Those who bootcamp, how do you access your Mac HD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BlueMoonForever, Dec 6, 2013.

1. BlueMoonForever macrumors 6502

I know there is an issue with the fusion drives not being accessible in Windows. I was just wondering if there is any third party software for those of us who rely heavily on Windows to be able to access our Macintosh HD files.

With a regular SSD, in Windows we are able to view our Macintosh HD, with a fusion drive we are not. Just hoping someone out there as a solution.

Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 here, alongside with OS X Mavericks on a late 2013 iMac.

2. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Also looking for a solution to this.

Is there a way to access the Windows partition while booted into OS X, too?

3. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Yes. OS X can access the Windows partition. OS X can, and has been able to for several versions, read-only NTFS disks and can read/write FAT disks.

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

The Fusion drive can use "BootCamp Assistant" to create a single partition on the hard disk external to the Fusion management. This static partition is normally used for a Windows installation, which I assume you are already using.

However, if you create a DIY Fusion, you can partition however you wish, and you could create an additional "DATA" partition on the hard disk formatted in FAT32 which would be accessible from either operating system. This would not be an ideal solution for someone unfamiliar with Fusion drives and how to destroy/create them. You also have to be cautious about which partition to put Windows on due to some Windows OS issues. There are many threads and articles explaining this in detail which you can search or Google.

You could also add an external disk drive (or SSD) to be your data disk in the same manner, and accessible from both operating systems when formatted FAT32. This would require no changes to your existing Fusion drive. Easily done by anyone! :)