Those of you with Laptop & Desktop....

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by UberDy, Sep 28, 2008.

1. UberDy macrumors newbie

Is it worth it? I am trying to justify picking up a MacBook to go along with the 20inch iMac I just got a bit ago. I find myself sometimes wishing I had a laptop, but I do have an iphone...so not so bad.

What needs make it worth it to have both? How is your syncing done? Thanks!

2. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I currently have an aluminum iMac at home and I use a Macbook Air at work. I mainly use the desktop for games and watching movies while the Air is purely for work and emails. Previously I was using iDisk to sync my work documents but it has proven to be unreliable over the course of 6 months. I still use Mobileme for address book contacts and calendars though. As for syncing work documents, I use chronosync.

Chronosync would sync my files and folders to a portable flash drive, which I would then bring home and plug into my desktop and chronosync does the rest. Very convenient and reliable.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

It really depends on your lifestyle and needs. How much of your stuff do you want to take with you. Seems like between your iPhone and iPod Touch, you can mobilize quite a few items.

I don't have a desktop nor have I had one for several years. I use my MacBook everywhere I go. I sync items with my iPod Touch for those occasions that I'm not carrying my MacBook.

Of course, Steve Jobs and thousands of shareholders would love for you to add to your collection. -GDF

4. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

I'm not going to be original: what do you need? And I don't mean whether you have to buy a laptop or not, I mean what do you plan on using it for? And is the difference in doing it on a laptop and an iPhone worth carrying additional ~2kg?

5. izym macrumors newbie

I use Dropbox for synchronizing my documents between laptop and desktop, and my iPhone for music. I don't really do much gaming on my laptop, pretty much only coding, surfing, email and IM. I also have an external hdd which have turned out to be very useful. I used to hate having it like this, but now that I got the right stuff for doing it this way its not that bad, in fact I like it :p

6. VaMac macrumors member

I have both an iMac, and an old Dell laptop (waiting for the new Macbooks to come out) and I use the iMac more but the Dell is old and slow so I tend not to use it if I plan to be on computer for a long time. :apple:

7. belunos macrumors member

If you have the money, get both. It's nice having something with power and a big screen for doing heavy duty computing, but it's also great to be able to veg out and surf the web while Family Guy plays on the tv in the background :D

8. bwiissofly macrumors 6502

I use both my iMac and Macbook.

iMac exclusively for school work and main needs but when I go to the library, My Macbook comes in handy!

With a Mac...you can never go wrong.:apple:

9. X3n0 AcId macrumors regular

very well said..

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's very convenient to have a desktop with a bigger screen, maybe faster components at home/work when you just want to relax a bit. You never had to search for an outlet or anything which is great. Of course you lack the portability which is where the notebook comes to play.

Here you don't need it to be fast unless you plan to work on the go (which means you may not need a desktop at home, but rather a dock and external monitor). You can do what you need to on the go. If you're in school you can take note; if you are working, you can work [and play] when you commute.

When you mentioned iPhone, sorry it's just a glorified phone. Nothing more; you can't edit documents, you have squint to see whatever websites and not to mention there is no flash (ATM). It's also kind of locked down. It is nothing like running a notebook computer (at least not yet).

With regards to syncing, I use MobileMe to sync everything between my phone (not iPhone), iPod, 3 laptops, and desktop (or rather a MPC). Very convenient. As for documents on stuff, there is always the iDisk I can use or Dropbox. A flash drive comes in handy too! Combine this with a 3G data card, you are always synced.

My advice, if you can afford it, buy a notebook; it doesn't have to be powerful. I have one that's pitifully slow, but it's a tablet and it does it's job well; it has good battery life. Most importantly:
    iPhone = phone
    iPhone ≠ mobile computer

Yes that's before you computer goes dead or broken on you for no reason.

11. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I don't even own a desktop anymore. I don't have enough cash to own a laptop and a desktop, and this MacBook has the power to do what I need to do and play the games I need to play. When I need to take it to the library or where ever, the portability is worth it.