Those who sell and rebuy every refresh...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hydrocity, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

For those who sell their previous MBP and buy the new gens, about how much do you lose?

Im thinking about selling my 2010 MBP for a 2011 MBP. I have a couple of reasons:

I think I bought an overkill machine. The specs are in my sig. I think I want to sell and get a lower spec'd machine such as an i5. I may make money out of it, but I dont know because I am selling a used machine.

Second, how would you sell a MBP like mine. I think I bought it for just over $2000. It is a lot of money, which worries me because what if no one wants to spend that much money on a computer.

I have a sata 3 ssd which I can take advantage of in the 2011, where I can not in the 2010.

I was thinking of buying a PC for gaming and either a i5 MBP or Macbook Air. Any ideas?

(I use my MBP for internet, school, documents, email, video, music, a little video editing but I think I may use the PC to do most of the editing)

2. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Why not wait for the 2012 MBP's? Might be a good 6 months or so away but you're already halfway there.

Just make sure you sell before the new ones come out (and tech specs released), or else your resale price will go down.

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Check eBay completed auction search for a sense of what your machine is going for today

4. Kristine macrumors 6502a

I buy the highest specification machine (usually in 15") EVERY refresh (so usually two times per year). I am lucky to get 'super-special' pricing, so I have NEVER lost money on any Mac I sell. I have a rule to always sell for at atleast what it cost me (I won't go lower).

I have sold on eBay before and had machines go for more than I have paid (that makes me feel a little guilty). All my machines are always immaculate, just like new when sold.

If you want the best price on eBay, make sure your machine is clean and immaculate and take really nice, detailed photos of everything that is included.

5. youngmac, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

youngmac macrumors regular

It is my first macbook pro late 2008, I didn't upgrade yet. but now thinking of upgrading because i found a buyer. I would take this opportunity on this thread to ask, is £750 good price to sell mine. If i wait until next release the value will get lower or i might not even find another buyer.

I'm thinking buying the hi res anti glare.

Hidrocity it is not overkill, it will serve you longer.

6. Ironsoccerman macrumors member

For a 3 year old MacBook pro like that, that is such a deal. You probably will find prices like that on some 2010 pros like that too. One more question, how big is it?

7. youngmac macrumors regular

Sorry what do you mean by how big is it?
    it is the one in my signature.

the plus is i don't have to pay the fees of amazon or ebay. a friend want to buy from me.

8. MarocSpecops macrumors newbie

MarocSpecops

what fool would buy that old laptop for such money....

:confused::confused::confused:

9. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

How do you manage to sell for what at least it cost you?

10. youngmac macrumors regular

I know what you mean lol. but i'm not the one that sets the macs value.
    i have looked on ebay and amazon and they all around that price.

11. randomrazr macrumors 65816

how do you sell for more than u paid for when its used? btw even your rubber feet are not worn down? lol

12. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

My MBP is just like new. I am kinda OCD about it so it stays clean.

Only the keys look like they are not new. They have that shine from your fingers. But even that is pretty clean compared to most users. My MBP even sits on a foam pad, therefore the feet are not worn down.

Thanks for all the posts. I will try to look around, maybe post it on Kijiji/craigslist to see what offers I get.

I am kinda worried about selling on ebay. There have been alot of horror stories on this forum about them.

13. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

There's enough variation in Ebay prices that I usually lose very little.

I rarely buy brand new list price though getting either educational or reseller special deal discounts.

I can't imagine paying list price, but good luck to those that do. They have more money than me! :)

This is true for MBA, MP, iMac, iPods, iPads

14. randomrazr macrumors 65816

why replace ur macbook when theres nothing wrong with it

15. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Because people can?

16. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

I lose $100-300. Obviously selling before the update with net you more. If I get 9-10 months use out of it, it's less than a dollar a day to have the newest machine under warranty.
    I figure the money I lose would be going to AppleCare if I kept the MBP, so might as well get the new one and it's covered for another year.

17. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

I've learnt the hard way that Macs really keep their value. Windows machines often have a massive depreciation. Especially the ones I used to build myself.

You can also save a lot by keeping just one generation behind. ;)

18. randomrazr macrumors 65816

thats stupid considering macbooks are 1000 dollars plus. u lose hundreds selling and buying every year

19. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I put a tremendous amount of time on my Macs. They're used for work & personal use, therefore I enjoy upgrading to the latest model at nearly every product cycle. The only time I don't upgrade is if the new model is a very minor upgrade of little consequence.

Because of my work, they pay for themselves so cost is irrelevant to me. I give them to family members each year, or donate them to various organizations within the community. It's a good feeling to give back.

20. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

that is really nice.

21. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I don't upgrade every product cycle but I have some machines kicking around.
    I refuse to sell anything I have used and replaced. Instead, when a neighbor or my/wifes friends are in a bind I will lend them whatever they need until they have the means to replace them.
    Some items including, routers, cable modems, laptops, desk tops and monitors I haven't seen since the day they changed hands.
    I would rather do that than sell them.
    It hurts when I discover my generousity is taken advantage of.
    For instance I put varous barcodes on laptops and desktops. 2 times I have had devices come back to me for repair. I ask where they got the device and both timesI both it from xxxxxxx for a really good price.
    Its fun when I run into those people at functions/gatherings.

22. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

One thing that makes me mad is when I export videos through final cut pro x, my MBP likes to beachball occasionally. And chrome crashes alot. I dont know if my MBP is at fault or if it's the programs. I dont have Apple Care so taking it in would probably be useless.

(My HD space is 420GB/500GB so that might be the problem. I am going to go through a clean up tonight to clear it up. Do you think this could be the problem for beach balls?)

23. randomrazr macrumors 65816

nope

24. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

You will lose money on this deal. I'd keep the machine if I were you.

25. tinkori macrumors member

Had a 2010MBP and upgraded since the i5 is a significant jump in performance. Lost like 300 ... I know there will be an upgrade to ivy bridge etc but ivy is a speed bump on top of sandy .... while the 2010 model used a core 2 duo which is a downgrade for intense tasks.

For day to day browsing and small tasks, I see NO difference with my 8GB RAM and 120GB SSD setup (2010 vs 2011 MBP). In fact the battery life on my 2010 MBP was a little higher. But on intense tasks like batch editing of photos, the 2011 is noticeably faster!

So if you use it for intense processing workloads, I would say upgrade now and lose 300 odd and keep enjoying the higher performance or upgrade later and lose a little more money but get an even better laptop. It all depends on what you use it for.