Carrier Those that purchased 5S on contract before 1/14, then switched to Mobile Share Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KylePowers, Sep 17, 2014.

1. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Presumably you're available for a NEXT upgrade like myself. Does AT&T require you to return the 5S if you so choose to utilize the NEXT upgrade (for the iPhone 6, for example) or pay an ETF, as its contract isn't up yet?

Or do you just all of a sudden own a 5S that you can unlock and what-have-you?

Thanks!

2. evan3168, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

evan3168 macrumors newbie

From what I understand, it works like this. I will look to find the FAQ/article I read that confirmed this, but I haven't seen any language about Next requiring you to pay an ETF (most def not, else why would you switch?) nor trading in your current device.

They're basically taking a $200 loss to get you on their newest plan while also hoping you do choose to trade-in and can cover some of that loss by reselling your device.

EDIT: Can't find an FAQ or anything that explicitly addresses this, but when I go through the upgrade process on AT&T's website, it wants to charge me the full value of the phone, doesn't mention a trade-in and does say, as promotional text, "Get up to a $300 credit when trading in an iPhone."

To me this means the 5S is mine/yours to keep or do whatever you want with it.

3. kryptonkid07 macrumors regular

kryptonkid07

I got the new iPhone 6 before my 2 year contract was over. It's technically supposed to be over in November, but it allowed me to get the new phone on Next. I bought my fiancee an iPhone 5S in late November of last year and it says she's eligible for an upgrade through Next. I haven't read that they want their phone back.

My iPhone 5 is pretty beat up, but I'm hoping to get at least 175 through Best Buy or Apple.

My fiancees iPhone 5S looks pretty good as she usually has it in a case and I'm hoping to get at least 275.

4. KylePowers thread starter macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Thanks for the replies y'all. I think I'll just wing it and purchase a 6/Plus via NEXT. Should be fine from my understanding, and I'll have a 5S to unlock and sell as I please.

If all else fails, there're 2 other lines on the plan with actual upgrades available, so there's a plan B :cool:

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

You own the 5s. No need to return. Basically, AT&T just waived the remaining "subsidy repayments". I have an iPhone 6+ pre-ordered via Next replacing my iPhone 5s line. :)

6. evan3168 macrumors newbie

For what it's worth, I'm doing the same thing. Don't have a Plan B like you except to walk away if they want my 5S or me to pay an ETF! Doesn't make financial sense for my situation to switch unless I can sell off the 5S