Those running the GM - will you be prompted to update?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VladM, Jun 20, 2010.

1. VladM macrumors regular

When the iOS 4 is finally made available through iTunes, will the people running the GM be prompted to update? My previous experience with the GM for iPhone OS 3 tells me no - so how do you ensure that the GM on the iPhone is replaced by the final release version.

And yes, I know that many people believe that the GM *is* the final release version, but after finding quite a few bugs, I really don't think so.

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

If not you can just get the IPSW off somewhere and shift+restore or whatever.

3. VladM thread starter macrumors regular

Of course, but I would like to download the IPSW from iTunes to ensure it's the final release. Will this be possible?

4. monksealpup macrumors regular

I highly doubt you'll be prompted to download. Just plug the phone in, click restore, and it'll download the new .ipsw from Apple's servers and then load it.

Keep in mind that this DOES mean you have to wait forever for your apps/music to reinstall, but such is the price for playing with iOS 4 for two weeks. Maybe iTunes 9.2 will help to this end.

5. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I can't speak fully for Apple, but generally speaking, changing the underlying code of a GM takes a showstopper (i.e. a very severe bug) because it would mean running the new code through all the extensive testing to make sure nothing has been broken by the fix.

I would guess that any non-blocker bugs found after the GM will be addressed in the first update to iOS 4 (like 4.0.1 or whatever) later.

6. VladM thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, at the moment when I try and do that, I get the "Resource not found" error - probably because my version is higher than the one available on the server.

7. Loki666 macrumors member

I have GM 4.0 running on my wife's 4.0. The only issue is no SMS so im hoping it will prompt her for an update

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Say what? haha. GM (the public version) isn't out. Plus no SMS? :confused:

9. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

GM means the Gold Master, not necessarily the public release. :)

I've been using the GM for about 10 days on my 3G S. No issues so far.

10. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I have the GM on my 3GS... however, it is the GM candidate, not the GM itself. ;)

11. Cardiiiii macrumors member

What's the difference?

12. attapl macrumors newbie

Last year the 3.0GM was identical to the public release. I expect this year will be the same, negating the need to update.

Also, if you have no SMS after the update, you have the wrong texting plan on your account. This issue only appears after upgrading to 4.0, and the correct plan is identically priced. Just to to AT&T's MyWireless, click Manage Features, and make sure your text messaging plan's name starts with "messaging" and not "text messaging".

13. monksealpup macrumors regular

This.

The GM candidate is basically a release candidate (RC). I suspect Jobs called it this knowing tons of people (us) would snap it up and help Apple test it for two weeks. Smart move on his part. I'm willing to bet large gobs of money tomorrow's build number is different than the GM candidate. I have personally experienced far too many bugs to believe this is what they'd ship to the general public.

Note: After the keynote was posted, I went back and compared the verbiage used to announce the 3.0 GM versus the 4.0 GM candidate. He wouldn't inject "candidate" in there unless he meant that it was an RC build, primarily to help devs with multitasking and other important issues. All of that stuff works, it's some of the other stuff that doesn't (and devs would live with that stuff since it doesn't affect testing their apps).

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I'm hoping this GM Candidate build is not the final version, performance on an iPhone 3G (fully restored and set up as a new phone) is abysmal. I knew iOS 4 wouldn't bring me all the new features but I didn't think it would be so incredibly slow on my iPhone.

Using Safari whilst listening to music (something 2.x and 3.x handled without any issues whatsoever) causes music to stutter and sometimes stop all together when loading a large web page.

There are huge wait times to open the messaging app, Mail, folders, even locking the phone seems to take twice as long. You push the lock button, 3....2.....1......click.

I'll be looking VERY closely at the build number when the final version hits tomorrow. So far, incredibly disappointing.

15. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Though I would expect iPhone 4 to be shipping with that version, at the very least. THey'll have to have been loading firmware onto it for a few weeks now I'd say to have got everything packaged up for launch.

16. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

And that's why, Chundles, we need to get you hooked up with an iP4.

17. monksealpup macrumors regular

No. I'm sure the (actual) iOS 4 GM was sent to the factory on Thursday or so, which is why none of them were "prepared for shipment" before then. They can flash TONS of phones at once (since this is largely an unattended activity). The trick is assembling them which requires humans/machines.

Even if they only did just 100 phones at a time, and it takes 5 minutes to flash, they can program just under 30k a day. Obviously they're doing more than 100 phones at a time...

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yup. Pronto. Anybody willing to hook me up?

Otherwise me and my credit card have a date with the Apple Store in July when they finally arrive down under. Who knows, by then the white one will be ready so I can think about it for a second before I buy my black one.

Factory Unlocked FTW!

19. PG-Monkey macrumors regular

Actually on this note does anyone have the .ipsw for 3.1.3? or a link to where I can get it from?

iOS4 is working ok on my 3G at the moment although it has crashed when trying to move apps and seems to be something funny going on when sending messages - ie it doesn't. You have to restart the phone to get the message to go.

Pile of crap. haha

Plus point though like the Unified inbox and the Glass Shelf dock. Actually quite noticeable.

20. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Let's define the terms here. My understanding is that GM (gold master) is the version *ready* to be released to the public - i.e. synonymous to RC (release candidate). It does not have to be the version actually released to the public.

Maybe we should all use "RC" instead of "GM" or "GM Candidate" to avoid confusion. ;)

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Last year, I was running 3.0 GM the day it was leaked to the net. When the official 3.0 final was released, I was not prompted to download it because iTunes already thought I was running the latest.

22. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Just checked the version of the public release of iOS 4 as my wife updated her 3G S to iOS 4. Both that and my "GM" (or "RC") have 4.0 (8A293). :)

23. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

+1

I even manually forced an upgrade on release day because I thought I was "missing" something.

24. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

This time you won't need to. The version numbers are the same, like I said above. :)