Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AintDutchNotMuch

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2015
The Netherlands
I switched from Android to iOS six months ago. Had the iPhone 6 and especially iTunes drove me almost insane. I'm someone who downloads songs a couple of times a week so I transfer a lot of from pc to phone. Also the camera in low light was not as good as I expected. The notification center is not as useful and customizable as on a Samsung phone with Touchwiz/Android. I also missed a normal alphabetical app drawer. Finding a contact and quickly dialing someone was not possible via the dial pad on iOS. Now since one month I'm using a Galaxy S6 and I'm very VERY happy with it and it feels like I'm back home again:)

Last edited:

AintDutchNotMuch

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2015
The Netherlands
It drove me crazy two hours after the purchase of my iPhone. I am still mad at it and won't use it. Never liked it and never will.
I completely share your sentiment.

Yeah, what drove me crazy too was the fact that iTunes changed the order of the songs in my playlist to alphabetical EVERY time I synced my phone with it. And to me, one of the most important aspects of having a playlist is arranging the songs in the order that I want. I still get mad when I look back at my 'wonderful' experiences with iTunes:mad:

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
Yeah, what drove me crazy too was the fact that iTunes changed the order of the songs in my playlist to alphabetical EVERY time I synced my phone with it. And to me, one of the most important aspects of having a playlist is arranging the songs in the order that I want. I still get mad when I look back at my 'wonderful' experiences with iTunes:mad:
I use Spotify so I never have to worry about iTunes or messed up playlists. However, is annoying that I miss out on Siri integration.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Just wondering if your all happy, or ya wanna go back? What do you like or not with the iPhone?What if anything do you miss from Android?

I went from the Moto X to the iPhone 6S. My last iPhone was the 3GS.

I liked:
- Battery life was really impressive
- Fingerprint sensor
- Camera - Loved the slow-mo
- iTunes - I liked having photos etc. sync with my Mac so easily
- iMessage

I disliked:
- The blue "Google Maps is using your location" banner that I couldn't turn off
- No back button
- Scrolling on websites is so slow. I like the speed and ability to 'flick' on Android
- iMessage - although I liked it, I also hated it. Messages seemed to sometimes take far too long to get through
- The fact Apple Maps was the default and couldn't be changed
- The ease at missing texts/emails. If missed initially, they're only noticed when one goes to the homescreen
- The lack of a notification bar at the top of the screen
- Bloatware
- Not being able to zoom in on mobile websites. I do this several times a day.
- Siri - I found its 'friendliness' quite annoying after a while and the results it gave not as good at Google Now.
- Fingerprint sensor was almost too sensitive
- But above everything else, the lack of a notification LED. I hated slipping back into the habit of constantly checking my phone 'just in case'.

Ultimately, I had fourteen days to change my mind, and missed too many things about Android to give it up. I returned the iPhone earlier in the week.

In my opinion, they're both very good, but it depends on what you're used to. I'm just happy I'm one of the few that considers all options rather than being so blinkered I swear allegiance to one system and stick to it regardless.

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010

Strange. Pretty sure it didn't do this to me.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
I went from the Moto X to the iPhone 6S. My last iPhone was the 3GS.

I liked:
- Battery life was really impressive
- Fingerprint sensor
- Camera - Loved the slow-mo
- iTunes - I liked having photos etc. sync with my Mac so easily
- iMessage

I disliked:
- The blue "Google Maps is using your location" banner that I couldn't turn off
- No back button
- Scrolling on websites is so slow. I like the speed and ability to 'flick' on Android
- iMessage - although I liked it, I also hated it. Messages seemed to sometimes take far too long to get through
- The fact Apple Maps was the default and couldn't be changed
- The ease at missing texts/emails. If missed initially, they're only noticed when one goes to the homescreen
- The lack of a notification bar at the top of the screen
- Bloatware
- Not being able to zoom in on mobile websites. I do this several times a day.
- Siri - I found its 'friendliness' quite annoying after a while and the results it gave not as good at Google Now.
- Fingerprint sensor was almost too sensitive
- But above everything else, the lack of a notification LED. I hated slipping back into the habit of constantly checking my phone 'just in case'.

Ultimately, I had fourteen days to change my mind, and missed too many things about Android to give it up. I returned the iPhone earlier in the week.

In my opinion, they're both very good, but it depends on what you're used to. I'm just happy I'm one of the few that considers all options rather than being so blinkered I swear allegiance to one system and stick to it regardless.

Many of us (particularly the ones in this thread) have tried other options, and decided that iOS/iPhones are the phones for us. Just like you've decided that Android phones work for you. No need to talk down to people.

C

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
Many of us (particularly the ones in this thread) have tried other options, and decided that iOS/iPhones are the phones for us. Just like you've decided that Android phones work for you. No need to talk down to people.

C
I don't feel like he was talking down to us. The last paragraph was a little bit, but I don't think that was his intention.

Reactions: dk001

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013

C

Sorry you felt I was talking down to you. Certainly not my intention.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
The last paragraph definitely was (IMHO), and was what I was referring to. The rest of it was simply his opinion, and is as valid as any iPhone user's opinion of their phone.

C
I now see what you mean. I was talking down to all the people on this forum/in my life that go on about how rubbish one system is and how great the other is without actually experiencing them.

When I turned up at work last week with an iPhone, you'd think man had landed on Jupiter. When I then went back to Android, you'd think man had had sex with Jupiter and the offspring had become prime minister.

Sorry you took offense to it.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
I now see what you mean. I was talking down to all the people on this forum/in my life that go on about how rubbish one system is and how great the other is without actually experiencing them.

When I turned up at work last week with an iPhone, you'd think man had landed on Jupiter. When I then went back to Android, you'd think man had had sex with Jupiter and the offspring had become prime minister.

Sorry you took offense to it.

No worries. I would agree that there's lots of fan-boys (and girls) in here, but it IS an Apple forum. So not entirely unexpected. But in this thread in particular (given the title), most of the respondents HAVE tried both systems, and are choosing their technology with eyes wide open. I tried my Samsung S5 for 11 months. Didn't end up liking it. Doesn't mean the Android system is bad, or that Android users are un-informed about the better options. Just means it wasn't for me. And I definitely miss some of the things that you mentioned missing on your list, the notification LED in particular. And my S5 would even vibrate when I picked it up, if I missed a notification. Which meant I never even had to look to see if I had a message or anything.

Of course, some people might say your 14 day try-out wasn't long enough to give the Apple system a fair try... But I'll forgive you for that... :)

C

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
LOL. Don't blame you there! Are you going back to your Moto X, or trying something new, like one of the new Nexus's? They look pretty sweet.

C
I'm still on my Moto X. The other thing about Android is its obsession with flagship phones being massive. I use my phone every day, all day. I'd gladly pay £1,000+ for a truly great phone, but Android does seem to chase the cheap end, and the expensive ones seem to just be bigger rather than better.

The new Moto X is too big.
The Samsungs aren't pure Android.
The Sonys are a bit too square and ugly for me.
The One Plus phones are a bit too cheap and I hear customer service is poor.

For now, I'm sticking with my Moto X. If, a year from now, the Android market is the same, I may switch to iPhone regardless of the niggles I've mentioned. In my opinion, Android hardware needs to seriously step-up.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
I'm still on my Moto X. The other thing about Android is its obsession with flagship phones being massive. I use my phone every day, all day. I'd gladly pay £1,000+ for a truly great phone, but Android does seem to chase the cheap end, and the expensive ones seem to just be bigger rather than better.

The new Moto X is too big.
The Samsungs aren't pure Android.
The Sonys are a bit too square and ugly for me.
The One Plus phones are a bit too cheap and I hear customer service is poor.

For now, I'm sticking with my Moto X. If, a year from now, the Android market is the same, I may switch to iPhone regardless of the niggles I've mentioned. In my opinion, Android hardware needs to seriously step-up.
My same sentiments. Only Samsung is making flagships at a smallish size. There always seems to be a but with android phones these days.

Reactions: dk001 and Mildredop

CaCHooKa Man

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I switched back to an iPhone after not having one since the 3G 7 years ago. Since then I've had 7 Android phones.

Things I don't like after a month:
  • File management (folders, file access without jailbreaking, organization, etc.)
  • Photo management - Photos is a mess with how everything is lumped together
  • iTunes and Music management
  • Notifications - Home screen badges and the notification center are lacking. Often times I don't even know I have a new notification.
  • Siri - Google Now is leaps and bounds ahead of Siri
  • No app drawer - I don't really like the look of having all my apps on the homescreens. My homescreens still look cluttered even after jailbreaking and using Apex 2 to consolidate app icons.
  • No widgets without jailbreaking
  • Not being able to change the default browser or maps app
  • Slow scrolling in Safari - installed a jailbreak tweak to fix that
  • No back button
  • Fonts and icons not easily customizable without jailbreak
  • Having to go to the Settings app to access app settings instead of having them in the apps themselves. Camera is the main offender here. I shouldn't have to leave the app completely to change the resolution that I want to record a video in.
  • No MicroSD support
Basically, I had to jailbreak to add basic functions that should already be there

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
I switched back to an iPhone after not having one since the 3G 7 years ago. Since then I've had 7 Android phones.

Things I don't like after a month:
  • File management (folders, file access without jailbreaking, organization, etc.)
  • Photo management - Photos is a mess with how everything is lumped together
  • iTunes and Music management
  • Notifications - Home screen badges and the notification center are lacking. Often times I don't even know I have a new notification.
  • Siri - Google Now is leaps and bounds ahead of Siri
  • No app drawer - I don't really like the look of having all my apps on the homescreens. My homescreens still look cluttered even after jailbreaking and using Apex 2 to consolidate app icons.
  • No widgets without jailbreaking
  • Not being able to change the default browser or maps app
  • Slow scrolling in Safari - installed a jailbreak tweak to fix that
  • No back button
  • Fonts and icons not easily customizable without jailbreak
  • Having to go to the Settings app to access app settings instead of having them in the apps themselves. Camera is the main offender here. I shouldn't have to leave the app completely to change the resolution that I want to record a video in.
  • No MicroSD support
Basically, I had to jailbreak to add basic functions that should already be there
I don't know if you know this but you can change your browser and maps with jailbreak tweaks also.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I switched from my OnePlus One to 6S, and I am staying. (Staying means I will be using the iPhone as my daily driver). I am, however, not new to iOS as I used iOS in the past (3GS, 4, and 5, and also iPads).

Things I like about my 6S:
- TouchID. Really convenient. I have an iPad mini 2 and now I'm getting annoyed with the passcode lock screen
- Battery life, so far. My OnePlus One was great, but after Lollipop update, its battery life turned mediocre. My iPhone 5's battery life was not great either, but it turned out to be a defective battery. Will see how my 6S goes in the long run, but so far I'm impressed.
- Fluidity of apps
- Camera. My OnePlus One's camera lags even during startup.
- No more System processes/System UI force closing.
- The comfort of knowing I will be having OS updates for the foreseeable future

The only things I missed from Android are the more flexible "open in other app" and better Google Maps integration (unfortunately since Apple has not rolled out public transit in many regions, I still use/think Google Maps to be superior).

Reactions: iphonedude2008

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
It drove me crazy two hours after the purchase of my iPhone. I am still mad at it and won't use it. Never liked it and never will.
I completely share your sentiment.
With iCloud, thankfully we don't have to use iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.