Those that switched from Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 15 noveltybread, Sep 10, 2008.

1. 15 noveltybread macrumors newbie

My contract with them is up this Friday. Does this mean I can drop them and get an iPhone that day or should I wait until Saturday to avoid the ETF. I work all day Saturday, I'd like to get it ASAP, I've been waiting 8 months now!!!!

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You should probably call them to be sure. It would be a shame to be charged a couple hundred bucks because you didn't wait one more day!

3. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

Definately call them. I moved to an area with no serivce so i was able to cancel with no ETF but i also had to call FIVE count em FIVE times before they finally cancelled me.

4. Linuss macrumors regular

Make sure you're set up with your new provider to port your number as well.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just double check the date that your contract is up. On that day you can't be charged an ETF. Then go to Apple or at&t and get the phone, they will cancel your account and port your number.

TEG

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The best way to port:

1. Get your iPhone activated on a new AT&T number. Keep your Verizon phone activated.

2. Try out the service for 30 days, or at least until you're certain AT&T and the iPhone will work out for you.

3. If you like it and all is good, call AT&T CS, preferably from a landline (1-800-331-0500) or from another wireless phone. Get a rep, and tell them you would like to port your Verizon number over to your EXISTING AT&T line.

The "new" AT&T number will go away, the Verizon account will cancel and shut off, and your Verizon number will get ported to your iPhone.

4. If you don't like the iPhone or AT&T service, just return the phone. Your Verizon service will obviously continue as if nothing happened. No stress in trying to get your number ported back.

7. Bmizz macrumors member

I agree with trying them first. I LOVE the Iphone but HATE AT&T here in CA. I had Verizon for 10 years and rarely if ever had dropped calls, slow customer service, ignorant reps in store, etc.. ALL of which I have experienced in the short two months I have had AT&T.

8. MCRunning macrumors 6502

9. Uh Clem macrumors newbie

That's what I did and it worked well. The only downside is you'll have an overlap where you're paying AT&T and Verizon. I found that AT&T coverage in my area isn't quite as good as Verizon's, but felt that AT&T was good enough so I called AT&T to port my number. That automatically canceled the Verizon account.

If you want to keep your Verizon number, don't cancel service with Verizon before you port the number to AT&T. You'll lose the number if you do.

10. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

I switched from that verzon bastard to AT&T, when I called them they told me to switch on the last day of my contract so that we could port our numbers. I was told our numbers go back into a que. I switched on the last day of my contract and I did not have to pay a fee.