Those on Verizon Contracts Upgrading to SE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by puma1552, Mar 24, 2016.

1. puma1552, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016

puma1552 macrumors 601

Curious, how are you planning on doing this?

Is there any way to upgrade to an SE if still on contract other than having to pay the full $500 up front? I'm on a launch day 6 so I'm on contract until September.

I'd happily consider the Apple trade in program (looks like I'd get $250 for my 6 and then spread the remaining $250 over 24 months, which would only be $10 a month), but I can't seem to figure out if I can do that while still under contract or not (do not want my plan or plan price to change, except of course the $10 a month extra for the new phone).

Is there a way to get an SE while still under contract without a large cash layout up front?

EDIT: I looked at Verizon's site, they will let me do it for $20.83 a month for 24 months (aka the full $500) AND I would not be able to trade in my 6 to them to reduce the $20.83 a month? wtf?

2. risk235 macrumors member

You can trade in your 6 and they will issue you an electronic gift card. You can use that as a down payment

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Why would you want to trade in with them? They give you AWFUL prices. Bite the bullet with the SE monthly payments, then sell your iPhone 6 for $400-$500. Take that money and pay off your SE.

4. puma1552, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016

puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

But can I do that since my 6 was a subsidized device and I'm still on contract?

And if so, would getting the SE in this way be considered a contract extension or no? Would I be off contract then?

EDIT: Looking closer at the VZW site, they actually clearly say if I get an SE - even at $20.83 a month - I HAVE to turn in my 6, which is ridiculous. They also are calling the upgrade to the SE an Edge upgrade...

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

These are questions I don't 100% know, so for a final word, I would chat with a Verizon CSR: http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/contact-us.html

To my understanding, you are on contract because your device isn't paid in full.

I think you could do this (but like I said, I talk to a CSR first):
    1. Buy the SE for full-price on payments/installments (this doesn't affect your contract).
    2. Pay off your ETF with Verizon (they can tell you how much it would be, and you can determine whether or not it would be worth it for you).
    3. Sell your clean/off-contract iPhone 6 for $400-$500.
    4. Use that money to recoup your ETF fee/pay off your SE to reduce your payments.
    Or you could just wait until September.

6. daniel1948 macrumors 6502

daniel1948

Sometimes I've found the Verizon web site to be less than entirely helpful. Phone Verizon customer service. (*611 from your Verizon phone) I have found them to be extremely helpful and friendly. They've even offered me better deals than stated on their web site. If you are a long-time customer, and you ask nicely, they might even cut a little bit off your contract fee. Who knows? It costs nothing but your time to phone them and ask.

7. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

I think this is probably right, I'd probably have to end the contract and pay the ETF, which even in month 18 looks to be $200+.

I guess I'll just wait and see what the 7 offers in September, and decide then.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I think that's a good call.