Those who Installed the Spigen GlasTr. What is best method to install?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ahfu25, Apr 18, 2013.

1. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

I bit the bullet and purchased the GlastR and Im scared to install it lol. Whats my best chance of not getting any dust and to get it aligned properly?

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Hinge method, I think it's still at youtube if you search it. Worked perfectly on mine.

3. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Get the bathroom as steamy as possible and install it in there.

4. hardax macrumors regular

I agree. Steamy bathroom armed with a lint roller and just place it down on the screen. I am notoriously bad at applying screen protectors but this one went on perfectly. If you lay it down gently enough, you actually have some play to adjust it a little as well.

5. darster Suspended

I had a perfect install. Use a cheapo plastic screen shield. Can get those on amazon for a few bucks. Many times they come free with cases. Wipe phone as clean as you can. Install plastic shield on phone phone. Then remove. This will remove any dust left on phone. Then install Glas.tR.

6. jayrflow macrumors 6502

Sounds like a good idea. I may try this next time. Got tons of cheap screen protectors around

7. SaintsMac macrumors 6502a

I like the sound of this plan! I have several of these around-now I have a legitimate use for them.

Thanks

8. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

You are also exposing your phone to steam while doing this. Don't think it's worth the risk.

To OP:

Align everything around the home button first, then align the hole at the top for the speaker. The sides will fall into place.

If you start with the sides, you run the risk of having a misaligned home button (which would be the worst thing since you need to either reach in there to press the button, or put a sticker on the home button (which won't fit).

The hinge method does not work well here.

9. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

It's not like it's sitting in a steamy room for 30 minutes. Get the room steamy, go in, get it done, and get out. You shouldn't be in there long enough that large drops of water condensates and seeps into the speaker or something. When I did it, I just set it on top of the toilet, so it was only 2 feet from the ground and there was no condensation at all.

But I do agree that the hinge method does not work. Just too risky because it's not flexible.

10. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

I personally don't use the hinge method.

I just stick a bit of tape over the top and bottom halves of the glass shield and then hold the shield by the tapes. Then I hover over the phone whilst aligning the home button and the top and then gradually lower it down until I land on the screen.

Seems to work pretty good for me.

11. ahfu25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanx for the advice....I still havent installed it but so far I like the lint roller for removing dust. Reminds me of the Power Support sticker they provide. And I like using tape on top and bottom to align it. Now I just have to DO IT! Lol

12. darster Suspended

I think it comes with some soft gel home buttons, if I recall, or perhaps with a case. Put one of those on the home button if you have one, as it will make it easier to align. Then remove button after install.

13. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

Blue Painters Tape

I found that blue painters tape, applied prior to installing the screen protector, removes all dust; and leaves absolutely no residue.

14. ahfu25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did the steamy bathroom trick and used tape to align it. Its 99% perfect..lol....Thank goodness noooooo dust whats so ever but its misaligned ever so slightly around the home button...Cant see it though because of the aluminum home button...aww screw it ..its 100% perfect!!..lol....Thanx ladies and gents...Def worth the price and patience!!

15. SaintsMac macrumors 6502a

That is great! What case are you using with it?

16. maxosx macrumors 68020

I wonder how this product holds up after a couple of years ?

17. ahfu25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a few cases and they all fit perfectly. Switcheasy, Fake sector 5 bumper, and the power support air jacket in white.

18. darster Suspended

I will have the iphone 6 by then, and another Glas.tR. :D

19. maxosx macrumors 68020

If Apple produces an iPhone 6 with a 5" +/- display size I too will be an owner.

After upgrading to each and every model of iPhone since day one, it's a disappointing thought to have to throw in the towel (iPhone's only) if Apple continues to desperately cling to tiny displays.

Conversely if they do offer a proper, modern day display I will be very happy to ad the iPhone 6 (or whatever they call it) to my vast array of Apple products.

20. SaintsMac macrumors 6502a

Thanks for sharing.

21. Partridge macrumors 6502

Ok. I am going to go against the grain on the install on this one.

I just installed my replacement Glas.Tr, and this is what happened.

I tried wiping and then using the microfiber wipe, but on the first drop of the screen protector I had a little dust under the screen despite my best efforts.

I stopped the screen from adhering completely and removed it, then washed it with warm water and soap, gave the screen another wipe and tried again.

I'm kinda OCD, so I repeated this step probably about five times (that's adhering the protector, peeling it up gently with my fingernail, washing it, and then reapplying). FIVE times. It's perfect now.

Of note, this is what I do. I give the screen protector a wipe and light scrub with my fingertips and a small amount of soap, then rinse it under the tap so that water is running down both sides. As I'm doing this with one hand, I give the screen a final check and if needed a wipe with the cloth to remove any last vestiges of dust, then immediately remove the protector from the water and position it on the screen.

The protector is hydrophobic and very little water is left on it. Literally just a few drops. This effectively turns it into a wet application method. As the protector is adhering to the screen I have time to verify the positioning and pull it up quickly if needed before it adheres completely. Once the adhesive starts displacing the water, I give it a push to help it along, use a tissue to pick up any water escaping around the edges and the holes, then use the squeegee to push the rest of the water out from under the protector and out the sides.

As I said, I literally had the protector up an down and rinsed probably about 5 or more times. The biggest issue you may run into is damaging the adhesive. Do not try to put anything under the protector to wedge it up and break the seal, you can damage the adhesive layer or scrunch it and once it is no longer completely flat it will not adhere properly in that area (what happened to my first one).

My point is that the install with this is not as finicky and one time as some might think. You can remove it, wash it, and reapply it without damaging it if you are careful.

22. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

Does anybody else find it as difficult as I do to get it perfectly centered over the home button? I am as OCD as the rest of you guys and I am hovering over the top of my phone with screen shield in hand trying to get it as perfect as possible but meanwhile blocking some of the light and therefore have to look at a slight angle which looks perfectly centered on the home button but after I install it and can look at different angles, it is ever so slightly off center. I have tried dropping it down by hand and last night tried putting tape on it so I could manipulate it....error both times. I have yet to try the hinge method.

I can get the thin screen shields to install perfectly using the taco method but that's not possible with glass shields. Thoughts?

23. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

By using one of the supplied gel home buttons you can feel where it is without looking directly at it and focus more on the top camera positioning and just lower very slowly, it's how I did it for my wife's and my own iPhones.

24. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

But I don't like the gel buttons and they're almost impossible to remove with shield installed. I do have an aluminum button.