Those who own a 15" MacBook Pro and 13" MacBook Pro, why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Dec 4, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Reading and going by some signatures a lot of people seem to own a 15" and a 13" MBP.

I'm just wondering why? How come two notebooks, is the idea the 15" serves as a desktop with a monitor attached and the option to be portable and the 13" is your portable machine?

2. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

3. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I use to have both a 13 and a 15. The 15 was my desktop connected to a apple cinema display. But ever since apple has narrowed the gap between the two...it did not make sence to keep the two so I replaced my 15 MBP with a i7 iMac.

4. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

15" is my mobile workhorse, MBA is my go everywhere netbook...

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Well, other people probably do the same thing, just use the 13 MBP as their go everywhere. I know that probably doesn't make sense to you as you want your go everywhere to be MUCH lighter just not just a bit lighter, but it's a solution that might work for some.

I will say, most probably don't have two either, it's just probably a larger than you'd expect percentage does, and you have to remember on these forums people are really into all their Macs! :)

6. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Because two notebooks is cheap. Technology is cheap -- especially for professionals.

When you look at employee salaries, rent, insurance, healthcare expenses, and everything else, these are large, recurring monthly expenses. Compare these high costs to the price of a couple laptops and some monitors -- tech hardware is usually a very small slice of the expense pie.

So a couple of Mac laptops is a drop in the bucket compared to other hard, fixed costs.

7. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

After I bought the Santa Rosa Macbook Pro I haven't had any need for a desktop.
    (I do have a homeserver and a linux desktop, but those are old machines)
    Until the release of the i5/7 imacs there haven't been much of a speed bump having both. When i had G3 iBook it made perfectly sense having a PowerMac G4, same when i had my Powerbook G4s, but after the introduction of the Core 2 Duo laptops there was very small differences.

I'm not sure if I ever gonna get a desktop again, since MBP + external screen is such a good solution.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why start a thread asking why people have two laptops when you yourself have one.

10. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

You are indeed correct sir, it doesn't make sense in any way as the clear choice, for people with the finances, is to stick with the bad boys 15 and 17 inchers.

11. aleni macrumors 68020

17 unibody stays at office for doing some huge pixels photoshop works.

macbook air used at home and wherever i want it to be because it's light and compact.

12. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I had an Air and an Asus 15" gaming laptop and decided to consolidate everything into a 13" MPB that bootcamps into Win 7. I feel that I am getting the best of both worlds in one extremely portable and light notebook that doesn't skimp on power. I don't need the greates graphics... I have a PS3 if I need good graphics. I just needed something portable for work and productivity and something for fun without having to juggle between 2 machines.

13. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

For sure, it makes sense, with the powerful laptops that are available there's not as much need for a desktop anymore.

That's the direction I'm thinking of taking with my company from here on in.

Out of the 14 or 15 Mac's I own in my company only two of them serve better as a desktop because they're always stationery and hooked up to a number of peripherals.

For everyone else, looking back I wish I'd of bought entry level 13 maybe 15" MBP's .... my staff would appreciate the portability. ... I see people here who work from iMacs stumbling around with their $400 netbooks and 100% of those in my company who use a netbook are disappointed with them....

My work habits are the same now, much less time spent at my desk. I have a top of the line Mac Pro but I use my 15" MBP and MBA much more.

Thanks for the input.