Those with IOS 5, do you use e-mail push notifications?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Aug 27, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Just wondering those who have it in beta

do you have push notifications on your e-mail that comes up in the notifications center? if so how many minutes do you have it to? 15? 30? 60? and how much of a difference do you see the battery is when you have it compared to when you dont?

2. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Mine is turned on. I don't receive too many emails, so it's nice to know the contents of the emails I get instead of having to go to the Mail app.

All I have to do is glance at the phone. Just like a text message. I use MobileMe and gmail, so they're just pushed

3. Magsec4 macrumors member

Because of the new banner notifications and notification center I've turned on notifications for email (other than the icon badges) for the first time. I have two accounts set to check every 15 minutes. Doesn't seem to impact battery life too much on my 3GS, so I haven't tried it with it turned off.

I really like the notifications revamp.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I do. Works great. Would be nice to figure out a way to remove duplicate e-mail and app notifications (Twitter, etc.) — but that might require a bit of work.

5. Truckondo macrumors member

Isn't the point of "push" so that you don't have to set a retrieval time for emails? I have my Gmail and Hotmail accounts set to push and they pretty much work flawlessly. Plus my battery life is still good.

6. SR71 macrumors 68000

Why would you have it set to anything other than push? ;)

Push just seems like the most logical way to retrieve your emails. Push email notifications works great in iOS 5. When I get an email on my Mac, it instantly pushes to my iPhone. To be honest, if I got an email and had my Mac and iPhone next to each other, they'd both give me a notification at the same time telling me that I have a new email. That's how good push works in iOS 5.

Big improvement over iOS 4.

7. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Well I for one never have it on my current iphone due to battery life and not needing it badly. So I just get e-mails when I log onto it but when IOS 5 is out I will have it on.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

9. blesio macrumors regular

You can't sync mails using time periods when set to push, push is push, the phone has a constant connection to the mail server and will let you know as soon as you get an email in real time.... It does consume more battery but it works and the iPhone 4 lasts without any problems the whole day with. 40% batt left at 11PM. Sync every couple of minutes consumes a lot less batt but you don't have instant notification. It does the job though if you don't rely so much on your emails :)

If you want to conserve your batt then it's also mandatory to turn off all notifications as those use an apple server and are constantly connected to it :) so unless you turn those off having push configured for mail doesn't really impact battery life.

You have to know that the only push mail you can configure in the iPhone is Exchange and MobileMe or iCloud, the rest is Pull :D (correct me if I'm wrong)

10. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

I thought with Push you can select to get e-mails every 15, 30, 60 minutes and then manually?

11. zobby macrumors newbie

No thats fetch - push literally pushes them to your phone

12. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Must of got confused

thanks.

13. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Settings > Notifications > Twitter and in here change the notification to your preference or even off.

14. cinek macrumors 6502

I also do. That's the main part that was missing in iOS imo

15. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Just to confirm if I have push on my phone on iOS 5 it will send me every email when it comes through?

16. shandyman Suspended

yea it should do

17. TLewis macrumors 65816

Huh? While the notifications are totally different with the notification center, push in iOS5 is the same as push in iOS4. The way messages get pushed to you is the same as iOS4, but you're told about the new pushed messages in a different way (in iOS5).

(Also, if your email provider supports server-side filtering, using filters to mark an incoming message as read will prevent the push notification on iOS. They're actually still pushed, but the iPhone/iPad doesn't beep. This is really useful for common, low-priority messages that you don't want to bother you.)

18. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yeah I just meant if it would come up in the notification center as well as the normal way.

19. zobby macrumors newbie

Yes - It does that on mine with IOS5. Every email gets a notification. I think its turned off be default when I first upgraded, but you just activate it in the notification settings.

20. veganamanda macrumors newbie

push for gmail?

Does iOS 5 have push notifications for Gmail? Came across this thread and am getting excited. I'm so sick of moving my emails to a created "trash" folder, and then having to go to the web interface to actually delete them...

21. TLewis macrumors 65816

Gmail's had push for a while (at least a couple of years) -- you just have to use the Google Sync (microsoft exchange) interface, and not the cruddy "gmail" one.

22. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

i wish i had iOS5 im guessin the mail is different?

23. shandyman Suspended

Not hugely different. Just little things.

24. jauhari macrumors regular

jauhari

25. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Do you get it with fetch then? or just push?