Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

londoner888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Tottenham, London
OP, if you think a random smattering of replies from around the US is going to remotely reflect your personal wait time, you're crazy. You think you'll get an iPad in London by queuing up at noon? Try noon the day before. Maybe even earlier. Here in NYC the lines STILL start the night before the store opens…8 days after launch.

A. There are retailers who had iPads in some very small cities and towns (compared to NYC or London)…people in those places could easily have lined up a couple of hours or even an hour before 5pm, gotten a good place in line, and obtained an iPad. In a smaller town, you could show up at 2pm and be 18th in line as mentioned. But in NYC if you showed up at 2pm you were probably no better than 500th in line.

B. Whatever happened here will happen 10 fold or more on the international launch day. Here in the US, we had no real idea how popular the iPad would be on launch day. If everyone knew in advance, the lines would have been far longer. Lots of people thought the iPad 2 would be a sleeper and planned on waiting to see the initial reviews before buying, or assumed they could just waltz in the next day and get one. Those people now want one and will be waiting a quite a while to get it.

The world has seen what happened on launch day here, and what has happened since…a considerable shortage. Be prepared for a much bigger turnout over there.

Tbh I wasn't planning on queuing up at either of the Central London stores as I know for sure people will be queuing maybe even as early as the day before launch.

I'm planning to drive to one of the shopping centers on the outskirts of London... sure there will be queues but no way as long as London.

Whenever I've started queuing 3 hours prior to an iphone launch, I've always been about 30-70th in line, and I'm hoping this is the case again.
Though, because there are no reservations like with the iPhone I might now just start queuing at 12 or 1 now :(

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
New York here... But in one of the "outlying" areas of NYC... I'm out in Long Island. I got there about 1pm and was already about 40th on line. I know at least two people were there the night before.

EXPECT very long lines, even in the areas outside the city. This launch is a whole new ballgame when it comes to demand... And especially now that it's been crazy in the US and news of possible shortages in the near future.

wshields

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
I walked into the Fifth Avenue store at 2am, walked out with a black Verizon 64gb (they only had Verizon because the scalpers don't want them) in under 10 minutes. Only line was inside at the register.

Will take it back this week (or sell it) when my AT&T 64gb black arrives for my 6am order.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Arrived at noon to an Apple store inside a mall. Was about the 20th person in line. Time went by quickly since everyone was in a festive mood. It's definitely worth getting there as early as you can. I was out the door with my new iPad in hand at 5:09pm and was confident they would have the model I wanted.

thesiren

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
outer space
OP, if you think a random smattering of replies from around the US is going to remotely reflect your personal wait time, you're crazy. You think you'll get an iPad in London by queuing up at noon? Try noon the day before. Maybe even earlier. Here in NYC the lines STILL start the night before the store opens…8 days after launch.

A. There are retailers who had iPads in some very small cities and towns (compared to NYC or London)…people in those places could easily have lined up a couple of hours or even an hour before 5pm, gotten a good place in line, and obtained an iPad. In a smaller town, you could show up at 2pm and be 18th in line as mentioned. But in NYC if you showed up at 2pm you were probably no better than 500th in line.

B. Whatever happened here will happen 10 fold or more on the international launch day. Here in the US, we had no real idea how popular the iPad would be on launch day. If everyone knew in advance, the lines would have been far longer. Lots of people thought the iPad 2 would be a sleeper and planned on waiting to see the initial reviews before buying, or assumed they could just waltz in the next day and get one. Those people now want one and will be waiting a quite a while to get it.

The world has seen what happened on launch day here, and what has happened since…a considerable shortage. Be prepared for a much bigger turnout over there.

This.

Under no circumstances should you base what time you should go line up at on our american experiences.

The world at large is begging for more iPad 2. Don't underestimate the demand or the lengths people will go to obtain one.
Just as many people in London are as keen as you to drive to the outskirts. Just remember, any choice you make is a complete gamble. No guarantees whatsoever. You have to ask yourself: how badly do you want one? And what lengths are you willing to go to get one?

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
In NY it is much worse than other areas. In the DC area I got there a bit over an hour before the Apple store opened, I was 80 to 100 back and still had my full choice. And got out around 5:30, thirty minutes after it opened.

I think in other cities I would have had no options at all if I did that. And now the lines are much longer, so if people knew what they know now back on launch day -- which people in other countries may know from the reports -- the lines would be much longer on launch day.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Newport Beach Fashion Island store. Got there at 1:30pm, 83 people ahead of me and about 250 behind me. They had several stacks of iPads when I got in there. 2 32gb wifi, one white one black.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Newport Beach Fashion Island store. Got there at 1:30pm, 83 people ahead of me and about 250 behind me. They had several stacks of iPads when I got in there. 2 32gb wifi, one white one black.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Got there as soon as the mall opened up and I was 10th in line. Waited for 7 hours. Got the last 64GB ATT model and there were a good 400+ people waiting in line. Was totally worth sitting there all day and paying someone to take my shift!

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
7am, and I was 8th in line. At around noon there was already over 60 people in line. By 5pm there was over 300.

skaterboy

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
I was at the UWS apple store in Manhattan, got there at 4:45, line was already around the block then 3 blocks up. I would say at least 1000 people ahead of me. I got into the store 2 hours 15 minutes later at 7pm. Looked like they had about 50 plus associates, they funnelled some upstairs and others downstairs. Once I was in the store I was out in 10 minutes. If you figure 50 sales associates and doing 10 and hour it seems about right that i got in 2 hours. Right outside the store they came around with handhelds and checked off the unit you wanted. i think that was not accurate as my guy scrambled to find a black 64 att and said I had the last one. I know people behind me didnt get what they were told outside. When I left id say another 1000 people still online, Im sure manygot shut out. I should have gotten there a bit earlier but was thankful to get mine and 2 hours was not to bad.

SFOT

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
San Francisco
San Francisco Stockton St store. Arrived around 1230 I would say 150th in line. Lots of gray market folks in front of the line. Chatted with folks around me, watched a movie on iphone, took turns saving spots in line for bathroom breaks and food runs. Got in store around 6 pm, took home 32 3G in black which is what I wanted. They were out of most lower end models but were still handing out tickets for them which I don't fully understand. I just happen to have the day off and thank goodness I did because the line went all the way around the block by 5 pm. A lot of people went home empty handed. If I were you and want to get one on launch day, take the day off, pack some food, a chair, something to keep you entertained and get there before noon (or earlier). Make friends with the people around you and make a day of it. Good luck.

misdy

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
I got in line at about 8:30, and I was 20th in line. I live in a major city though (san diego) so I knew I'd have to go pretty early.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I got there at 5am, 7th in line. I'd recommend waiting anywhere from 12-18 hours. But then again I love waiting in line.

SakaryaLee

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2011
i went to the 5th avenue apple store in New York about 6pm, i was shocked when i saw the 2 blocks of line, and was actually wondering if i would be able to get one. But after waiting in line about 2-2.5 hours, i was able to get my 16GB Black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.