Those that upgraded/considered upgrading to an iPhone 6 from 5s...why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajumbaje, Sep 26, 2014.

1. ajumbaje macrumors 6502

ajumbaje

Assuming you weren't tied to a contract, what was your reasoning behind getting a 6? Or did you stick with 5s?

The 5s shouldn't face "end of life" for another couple years. Camera is still good, no lag, etc.

I'm thinking about a 6 btw. 5s 64gb to 6 128gb. Just wondering how many other users were in the same predicament.

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

3. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

4. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Bigger screen and better battery, faster/more responsive camera is a nice upgrade as well.

5. mjb59463, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

mjb59463 macrumors 6502

For me, it was the storage. 128GB is what I've been looking forward to for quite a while.

6. lienhart macrumors 6502

lienhart

Bigger screen, more storage, better camera, and better battery were pretty much why. Everything is so improved.

7. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

5S here, and thinking of upgrading to the 6. I have been out a few times to play with them. I like my 5S. The size of the 6 is, to me, about perfect. I played around with iBooks on the 6, and they were surprisingly nice.

The 6 Plus is a little big for my preference. Might feel different if I did not already have 3 iPads sitting around. (If I was starting from zero, I might buy the 6 Plus instead of a 5S and mini and save a lot on ATT bills)

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I actually wasn't planning on upgrading but the better battery life on the 6 Plus was just too tempting.

9. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

The screen size is why I upgraded. Also it does have better battery life as well.

10. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

Because it's better and I can lol

Didn't have an upgrade but I can sell my 5S for like $400 and that makes my 6 not much more than an upgrade would be if I had one.

11. itjw macrumors 65816

I like to have "the best" when I can afford to do so.

The 5S is great. It's no longer "the best" so I upgrade.

It's that simple

12. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I'll tell you the reason I'm staying with my 5s until it breaks (even though I have a ghost line that is upgrade eligible):
    1) I <3 the one-handed form factor
    2) A simple 0.7' screen increase and focus pixels aren't enough of a difference to call it an upgrade
    3) Don't care about ApplePay
    4) I don't like always having that feeling that I have to upgrade
    5) I get attached to my electronics and don't like replacing them
    6) I felt it's pretty wasteful to buy a smartphone every year even if you have one already you are 100% happy with.
    7) I cannot stand this shift towards bigger handsets
    8) Still has 1gb of RAM and will be phased out sooner than if it had more.
    9) Apps aren't ready and the scaling is horrible
    10) The 6s will be better ;)

13. mhdena macrumors 6502

Doesn't sound like a predicament at all,

sounds like buyers remorse.

14. ajumbaje thread starter macrumors 6502

ajumbaje

Not really since I haven't got the 6 yet haha.

15. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I had an upgrade, so I came from 5S 64GB. It feels like one of the biggest jumps yet to the iPhone 6. The form factor simply feels so fresh. Plus, at first, the screen was simply "wow." Now it seems like the norm to me. I use my 5S in the evening as an iPod, and it seems a little bit like a toy now. I think very highly of the 5S and 5, even the 4S is cool.

However, the form factor and screen, it simply feels new.

The battery and camera I don't believe are much better, but again, screen and new form factor is what I like.

I wonder how I would have got on with the Plus, but maybe I could get it next year.

16. Zxxv Suspended

Bigger screen. Just wanted it :) really that's the main reason. Just wanted it after seeing it online and then even more after handling in apple store. Now having it glad I did as all the niggles of the 5s sre gone. Mainly sharp edges when putting hand in pocket along with phone. Also feel and fit of 6 is better in Levi's front pocket. Actually feel it less than my 5s

If you have to ask why you want it you probably don't need it enough. I just wanted it.

17. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

I upgraded from the 5s to the 6. it was definitely worth it

1. The 6 is still easily one-handed.
    2. .7" is a huge difference when it comes to cell phones. not like we're talking about tvs here.
    3. agreed.
    6. ehh i sold my 5s for $450. barely cost me anything to upgrade to the 6.
    7. I can't either. But 4.7-5" is going to be the standard and is the perfect middle ground IMO. Either get use to the bigger screens or use an aging phone for a long time. I doubt smaller devices are coming back anytime soon.
    8. who cares about 1gb ram. Honestly I've used plenty of android devices and can't tell the difference between a 1gb ram iPhone 6 and a htc one m8.

18. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Larger screen, thinner form, improved camera and the main one for me was the fact that the 5s after extensive usage hurt my hand due to the square edge design, but the phone itself was fine and doing a great job, just always treat myself to the newest Apple phone each year.

19. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

Upgraded my 5S to the 6 due to the screen size, color and storage. I found myself not downloading apps because I was worried about running out of space, and also got tired of the white face. I have the silver 16GB 5S and I ordered the space grey 64GB 6 last weekend.

20. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

21. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I can see the storage case for an upgrade. For those who are finding the 16gb a bit tight, there has never been a better time to go to the next size up. Then of course the 128gb is available for the first time.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Bigger screen, with zoomed mode. It's sooooo much more comfortable to read.

Thinner body, with rounded edges instead of the square shape of iPhones 4~5S. Feels much better in my hands. Never used my iPhone one-handed, and for two-handed use, the size difference feels very minimal.

Those are the two main reasons I decided to upgrade. Everything else, like faster processor and better camera, are a bonus.

23. Akack macrumors 6502a

5S-->6 reasons in this order:

1) bigger screen
    2) better battery life
    3) better camera
    4) like having tech gadgets
    5) back to black iPhone after a year hiatus with the gold 5S