Those upgrading to new iPad pros when will you sell your old one?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Game 161, Aug 17, 2018.

  1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

    The Game 161

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #1
    if at all?

    I could get more for mine now but there’s no sure thing the new pros are out in September. Maybe selling the day it’s announced is the best option so you know when it’s out to buy.
     
  2. Kendo macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2011
    #2
    Considering you have an iPhone X, can't you live without the iPad for a few weeks? I'd sell now, it is imminent. All the leaks support it including the MacRumors Buyer's Guide.
     
  3. Greenmeenie macrumors 6502

    Greenmeenie

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2013
    #3
    I’m upgrading to one of the new pros from an iPad mini 2...so I won’t be selling. This thing is 5yrs old, it has a cracked screen, broken home button and is sooooo sloooow. Nobody would buy it. I wish Apple was also updating the mini tho cause I love the form factor. It’s the perfect travel size iPad. But the latest rumors suggest Apple will discontinue the iPad mini. Too bad.
     
  4. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

    spiderman0616

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2010
    #4
    For the first time ever, I'm not going to try to gamble on when the new Pros are coming out. I'm keeping my 10.5" Pro until I know for sure what the new models are all about and when they're going to be available. I understand the need to get my old one on the market ASAP to retain the resale value, but I just don't want to go without it for very long.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 17, 2018 ---
    I was recently on vacation for 10 days and knew I'd have some work emails and projects to update while I was gone. (It's our busy time of year at work.) I decided to leave my iPad Pro at home and just work from my iPhone X for any updates I needed to make. It got the job done, but it was far from optimal and I was jealous every time I saw someone with their iPad in the airport. Yes, it's nice to travel light with just the iPhone, but it's not nearly as productive as my iPad Pro, which I rely on for a lot of work and non-work productivity tasks.
     
  5. rui no onna macrumors 603

    rui no onna

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2013
    #5
    I never sell/trade-in devices until the replacement is on-hand. My older devices usually get handed down to family (immediate or extended).
     
  6. EssModelsRule macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2017
    #6
    I get that you want to squeeze the most value out of your current device by selling at the highest possible amount, but I’ve found it’s a little easier to minimize total cost of ownership by buying at a discount. I might be tempted at launch by the 11” IPP, but if I want it I’ll wait until it’s on sale at Microcenter, Best Buy etc. I figure there will be fewer used 10.5” IPP’s for sale locally at that time also so I can get top dollar for mine which I bought new for $150 below MSRP. All in theory and requires patience I’ve not always had, of course. The beauty part of being an Apple gadget addict is the resale value, so timing isn’t critically important. Good luck.
     
  7. eVolcre macrumors 68000

    eVolcre

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    #7
    This cycle may be a little different. Faceid isn’t universally popular and neither is the lack of beZels.

    This can go either way though.

    1. Resale on the classic design may hold up because of demand.

    2. This is a brand new chassis. Apple will be offloading the older design on the refurb store and retailers will be giving hefty discounts. Resale could drop.

    At the end of the day your hit won’t be higher than 100 to 150 usd. May as well keep it. Wait a few months after release to let the manufacturing kinks sort themselves out and buy when ready.
     
  8. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

    The Game 161

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    I can get £350 right now on comparison site here
     
  9. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

    The Game 161

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #9
    Yeah I could just got to hope it is out in September
     
  10. eVolcre macrumors 68000

    eVolcre

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    #10
    Right. My point was that flat you wait how much will the delta be (price drop ). If it’s 350 pounds now I doubt itlll drop more than 20% if you wait. So let’s say 70 pounds less. Is that a make it or break It for you? Only you can answer that question.
     
  11. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

    The Game 161

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #11
    Even £300 will be fine for me personally.
     
  12. eVolcre macrumors 68000

    eVolcre

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    #12
    I’d just wait it out then. Wait for a confirmed release date. See the exact features. Let the new product kinks get ironed out. Heck, maybe in that time you’ll have a friend or family member coming to the states. Pick it up from neee and you’ll more than break even on the difference.
     
  13. Jarrodbcall macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2013
    #13
    This is what I am trying to do, and I find it helps me justify my purchases. A few months wait shaves off a good chunk of the normal tech product depreciation.
     
  14. Relentless Power macrumors Core

    Relentless Power

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2016
    #14
    I never get concerned about selling an iOS device early, unless specifically I know I want the newest device and it’s been announced, then I will consider selling it. But I won’t do it just based off rumors, because Apple is _so_ unpredictable and they have proven many reliable rumors wrong many times, And I Would rather have my device in my hand versus selling it early based on something that we don’t know to be true.
     
  15. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

    The Game 161

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #15
    Yeah I mean if they release it end of September will just sell on keynote day and Witt these sites you get 14 days to send it in to them and keep the original price. So may do that and wait til last day
     
  16. eVolcre macrumors 68000

    eVolcre

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    #16
    Problem is you may not know until the end of the keynote. September October November it’s all a wild guess at this point

    September looks jam packed with 3 phones, new AirPods, Watch, AirPower etc. then you have the rumored low cost notebook (one more thing ?) in time for college.

    They may end up going with an iPad only event later. Has that been done before ?
     
  17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

    Newtons Apple

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2014
    Location:
    Jacksonville, Florida
    #17
    Family member has mine already claimed. Does not know it but I am getting the a 10.5 for their birthday next week. I will keep my 10.5 in the truck and the new one will be next to the lazy boy.
     
  18. partsofspeech macrumors member

    partsofspeech

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2018
    #18
    I lent mine to a friend. There is really not a big demand for a brand new iPad, not to mentioned a used one.
     
  19. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

    The Game 161

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #19
    Wouldn’t shock me if it’s out in November. Been known before.
     
  20. eVolcre macrumors 68000

    eVolcre

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    #20
    Hope it's before OCt 15th. :( Have a ten day business trip back home and I could get one. If not I'l lhave to wait until March. Not the end of the world but it'd be nice to have. In April I set off on a 6 month trip and if I want to replace a laptop with an IPP I'd like a few months of having both and coming up with a good workflow.
     
  21. tagumcity macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 11, 2015
    Location:
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    #21
    Sold my 10.5 a month ago and will manage with my iPad mini 4 and 8+ until the 2018 IPP 12.9 is released.
     
  22. bopajuice macrumors 68000

    bopajuice

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2016
    Location:
    Dark side of the moon
    #22
    If you are trying to maximize profit I'd sell now. Because once the new ones come out, there will be a flood of people selling their old ipads to buy the new one, which will drive prices down.
     
  23. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

    spiderman0616

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2010
    #23
    This post actually got me thinking yesterday--there is a lot of smoke surrounding the iPad Pro refresh rumors, most notably that they have icons in iOS 12 and model numbers from the FCC. I don't believe any of the CAD renderings or spec rumors until I have the thing in front of me (or on my TV screen during the keynote at least) but I do believe they're coming soon, and I don't think Apple would be registering model numbers unless release were imminent.

    I decided last night to take a gamble and throw my 10.5" Pro up on Swappa. It sold immediately and I took it to FedEx today. It's only going to decrease in value after launch, and I do have my work Macbook Air to fall back on for now. I think the month(s) I'm going to go without my iPad will be worth it in the long run, as I think this will probably be the last big redesign they do for a while, and I will not feel compelled to upgrade for a few years.

    My big unknown though is the keyboard. If they don't do a redesigned ASK, my heart will be broken, because I just gave up a Zagg keyboard case that I LOVED.
     
  24. Relentless Power macrumors Core

    Relentless Power

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2016
    #24
    Even searching now, there are loads of immaculate 10.5 iPads for sale. The consumer has to be savvy when the time is right to sell, if and when Apple announces a new iPad in September/October, its almost to late for those who want to ‘Maximize’ the profit factor. I’m personally not concerned about getting the most funds out of my products, as I would rather continue to keep enjoying it until I definitely know the new product is coming.
     
  25. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

    Bazooka-joe

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2012
    Location:
    Swindon, England
    #25
    I think it will be october for iPads. I can’t see Apple announcing three phones, AirPower, a wireless AirPod case, new Apple Watch, new iPads and new MacBooks at the same event and all in the space of two hours. I think there will be an October event for iPads and MacBooks. September’s event will focus on phones, the next gen watch and a wireless AirPod case because those devices can be charged by AirPower which they will announce at well
     

Share This Page