Those with good screens, how's your viewing angle

Discussion in 'iPad' started by netnothing, Mar 28, 2012.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Wirelessly posted

New iPad from launch day that to me doesn't have any yellow or pink tint issues.

My question to others is, how's your viewing angle? I notice in portrait mode mostly that if I look straight on, it's perfect. As I start to tilt it away from me, it definatley gets darker and to me tends to look grey with a hint of green.

iPad 2 doesn't do this as much.

Anyone else notice this?

-Kevin

2. LanEvo macrumors 6502

It gets darker, but that is about it. But for the most part, I look at it straight on, so IDK. Maybe you look at it from an angle most the time?

3. sekazi macrumors 6502

4. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Umm... I don't see any issue. I just sat here and moved it all around. At extreme angles that I would never use, like the pic on the box, it's still bright.

5. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

I don't notice that the screen does appear to darken when not views straight on. I never had an iPad before this one so I have no idea if it's just inherent to the display or not.

6. Eulinne macrumors newbie

If I tilt mine while on full brightness I notice it gets a little less bright but it's not bothering me.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

There was a very ugly, heavy, yellow cast over the entire display on the first iPad 3 that I received. Immediately I showed it to a genius who replaced after just once glance, it was that bad.

The new one has a very nice display that has no discoloration at all. Viewing angles are good & colors are well balanced. I strongly encourage replacement even if yours only has a hint of yellow. The reason I say that is my friends is getting worse & worse yet he's deep in denial, he believes what he reads about it getting better with time.

I'm afraid if he waits too long he'll be stuck. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

8. THE BG 86 macrumors regular

Looking straight on my screen looks fine but viewing from a angle from the bottom I have yellow tint. Is this normal?

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Gosh all helmlock, folks, how much time do you spend looking at your iPad along the edge or the bottom. If it looks fine straight on, what difference does it make how it looks from a 178 agree angle?:confused:

Do you do a lot of work holding it with an edge-on view? :confused: :rolleyes:

10. illo4325 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted

I have a good screen from what I can tell. I haven't noticed a yellow tint or anything of that sort. The viewing angles don't seem to be as good as they were on my iPad 2 though. I was surprised by that. I've also noticed that if I have a black image on the screen and I tilt the iPad to an extreme angle, the entire display turns a pinkish-red. It only happens when tilted a certain direction. I don't know if this an inherent property of the new retina display? I saw someone else in this forum mention it as normal, but that's about all anyone has said. Is anyone else experienxcing this?

11. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Only reason I asked is because I tilted it forward the other day to talk to someone after reading an article online and noticed the screen seemed to get darker than I'm used to with my iPad 2. I still have the iPad 2, so I was able to compare (probably the worst thing to do :p)

I see NO yellow or pink.....only the darkening which I'm used to with off angle displays....just obviously more pronounced than I'm used to with the iPad 2.

That and I tend to read these damn forums for fun :D It's an addiction.

-Kevin

12. authority11 macrumors newbie

My viewing angle is definitely worse than the iPad 2. I am 100% that this is just how the new iPads are. I've looked at over 20 new iPads by now and they ALL get darker/less bright and change color when you don't look at the display straight on. This definitely is lame, but it's not that bad.

13. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Interesting.....thanks for this. It's one thing I haven't been able to do is check any other new iPads to see if they do the same thing.

I kind of figured that maybe the new screen just doesn't have the same viewing angles as the old one. Like I said....no yellowing or pink hues here.....just the viewing angle issue.

Still....after using the new screen for a week....looking at the iPad 2 looks like going back to standard definition!

-Kevin

14. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

IMO not as good as iPad 2. Gets darker faster as you tilt it.

15. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Yeah man most of the time I spend on my iPad is with my eyes parallel to it.

16. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Not good, I can't read letters at an angle..not sure if that's the iPad or beers though.