Those Running IOS5 GM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daniel97, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

Do we need to restore when IOS5 is released to the general public so that we fall back into line for automatic updates? Or will itunes recognise that theres a new version out 5.1 (eventually) and let us update as normal?

2. cschmelz macrumors 6502

Wait until release today, compared versions. Most likely they are the same (GM=release) and then it doesn't matter as they are exactly equivalent.

3. zign macrumors 6502

zign

No need to install the public, as it will be exactly the same.

4. adztaylor macrumors 68000

This, plus when iOS 5.1 comes out you won't need to plug into iTunes to update. Just go to software update in Settings > General.

5. bryanjc macrumors regular

The Gold Master will still expire.

Please stop advising people they do not need to upgrade.

THEY DO.

6. zign macrumors 6502

zign

Why would they expire? It's the same as public release, but given to devs so that they can upgrade their apps etc... As long as the release number is the same, which it will be, it will not expire. You are probably talking about betas.

7. adztaylor macrumors 68000

The GM does NOT expire.

Please stop misinforming people.

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The GM is what was installed on new phones at the factory... Though they may be a few point releases past this now, it's the same release and you will be able to do delta OTA updates if the current release is different.

9. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

Any way safe you can get the GM if you're not a developer?

10. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

No point now, just wait for the official release in 6 hours.

11. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

12. Deamos macrumors member

Wut? Are you high or something? GM does not expire.

Heres the main rule of GM vs Release.

GM 99% of the time is the release version. If there was going to be a change between the GM and the release, they would have issued a new GM. It has happened before.

Therefore.... THE GM = Release. No need to update if you have been using the GM. Please stop spreading lies.

13. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

14. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

If you are asking that question, you shouldn't be upgrading. Do a simple internet or forum search to find your answer.

15. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

16. The Phazer macrumors 68030

The only way to be 100% sure is when the final version is released to check the build number against the build number of the GM. If it is the same, they are the same, period, and future upgrades will work fine.

It is extremely likely that the build number will be the same as -

1). IIRC a difference has only happened once in iOS history, and that's because a 2nd GM was issued due to a pretty bad bug.

2). GM are made because the carriers have to be given seven days to test the new firmware in case it causes network problems (iOS has never had a publically known problem with this, but some other manufacturers for example have produced test phones that crashed every cell tower they connected to in testing, causing the entire network to fail for everyone in that area.). If any revisions are made, the 7 days starts from scratch. We can assume with reasonable safety that if there had been a problem noticed since the GM was released, then the final version won't be getting released today.

Phazer

17. Toonbay macrumors 6502

Toonbay

Whitley Bay, North East UK (God's Country)
    Been runing ios5 GM for over a week now with no problems, runs great plus icloud.
    My me.com address was only thing not working but has just down so this morning at some point.

Love icloud, very easy to use:D

18. Dizzie20vt macrumors member

I'm terrible at waiting. I installed the GM just now.

It's like having a new phone haha

shame I lost all my movies and tunes during the update, but it didn't take long to upload them all again.

uploading tunes over the air is really slow compared to over the wire though :(