iPhone X Those who went from 'Plus' to 'X' - questions

.Logan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Houston, Texas
I currently have the 8 Plus, as I was hesitant to make the jump to Face ID last year with the iPhone X. I feel I'm ready now that the XS is here ("2nd gen FaceID", etc).

However I was at the apple store last night comparing my 8 Plus to the X and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I get there is "more" screen (5.8" vs 5.5" diagonal) due to fewer bezels but the width is ever so slightly more narrow.

I want the XS because the XS Max is unfortunately just too expensive IMO. Did you feel you were downgrading in terms of screen size when you want Plus size to X? Are you happy with your experience or not?

What about battery life with X the vs Plus?

Thanks!

Last edited:

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Yes. I went from 7 Plus to the X last year and missed the wider screen and bigger iPhone. However, I loved the swiping instead of a button and Face ID so kept it. Never was happy with this smaller size though so can’t wait for the iPhone Max now!!! Best of both worlds. Find a way to get it for sure.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Looks like the XR will have the exact same screen real estate of the Max, so another great option

macrumors Demi-God
Oct 2, 2016
Battery life on the 8 Plus is definitely better, the screen of the X is taller but it's less wider than the 8 Plus which can make it look not as huge as the Plus, it's not a bad phone and it's future proof so I'd go for it.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
I currently have the 8 Plus, as I was hesitant to make the jump to Face ID last year with the iPhone X. I feel I'm ready now that the XS is here (2nd gen FaceID, etc).

However I was at the apple store last night comparing my 8 Plus to the X and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I get there is "more" screen (5.8" vs 5.5" diagonal) due to fewer bezels but the width is ever so slightly more narrow.

I want the XS because the XS Max is unfortunately just too expensive IMO. Did you feel you were downgrading in terms of screen size when you want Plus size to X? Are you happy with your experience or not?

Thanks!
2nd gen? I didn't see, nor do I see anything about that.

edit: maybe this?

Phil Schiller attributed the faster Face ID performance to faster algorithms and a faster secure enclave. The various sensors powering Face ID remain the same: infrared camera, flood illuminator, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, front camera, and dot projector.
--https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/12/apple-face-id-faster-iphone-xs/

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I miss the wider screen of the plus but for me I really started to dislike the size of the plus iPhone.

So I chose to go with a smaller phone and taller screen. Sharpness and pixels aren’t a deal breaker for me on a screen so small in the grand scheme of things.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
They went on about how it was improved, faster etc. They didn’t call it 2nd gen explicitly.
See my edit, everyone reports it being the same hardware.

Phil Schiller attributed the faster Face ID performance to faster algorithms and a faster secure enclave. The various sensors powering Face ID remain the same: infrared camera, flood illuminator, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, front camera, and dot projector.
--https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/12/apple-face-id-faster-iphone-xs/

kidtachyon

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Utah's West Desert
I went from the 6 plus to a regular sized 7. I like the smaller size. I'm upgrading to the Xs and have no interest in the bigger Xs Max.

But I also have an iPad for when I want a bigger screen.

tekchic

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I missed the big screen, but loved the smaller bezels and face id (after about a week).

Excited to have the best of both worlds now with Xs Max. Wish they'd have offered it last year -- I wouldn't be upgrading this year if they did. :)

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
I feel you OP. I felt the same way since I got the X in November last year and missed the width all this time so very happy about the Max this year.

Looks like the XR will have the exact same screen real estate of the Max, so another great option
How did you come to that conclusion?

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Did you feel you were downgrading in terms of screen size when you want Plus size to X? Are you happy with your experience or not?
I had the 6 Plus, 6S Plus, and 7 Plus before I got my X. I felt the screen size was a bit of a compromise. Yes, technically there was more square mm area, but the narrower ratio changed the video viewing experience and even things like webpages (yes, you had a long vertical view port, but the pages felt 'narrow' compared to how they looked on the Plus models.

The quality of the OLED, however, was a huge improvement to me (in terms of color, brightness, the true blacks, etc), so I felt ok with that exchange.

However, now with the option of a 'Plus' version of that OLED screen with the Max? I jumped on that in a hurry ... my XS Max delivers on the 21st and I'm ecstatic. :)

Best thing you can do is play with some of the X phones that are still on display in the stores and see if the size is ok for you.

Reactions: CarolG

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I currently have the 8 Plus, as I was hesitant to make the jump to Face ID last year with the iPhone X. I feel I'm ready now that the XS is here ("2nd gen FaceID", etc).

Thanks!
It’s not really the display size but the width of the iPhone X it’s way to narrow compared to the 7/8 plus.

I keep dropping the x.

If your used to or prefer the the size of the iPhone plus, the x simply won’t cut it.

bpeeps

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2011
Went from Plus to the X and haven't looked back. It's so nice being able to hold the phone with one hand, text one handed, that whenever I pick up my 6 Plus I'm like yep, never going back to this size. The X could be a bit wider, but I'll take the versatility of it being so much smaller and comfortable over it any day.

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
OP: FWIW, I went from a 7 Plus to the X last year. Immediately could tell that the screen had less physical width - but - I quickly fell in love with the overal physical size, feeling more pocketable, and have really enjoyed being able to use it one handed and reaching across the width of the screen without issue. And all of that within what feels like a nice large screen in your hand (with the minimal bezels).

tworth23

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010

Thanks!
Yes, going from Plus to C is most certainly a screen downgrade. If you can afford the Xs, you can afford the Xs Max. It’s only another $100. Spread over payments is only $4 more a month

.Logan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Houston, Texas
Yes, going from Plus to C is most certainly a screen downgrade. If you can afford the Xs, you can afford the Xs Max. It’s only another $100. Spread over payments is only $4 more a month
Affordability aside, it's really about rational pricing to me and what I'm willing to support. I guess I was really hoping for the rumor of a Xs priced at $899, and Xs Max at $999 to be true.

I might keep the 8 Plus (would be first time in awhile I didn't upgrade each year) to see what comes out next year. I think I would be unhappy with the narrower screen of Xs, and the price point of the Xs Max just doesn't sit well with me. Even if it's only $100 more to start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.