?

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
I do it with my iMac and iPad Pro rather than two macs, but it would work the same way. Use iCloud and this:

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
iCloud and Handoff help.
But it is a disadvantage in having two machines, especially as a Mini offers few advantages over a MacBook (especially the Pro) in clamshell mode connected to a monitor

Last edited:
Reactions: Basic75

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I have a couple thoughts/suggestions but I’m also curious what others advise as I’m in a similar but different situation.

(My background/situation:
I used to use only one MacBook hooked up to monitors and external drives at my desk largely for this same reason—not being sure how to easily transfer work between two Macs. But especially the more I had to switch between being at my desk and going mobile, three things got annoying—the clutter of a dock and more cables to deal with, ejecting external drives each time, and fixing my window arrangement. macOS doesn’t seem to always know how to rearrange windows when a MacBook is sometimes connected/sometimes not connected to an external monitor, especially if you use multiple virtual desktops. It wasn’t terrible, but I found I’d often have to fix my window arrangement, and I guess that kind of thing really annoys me. And I found I wasn’t using my laptop as a laptop as much as I wanted to because of these hassles. So for all these and other reasons like better performance, for awhile I’ve been considering adding a desktop Mac. And I just got one, but unfortunately for my laptop I had to switch to a PC for a specific reason, so I don’t get some of the convenient Apple ecosystem features, eg. Airdrop. I’m still trying to work out the best workflow for me for switching between the two, but so far I think overall I’m liking having two dedicated devices.)

Arranging windows- as I mentioned above, I find it’s actually an advantage to have two dedicated devices when the screens are different sizes. You just set up your windows once for each and leave them. macOS never has to figure out what to do with windows when you switch between them, like it has to with one MacBook that is sometimes connected to an external monitor, sometimes not. This is good if, like me, you don’t often dramatically change your window arrangement. If you do then obviously you’d have to change your windows on your second Mac manually. But I’d think with the MacBook and external monitor having such different sized screens, they would need to be manually customized anyway.

Browser tabs- I recently realized the power of bookmark folders. You can easily save all your open tabs in a bookmark folder and name it your project name and the date, for example. And with Safari iCloud sync turned on on both devices, you can open all the tabs in that folder on either device.

Handoff is super convenient for opening an active application or document or browser tab on your second device, but the application has to support it and it only works with single items, not a group of open documents/photos. I’m not sure if any third party applications support Handoff.
If you’re working in something like Photoshop, maybe they have some cloud application you can work from. That would probably be the easiest way to be able to switch devices.
Next easiest would probably be to keep your entire project folder system in a cloud synced local folder (like Dropbox). It’ll sync your files in the background on both Macs so you just gotta close the files on one device and open them on the other.
And then if you don’t want to use cloud sync for whatever reason, you could just manually transfer. Easiest way to do that for Macs would be Airdrop. Way more convenient than say a thumb drive.

Personally I don’t want to use cloud, and actually I can’t because my work doesn’t allow it. I’d prefer to sync locally. I need to look into options like Synology.

Of course, there’s no perfect system, whether one or two Macs. Just gotta figure out which is best for you.

Last edited:

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I keep my desktop and documents folder in iCloud Drive. It surprised me how little space they take up. Totally seamless moving from one Mac to either my 3 iPads or my former second Mac. I don’t use Photos so can’t render an opinion. In Lightroom (cloudy) it’s a snap, much the same as my iCloud approach.

I had a multi Mac environment for probably 40 years. Don’t discount the added maintenance you need to find time for. Try to have very similar builds so they can store the same files, backup to similar size disks, clone's run on either one and be capable of doing the same work. A second Mac lite did not work for me. When it’s new Mac time, you may find you want/need 2 new Macs but the comparable 2nd one has yet to be released. For me, the M1 iPads caused me to go to a one Mac environment. Been there about a year and very happy I made the move.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I learned early on:
"Let each Mac... be its own Mac."

Trying to keep two (or more) Macs "in sync" can be a wild goose chase.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I learned early on:
"Let each Mac... be its own Mac."

Trying to keep two (or more) Macs "in sync" can be a wild goose chase.
Why is that? Is that because you think it’s fundamentally impossible, or the software to handle it well just hasn’t been made yet?

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
I’ve been considering getting a MacBook and a Mac Mini. But something homding me back is that I don’t know what I’ll do when I have spent a lot of time arranging windows, opening tabs, having photos open etc on one machine (the Mac Mini) and then I need to take the project on the go with the MacBook.

Is there a fast way to continue your work from one mac to another? How does that…work?

iCloud Sync/Files & Handoff make this possible. But it kind of depends on what apps you are using and what you are doing. You didn't provide a whole lot of information on this.

I move between my MacMini & MBP often for some projects but it's harder on things like Lightroom Classic because I keep all the files on my external drive attached to my MacMini (not a NAS) and easier on the new Lightroom where your files are stored on Adobe servers.

As far as safari tabs, it's easy w/ iCloud Sync especially if you set up Tab Groups. You you'll have to still open all the apps & windows/files on the other machine. It's not going to automatically open and arrange themselves for you.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
If you don't want to, or can't, use iCloud/cloud for syncing files between machines, for whatever reason, and don't want to use external SSDs, then you might want to consider the Terminal command "rsync". It is differential (minimizing bandwidth by only transferring changes), secure (encrypted), robust (checksums and interruptible/restartable), fast (single commandline), extensible (to/from Linux and Windows too), bidirectional (put/get), and maintains directory structure and file permissions. Personally, I keep projects synced between multiple machines, including Linux, over a WiFi network using "rsync" and "git".

An example "rsync" command would be something like:

Code:
rsync --rsh='ssh -p22' -avz --delete /Users/<username>/MyProject-1 <2nd-machine>.local:/Users/<username>

which will synchronize the directory "MyProject-1" and all of its subdirectories from your current machine to a second machine.

...just another way to synchronize files without using the Cloud.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
iCloud works well to keep a bunch of things in sync; as does Handoff.

I'm not a big fan of Apple's iCloud Drive implementation, but obviously saving files there, or Dropbox, OneDrive, etc, etc, will keep things in sync.

I use Resilio Sync to synchronise my Documents folder, so that saving any file is automatically synced to the other. Don't sync preferences or other system stuff, though.

What I like about Resilio is that it doesn't sync on a schedule: it reacts to disk changes instantly; it works when I take my laptop somewhere else; and it doesn't require a subscription.

Reactions: Ray2

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2022
iCloud works well to keep a bunch of things in sync; as does Handoff.

I'm not a big fan of Apple's iCloud Drive implementation, but obviously saving files there, or Dropbox, OneDrive, etc, etc, will keep things in sync.

I use Resilio Sync to synchronise my Documents folder, so that saving any file is automatically synced to the other. Don't sync preferences or other system stuff, though.

What I like about Resilio is that it doesn't sync on a schedule: it reacts to disk changes instantly; it works when I take my laptop somewhere else; and it doesn't require a subscription.
When you use handoff, do both macs have to be awake? Can you still do handoff when one is asleep, or remotely from outside your home wifi network?

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
When you use handoff, do both macs have to be awake? Can you still do handoff when one is asleep, or remotely from outside your home wifi network?

Here are some links to what Handoff is & what it does:

I think it would be really helpful if you described a more specific situation in which people could help you with. General questions will only get you general answers. Handoff works for some thing but not others.

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2022
Here are some links to what Handoff is & what it does:

I think it would be really helpful if you described a more specific situation in which people could help you with. General questions will only get you general answers. Handoff works for some thing but not others.
Well, one situation is: i have a dozen tabs in a safari window open researching something in the mac mini at home.

I drive to starbucks with the macbook, can I easily bring that window up on the macbook? What if the mac mini is asleep?

Same situation with an ms word document, or a PDF open in preview.

Can I just restore all of the windows/tabs from multiple apps that are currently displayed on the mac mini all at once in the MBA or do I need to do it one by one?

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
Well, one situation is: i have a dozen tabs in a safari window open researching something in the mac mini at home.

I drive to starbucks with the macbook, can I easily bring that window up on the macbook? What if the mac mini is asleep?

Same situation with an ms word document, or a PDF open in preview.

Can I just restore all of the windows/tabs from multiple apps that are currently displayed on the mac mini all at once in the MBA or do I need to do it one by one?

I addressed the Safari tab groups here. Does not matter if the Mini is asleep as long as you've saved the tab group. And it will open up all the tabs in that tab group on the new machine but you still have to click on the tab group. Here's a video:

If you are using Word and saving in iCloud, Dropbox or even OneDrive, you should be setting to auto save and saving before you move to the next machine. Yes, you'll have to open them up yourself still. You're just better off actually saving your word documents when you leave one machine and pick up where you left off by opening the saved document when you're ready to begin work on the other machine. Just save the file. But it should be listed under "Recent" when you launch Word. You can even pin it if it's something you always want quick access to.

Handoff is more for moving from an iOS Device to a Mac OS desktop/MBP immediately like composing an email or looking at a particular webpage or even composing an iMessage.

No, PDFs will not automatically open up for you in Preview. You will need to know where the file is an open it yourself. PDF Expert by Readdle shows you your most recent files when you launch the application though. Very handy.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.