Those on 10.10.3, should I upgrade yet?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by alksion, Apr 8, 2015.

  1. alksion macrumors 68000


    Sep 10, 2010
    Los Angeles County
    I apologize for adding to the number of similar questions, but I'm doing my searching and not finding any straight answers.

    I currently am on 10.9.5 and have been holding off on 10.10 for various issues reported here on the forums since its release. Can anyone whose done a recent upgrade from Mavericks give me obvious or noticeable issues with 10.10.3 you've experienced that you did not have on 10.9.5?

    I know of all the reasons why I should upgrade, but I don't want to pull the trigger just yet if things still haven't shaped up. I currently have no known issues on my late 2013 fully spec'd iMac running 10.9.5 and I don't want that to change.
  2. aristobrat macrumors G5

    Oct 14, 2005
    If you use Time Machine to backup your 10.9.5, you can upgrade to 10.10.3 and later restore back to 10.9.5 if you need to.

    I upgraded my work rMBP to 10.10.3 earlier this afternoon and haven't had any issue since. I just upgraded my home MBA and haven't had any problems. But I've only logged a few hours with 10.10.3 in total, so it's still too early to tell.
  3. alksion, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

    alksion thread starter macrumors 68000


    Sep 10, 2010
    Los Angeles County
    Thanks for the reply! Is this coming from 10.9.5?

    Edit: I went through with the upgrade. I'll report back after a few days of usage.
  4. gusnyc macrumors 6502

    Sep 18, 2007
    New York City
    If I may add, I upgraded my iMac 5K to 10.10.3 and everything works much much better than before.
  5. dastinger macrumors 6502a


    Mar 18, 2012
    If there's something I've learned since Yosemite was released is that some people have issues, others don't. Same hardware or different, doesn't matter. Only way to know for sure is upgrading and testing it yourself.
  6. wkalexand macrumors newbie

    Jul 1, 2010
  7. desertman macrumors 6502a

    Jul 14, 2008
    Arizona, USA
    Wait! Some people - including me - seem to have serious problems with OS X 10.10.3. See thread "Empty Dock icons after updating to OS X 10.10.3".
  8. fhall1 macrumors 68040


    Dec 18, 2007
    (Central) NY State of mind
    I too am waiting at 10.9.5 to see if 10.10.x is relatively stable enough to upgrade to. Hard to judge so far, but early returns look like I may be waiting until 10.10.4
  9. XoFu macrumors regular


    Apr 8, 2013
    Beware for third party software compatibility

    I've updated my 2013 MBA and my 2010 MBW. The only issue I have is the BT Apple mouse connection dropping sometimes. Other than that no issues.

    I would recommend to check for third party software compatibility if you use something really vital for you.

    Good luck
  10. Badagri macrumors 6502a

    Aug 9, 2012
    It be funny if this series is not fixed until the next full OS release.
  11. Morpheo macrumors 65816


    Feb 26, 2014
    Updated my 2 Mac Pros yesterday. Smooth sailing since then. I guess I'm in the "some don't have issues" camp. 10.10.3 is fast, stable, Safari performance is improved, I never had any issue with my wifi, no afp auto-renaming, what can I say, it works! ;) ...Haven't tried Photos yet.
  12. crjackson2134 macrumors 68040


    Mar 6, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    No, not funny at all, but I won't be surprised at all if it turns out that way. I give serious thought to going back to 10.9, and to be honest, 10.8 worked better than 10.9 for me. I just wish they would lock into a version and stick with it until the bugs are worked out.
  13. Badagri, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015

    Badagri macrumors 6502a

    Aug 9, 2012
    Personally it speaks volumes where their priorities lie with the likes of… "Adds over 300 new Emoji characters"

    As usually by x.x.2 we're getting close to a reliable path. This isn't the case and their OS release cycle lately has been ending with x.x.5.


    As it stands.

    10.10.3. Two more releases before they chuck the towel in…
  14. jasnw macrumors 6502a


    Nov 15, 2013
    Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
    OS X 10.10 is definitely a YMMV upgrade. Other than the ugly flat/primary-colors GUI look, I'm OK with the OS performance. That said, do NOT convert all your iPhoto libraries over to the new Photos app yet. That beast needs at least three more iterations before it's ready for prime time.

Share This Page