Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How has the iOS4 upgrade turned out?

• I have a 3rd gen, and it works great, no problems.

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • I have a 3rd gen, and it's caused me problems and/or I've taken a performance hit.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I have a 2nd gen, and it works great, no problems.

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • I have a 2nd gen, and it's caused me problems and/or I've taken a performance hit.

Votes: 19 31.7%

• Total voters

Ds92

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2010
My 2nd gen has become like an old man trying to cross the street and I'm an impatient driver helping him across angrily!

If anybody gets my drift...

Zay1993

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Whitehorse, Yukon.
My 2nd gen touch performs just the same as it did when I was on iOS 3.1.3. iOS 4 is actually a really nice upgrade, I'm enjoying the folders and playlist creation on the iPod itself. Wifi doesn't kill my battery as others have reported either.

SoraLimit

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
no poll options for first gen users, of which group i proudly belong in? this is an outrage.

I think you should read the Thread title again. "Your group" can't vote on the poll, because the first-gen doesn't even have the iOS 4 update...

zjzjn1

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
I have a 2nd gen, and it works great, no problems. Multitasking enabled, and it works great. Custom wallpaper enabled, and it works great. Love it. And the battery is a little bit worse.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
I have a 2nd gen, and it works great, no problems. Multitasking enabled, and it works great. Custom wallpaper enabled, and it works great. Love it. And the battery is a little bit worse.

So you've experienced no sluggishness, jerky motion, delays in programs opening and reacting, etc?

iMichaela

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Arizona

Don't you mean 3rd gen??

I have a second gen, and the speed is horrible! I hate it. I'm thinking of downgrading or jailbreaking.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Don't you mean 3rd gen??

I have a second gen, and the speed is horrible! I hate it. I'm thinking of downgrading or jailbreaking.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm getting my wife an 8GB 2nd gen (Current) to use primarily as a PDA, and also a way to check her email, and store pictures of our daughter. I'd think there wouldn't be any reason for me to upgrade hers to iOS 4 anyway. She doesn't need and wouldn't really use any of the other features anyway. No sense taking the risk of a performance hit.

I have a 3rd gen though, and I'm not sure it's worth doing. Multitasking would be nice. For example, listening to Pandora while I'm checking email or playing a game. There have been less reports of 3rd gen problems, but I'm still not totally convinced it's without risk.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I've got a 2nd Gen upgraded to iOS4, and I didn't really see any slowness or anything negative happen. I really like it.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
...I have a 3rd gen though, and I'm not sure it's worth doing. Multitasking would be nice. For example, listening to Pandora while I'm checking email or playing a game. There have been less reports of 3rd gen problems, but I'm still not totally convinced it's without risk.

...I'm trying to decide between a 64Gb 3rd gen iPod touch and waiting for the 4th gen model...I'd save $100+ on the 3rd gen brand new and my friends who've upgraded to iOS4 say their 3rd gens work well so I'm curious what you guys would do given this situation?

Either way, its going to be a huge upgrade from my 1st gen 16Gb iPod touch running 3.1...

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I have a third gen, and I have a lot more crashes and Freezes than I did before. Most recently, this latest patch has had some major issues.

ALL of my apps transferred onto my iPod when applying the patch. Took a while to remove all the ones that I don't keep installed all the time. Now, it keeps "loosing" my synced movies. I've had to put them back on twice.

zjzjn1

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
So you've experienced no sluggishness, jerky motion, delays in programs opening and reacting, etc?
Well, when I have more than 4 apps open it slows down quite a lot. And start up is way slower! That's all. It's cool!

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Based on the poll results so far, it's a pretty safe bet to upgrade the 3g, but kind of a 50/50 split on whether or not the 2g will experience results as a problem. Not sure if this is near to an accurate sample of reality, but it logically seems that it should be close.

I'm getting both a 2g and a 3g this week. Trying to decide to upgrade only the 3g, both, or none.

jennyap

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
Well, when I have more than 4 apps open it slows down quite a lot. And start up is way slower! That's all. It's cool!

You must have a 3G then as multitasking isn't available on 2G?

I upgraded my 2G with no problems at all, but I did it via a full restore (after it bricked) rather than an upgrade per se, so that may be a factor. I wouldn't have bothered otherwise - the only benefit to me are the folders (which I admittedly love).

rstewart1989

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010

I have a 2G running iOS 4, i am able to multitask and use folders, and all that good stuff, although mine is jailbroken also

Also to others, mine runs absolutely fine, haven't experienced any problems since upgrading, battery life actually seems to have gotten better.

vmelkon

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
Hi,
I've joined these forums just to say that I've had problems with OS4 and to perhaps look for help.
I have a Ipod touch 8GB and had 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 before.
I did not upgrade to 4.0.0 directly. I went for 4.0.1 and a few days later 4.0.2.
I noticed that the BATTERY drained quickly even when the screen is off. The BATTERY would go empty in 16 hours.

I also have a iPhone 3G (I think 3G S) and I'm not sure about this one. Seems ok.

After a lot of pain, I went from 4.0.2 to 4.0.0. I was not able to install 3.1.3 but I'll check out the other threads first.

In case Apple is listening, how to we downgrade the OS *EASILY*

jennyap

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyap

I have a 2G running iOS 4, i am able to multitask and use folders, and all that good stuff, although mine is jailbroken also.

Should I be able to multitask on my unjailbroken one then? I understood not, but that would be cool.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
I'm still torn as to upgrade my touch 3g to iOS 4 or not.

I absolutely do not want to take a performance hit or get my calendars wiped out. Two things which I've read about.

And I don't want to have to jump through hoops to get it back to 3.1.3 either.

Everything works really well as it is, though battery life is already not so great on the touch. I'd hate to see it worse off.

But folders would be extremely helpful. Multitasking would be nice. More than one Exchange account would be super.

The poll numbers suggest that an upgrade to a 3rd gen is without much risk, but there are those incidents here and there I've read about that still make me hesitant to do it.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I'm still torn as to upgrade my touch 3g to iOS 4 or not.

I'd at least wait until 4.1 is released and see how that goes. Jobs has implied that it will address the performance problems of 4.0x, and hopefully many of the other issues as well. 4.01 and 4.02 were fire drills to address issues that demanded immediate attention, but 4.1 is going to be the first wide scale bug fix.

I expect it to hit during, or not long after the traditional September iPod event, in addition to iTunes 9.3 or whatever the new version is called, so it won't be long.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
I'd at least wait until 4.1 is released and see how that goes. Jobs has implied that it will address the performance problems of 4.0x, and hopefully many of the other issues as well. 4.01 and 4.02 were fire drills to address issues that demanded immediate attention, but 4.1 is going to be the first wide scale bug fix.

I expect it to hit during, or not long after the traditional September iPod event, in addition to iTunes 9.3 or whatever the new version is called, so it won't be long.

Thanks for that input. That seems like a reasonable way to go. I'm in no rush, but the additional features would be nice to have. I'll definitely hold out for 4.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.