Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Very interested, so interested to the point that I could solely rely on iOS for good if a 5.5" iPhone is done properly.

Of course this would entail Apple opening up and expanding on iOS 8. A big screen will draw in a plethora of consumers who have disregarded iOS in the past but that feature set is what will keep them coming back.

With android, the big screen got you in the door, now you've seen the capabilities of the OS. It's up to Apple to match or better this. As a tech enthusiast, I'll most likely get one but I'm not clueless to the fact that there are other options out there that have a leg up on Apple. Big screen ... check .... Now what next?

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Will be in the market in October/November.

3 phones I will be deciding between on the ATT Network:

5.5-Larger iPhone-really do miss some of the apple world after switching
Note 4-currently have the Note 3, love it
Newest Windows Phone out by then-the 8.1 update has me considering a Windows Phone for the first time ever when they were never in the discussion

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I previously used a Note II and found it too big for my tastes as a full time daily driver since I use my phone for music, internet radio, talk radio, podcasts, etc, and carry it with me just about everywhere, including when active. The small form factor of the current iPhone is just perfect when running, cycling, hiking.

That being said, it would be nice to not carry my tablet with me as much and a 5.5" iPhone would be a nice bridge device--just pop the sim into my current 5S for those times when having a smaller device is ideal. Rumors of the larger iPhone having OIS for the camera and a full 1080p display certainly make it more appealing to me than the 4.7" device.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions...;)

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
No, S5 size is limit for me for a phone, neighbor has a note and it's just too big for me for a phone. But I would never go back to iOS anyway over my S5/future Androids.

Thought it will be funny seeing 90% of the people on here that always b!tched about Android phone sizes, and that even the current iPhone is too big to be comfortable, see what they say when the next iPhone is 4.7" LOL

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Thought it will be funny seeing 90% of the people on here that always b!tched about Android phone sizes, and that even the current iPhone is too big to be comfortable, see what they say when the next iPhone is 4.7" LOL

Haha, that's what I was thinking the moment the first rumors popped up..

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Not even on the iPad, I'm afraid. Steve jobs himself stated stylii had been the past. (Of course they were resistive and not Wacom ones. Nevertheless, I don't think they'll add something that could confuse the vast majority of their customers / make using iOS more "complicated".)

If including a stylus confuses customers, that's pretty sad. :rolleyes:

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Bezel on this 5,5 inch mock up seems too large once again...
Except original iphone which was genius, Apple did not impress me much since 2007, just some improvements, nothing breakthrough and still this old look with stupid home button and loudspeaker on the front

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I would be interested but would miss the "back" button. Swype and SwipePad would probably be the two apps that would keep me with Android and the fact that I can't hide/disable unused apps would be a big consideration.

ravipiero

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Bezel on this 5,5 inch mock up seems too large once again...

Except original iphone which was genius, Apple did not impress me much since 2007, just some improvements, nothing breakthrough and still this old look with stupid home button and loudspeaker on the front

IMO, they did a pretty good job with iPhone 4 in 2010.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I would be interested but would miss the "back" button. Swype and SwipePad would probably be the two apps that would keep me with Android and the fact that I can't hide/disable unused apps would be a big consideration.

Aye, the back button indeed. Using it has become so instinctive that I forget that it exists. But whenever I use my 4S I keep getting phantom pains...

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
As I wrote in another thread, one area where they really could make a killing is in one handed use of a large phone. This is something which Samsung and others really haven't made any major effort with. Apple might come up with something that really works, which would open the phablet category to a new group of potential buyers.

The only way a company can make that working is not making the screen bigger. I'm sorry, even Apple can't fight with physics.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
The only way a company can make that working is not making the screen bigger. I'm sorry, even Apple can't fight with physics.

That's a quite pessimistic outlook on UI development. Holding even a 5.5" phone comfortably isn't a problem, it's just that the thumb doesn't reach the navigational elements without the hand stretching or shifting around. If you can make those elements come to the thumb instead - problem solved.

I'm confident that this can be done in an elegant way. All you need is some kind of sensor telling the phone how it's being held, and an always accessible touch command for the user to initiate/quit one handed mode (placed in Command Center for example). You could have the keyboard or dialer shrink and slide towards either corner, back and forward arrows appear lower on the screen, etc. Or have the entire screen miniaturize for a moment so that you can tap any app icon on the home screen with your thumb while maintaining a comfortable grip with one hand.

Samsung already have the miniature UI option now, it works fine although the implementation is a bit clunky and not very elegant. But in principle it can be done. And if anyone can do it elegantly, it's Apple. Creativity and design skill is all that stands in the way of comfortable one handed use of large screen devices.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Nope....can't take iOS limitation

not me. my wife may move to a slightly larger iOS device, but personally, I'm not a fan of the limitations it puts on me. worked great for years, but it was time to upgrade my use and experience with my phone.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
No, I'm done with iPhone for a while.
Android is working well for me with more options than iPhone. Should I want a change, Windows Phone would be my next port of call.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I can't see Apple just creating a straight up 5.5" phone.

There will be some spin to it.

I'll wait and see before having an opinion.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Yup! I'll stand by any name that sounds totally innocent in one language, but means something funny in another. It's multicultural! :D

You should suggest that name at the next Samsung Secret Agent meeting. :D:D

Disclaimer: This is intended as a humorous post. Renzatic May or may not work for Samsung. If I tell the truth, I may get fired! :D

Disclaimer: The above disclaimer was also intended to be humorous. This disclaimer is serious.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I'd still miss too many things. The ability to download any file in the Web Browser, the ability to get access to the file system. (Dragging and dropping mp3's into the ringtone or notification folder are things I do very regularly).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.