Those with an ACD...which screen are u choosing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dapitts08, Apr 21, 2010.

1. dapitts08 macrumors regular

I am curious.

Those with an ACD are you struggling over which screen to get for the new macbook pros?

I got the new 15 inch i7 macbook pro and decided to go with the glossy screen with the standard display since most of my work will be done on the ACD.

I still wonder if later I am going to regret not getting the anti-glare hi-res based on everyone singing praises about it....

What say you?

2. = bluntman = macrumors regular

For me, the choice was clear (pun intended), I chose the high-resolution matte screen option for my 15" i7 MBP.

My ACD is at home in a place where lighting is controlled so the glare off of the shiny screen is never a problem. With a laptop being portable and light sources coming from any direction (uncontrolled) I wanted something that would reduce the glare as much as possible. My previous (pre-unibody with the Santa Rosa chipset) MBP also had the matte screen option.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Who cares what say I. It's your machine. People that have the anti-glare screen love it. People that have the glossy screen love it. It's up to you to figure out which screen is for you. You seem to understand the pros/cons of each. I don't believe one is vastly superior to the other in terms of quality.

FWIW I originally ordered a hi-res anti-glare but I got impatient and bought a stock machine instead after carefully scrutizing the 17" model's anti-glare and matte screens in the Apple Store. While it would be "nice" to have an anti-glare screen, I'm not in the line of work that requires it. I'm just as happy now with the extra $200 in my pocket ($150 cost of the screen + $50 discount on the stock model). 1440x900 is still HD as far as video goes.

4. sjalfr macrumors newbie

sjalfr

No struggle at all. All my screens are anti-glare (just got the 17", i7, matte MBP-beautiful and easy on the eyes). I even wish my iPod Touch was anti-glare too, that is how much I dislike glare :D

S.

5. dapitts08 thread starter macrumors regular

um...i am not asking anyone to tell me what to buy...

i already made a decision obviously because I am typing this on my 15 inch with the standard glossy display.

i am just curious as to some of the reasons other folks with similar setups chose the screen they did in case i overlooked some of those considerations.

6. jiE macrumors regular

I had the santa rosa MBP classic, with mat screen, and i loved it!
    I just bought the 15" i5 with hi res glossy (haven't received it yet).

The biggest concern of mine, with the new unibody MBP, is that they are not designed for the anti glare screen. It looks like something: "Hey.. some people want antiglare.. lets just fix it in a day, remove the glass. We dont care that i no longer matches the black keyboard, or the black rubber around the screen".

The antiglare doesn't match the intended design, because it simply wasnt designed for not having glass.

So despite I would rather have the antiglare, i went with the glossy.

7. saschke macrumors 6502

I've got the new 13 inch base model hooked up to my 24" LED Cinema Display on which I'm doing photo work and mid-heavy creative suite stuff. It works great.

I've downsized my laptop from the 15 inch MBP to the 13 inch because the extra portability is great and this new model allows for half-decent graphics when I want to play a game or two :)

Plus: BATTERY!!! :)

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

No struggle here. My laptops all have matte screens. Due to a variety of lighting conditions when traveling and working at client sites, I wouldn't be able to deal with reflections.