Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I've had the 8+ and 11 Pro, but haven't personally felt the Pro Max before. I love large phones, but also like it to be pocketable and usable in car phone holders. Those that bought the 12 Pro Max, will you keep that same size this year or get a smaller Pro?

Reactions: methaw

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I have a 12PM. I want a smaller form factor and am actually considering the 13 mini. Not sure I want to deal with the set up and potential problems (raised blacks, yellow tint, etc.) when this phone performs fine (save some slight overheating)

but if I do move forward with a replacement it’ll be a mini. Slight chance it’ll be a standard 13

Reactions: geoff5093

innoutlover01

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2010
I have a 12PM. Planning on getting the 13. I don’t really use the camera features and going back to the smaller phone with the best battery. Heard that the 12 pro would have lesser battery to utilize the Pro Motion.

BuggyGT

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
13 Pro Max, for my usage the bigger the screen the better. Sure it might be slightly uncomfortable in the pants pocket but worth the trade off IMO and been using the larger sizes since the 6 Plus.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have the 11 Pro Max. Fits in jeans and shorts pockets, fits in cup holders. No idea why there's an issue on your end with that.

Anyway, no - not getting the 13PM. Not getting any phone actually. We just got our 11PMs in February. Got about a year and a half on EIP before they are paid off.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I have the 11 Pro Max. Fits in jeans and shorts pockets, fits in cup holders. No idea why there's an issue on your end with that.

Anyway, no - not getting the 13PM. Not getting any phone actually. We just got our 11PMs in February. Got about a year and a half on EIP before they are paid off.
I just looked at the dimensions, and it's basically the same just slightly taller than the 8+ I have now, and the same height as the OnePlus 8T I also have. So as you said, there's not going to be any issue :)

Reactions: eyoungren

keti2377

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2020
I’m not really sure. I love the bigger screen but at times I wish I had a smaller pocketable phone. And plus, I love buying different types of cases and some cases just make the 12PM heavy. I did pre register for the 13PM so I’ll need to stick with just the slim cases.

I hope I don’t regret not going to the 13 Pro this time around (which is what I told myself I was going to do but I know I’ll miss the larger screen lol).

Reactions: UltimateSyn

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
Pro Max, without a doubt.

I've never had issues pocketing my Plus/Max/etc phones, and, for me, the extra screen real estate is too beneficial to not get.

Reactions: UltimateSyn

methaw

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2015
Earth
Im still deciding on going 13 pro or 13 pro max. I’ll be upgrading from a X, so it will be a upgrade no matter which one I choose. I like idea of having a larger screen but worried about the weight, especially if I have a case. Is the weight an issue for users with the 12 pro max?

Reactions: John_JD_Doe

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I started always getting the Max/Plus sizes when the iPhone 7 came out. I went in this order:

iPhone 4
iPhone 5
iPhone 6
iPhone 6s
iPhone 7 Plus
iPhone X
iPhone XS Max
iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max
soon--iPhone 13 Pro Max

1) Apple and all the carriers have made it far too easy for me to just keep rolling over my hardware every year. It used to be that you'd get stuck with a 2 year contract on whatever phone you picked, and it took an act of god to get an early upgrade or you had to pay hundreds of dollars. Now it's basically just a swap in the mail and a small service fee.

2) The iPhone is my most versatile and most important device. I don't upgrade most of my other stuff every single year, but I still get a thrill out of that fresh new iPhone every fall. The iPhone gets all the newest tech and features, all the newest software, and all the newest sensors. It's the best indicator of where Apple is going, and I like being on the bleeding edge and experiencing that stuff firsthand.

Reactions: lazyrighteye

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Coming from a 12 Pro Max... I did consider the 13 Pro given the (much welcomed) camera feature parity, but strolled into an Apple Store yesterday to look at how much smaller the Pro is. Just a little too much of a downsize for me, although I would appreciate the smaller form factor in the hand. At the end of the day I think the pros of the Max (more screen real estate and longer battery life) still outweigh the size / weight cons, for me. If I could custom design an iPhone I'd probably make the screen size 6.5", like the 11 Pro Max.

Reactions: W0lfd and seezar

geo411mar

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2021
I had the 11PM and the 12PM but this time around I want the 13P. I've used my friend's 12P and love the size for 1 handed use.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
Bigger Screen = Good
Bigger Screen with no Big Screen Features = Bad

I’m in the Pro vs Pro Max dilemma too. I want the Max because I get the obvious benefits of a bigger screen but we’re 6 generations into “Big Phone” and Apple still offers nothing that takes advantage of that extra screen space. No special features, no UI enhancements, no split screen, no pencil etc.

BTW. I’m not slamming the Max (I may still get one), I’m just pointing out how amazing a Max screen would be if Apple actually put effort into utilizing this screen space.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: methaw and iObama

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
When the 11 series came out, I tried switching from the XS Max to the 11 Pro, but I found it too small. With the increase to a 6.1" screen and the yearly increases in heaviness, I'm pre-approved for a 13 Pro. Really hoping I'm not disappointed!

scubatopy

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2018
Even more convinced to buy another Max, as it's becoming a battery phone this time. Personally no issues about its weight.

tejagamer

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
I have been fluctuating between the Plus and Regular Sizes all the time, but when i went from XS to 12 PM I was happy with the size to begin with and my main reason to switch was Size and Camera. But after using for close to an year, I feel I will go for a regular Pro next time if the specs stay the same. This year 13 Pro doesn't feel that much of an improvement/change from my 12 PM So i am skipping it.

RickNY

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2012
I had an X, and then when the Xs was released, I went with the Xs Max.. For the 11, I continued with the 11 Pro Max.. Once the Pro was bumped up to 6.1" for the non-max version with the 12, I went back down to the non-max version of the 12 Pro, and plan on staying with that for the 13 Pro.

The extra real estate was nice on the Max -- but if youre holding the phone in your hands for a while, the weight gets annoying.. Plus its a lot easier to do things one-handed with the non-Max version.

Reactions: SupremeMayo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.