Those with 16GB .....

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iOrlando, Jul 22, 2008.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

Like so many others..trying to decide between 8 and 16....question to those with the 16...do you find yourself with alot of room left currently? Like do you find yourself putting movies on there that you havnt watched in months...but you just keep it on because you can?

I dont have many videos or much music..so not sure if it is worth paying the extra 100 for 16.

2. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

You should definitely go for the 16GB one because you never know what kind of cool applications are going to come out in the future that you may want to use. For example, there are two programs about to be released and one that was already released that let you store files on your iPod Touch like a flash drive. You may also want to carry some files with you to look at like Excel, Powerpoint or Word docs. You may even want to keep some PDFs handy like for manuals or something. Don't forget about photos too cause they can take up a ton of space. Just get the 16GB...

3. nintendude macrumors 6502

i got a 16GB and i find it just perfect for me and as the above poster said, you don't know what apps will be released and its safe to have the extra space in case you get more media

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

If your library can fit into 8gb with ease, go for that. Apps don't take up much space at all, so don't get concerned over that. Leave a bit of room for future growth, though. 8gb can fit the needs of some people and exceed them for others. For some, it won't be enough. It depends on the size of your library, and we can't choose for you.

5. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

i was also in your shoes but in the end i decided that i didn't want to ever have to worry about space so i went with 16gb and i am glad i did. the biggest files are by far movies i have two that are 2gb a piece!! so if you are planning on keeping videos on your iPod then def. go 16gb oh yeah photos take up space as well 3000 photos=2gb so it adds up. Either way enjoy your new iPod!!

6. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

wish I had more room. 16 was nice at first but my library quickly grew to well over 25gigs of music so now I wish there was a 32 available when I bought mine. So if you have the means do yourself the favor and get the biggest one you can afford

7. itsm3cmg macrumors member

How come your videos take up so much space? My full length movies are only like .5gb.

8. dino0829 macrumors member

As my grandpappy always said, it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

9. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Was your grandpappy prone to quoting various sources? :D

10. frankiepdx macrumors regular

frankiepdx

If you can possibly buy from somewhere that has a great 30 day return policy you could take back the 8 if it seems too small. With my 16 I pick my best music and delete the songs of albums I know i won't listen to. With movies I shrink them down to 333 MB so I get 3 movies per gig. The quality is just fine for a portable.

Also consider the refurb store on apple.com. At least you'll have the warranty.

11. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

If you're thinking you might need the 16gb version, get the 32. Every argument for the 16 over the 8 is twice as valid, and the 32GB model is cheaper per GB than the other two. $299/8= $37.38 per GB. $399/16=$24.94 per GB. $499/32=$15.59 per GB. At that price you're approaching the retail price for just the memory. The iPod part is a bonus.

12. Jelite macrumors 6502a

Wait a few months and the 16gb will be the same price as the 8gb is now.

13. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

or get a refurbished 16gb for $300 right now

14. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I have about 3 GB left on my 16 GB. I have some music videos, movies, music, podcasts, etc.

I was used to having 60 GB on my Classic. But I just created some playlists of my favorite songs, etc. and went from there. I don't think I could handle only 8 GB.

You have to realize you actually don't get 16 full GB. It is like 14 point something GB that you actually are able to use.

15. Xavier macrumors 68020

I am completely full. Have a little over 2000 songs, 1 movie, and 1 TV show that I regularly change.

I have to manually change everything because I have too many songs/movies to fit.:eek:

16. Viremia macrumors regular

640k should be more than enough for everyone

in short, buy as much as you can comfortably afford

I've currently got 2.4 GB free on my 32 GB Touch and there are many who would like to have a 64 GB version in order to have everything they want in their pocket at all times

17. dthree36 macrumors regular

The apple store only had 16GB versions so If I wanted the phone I had to pay the price. My wife will never use 16GB but I can push that limit. Every ones budget is different so just get what you can afford.