Those with optibay hdd, does it sleep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hasole, Oct 4, 2010.

1. hasole macrumors member

Pretty sure my hdd in the optibay is always spinning.

I've got the put to sleep in energy saver on and they are excluded from spotlight.

Any tips?

2. hasole thread starter macrumors member

Alright, looks like the default is 10mins before osx will put it to sleep. Of course when I'm testing it 10 mins seems like forever.

I just found this article which lets you modify it.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10346924-263.html

I just set it to 1 min and the hdd is quiet and my whole laptop is solid state (except for the fans).

Now, that article says between 3-5mins.

If anyone else has done this, what have you set yours to if any.

My second hdd, holds my lightroom, itunes really.

3. movieboy23 macrumors regular

How are you testing this? Has your computer always been plugged in when you're testing this?

I've got an OptiBay config on my MBP and my machine runs extremely quiet (if not silent) when I've got it unplugged since I'm running an SSD in my main bay. Aside from turning on the "Turn hard disk off when possible" option in Energy Saver, I also have the hard drive icons off my desktop to prevent me from accidentally clicking on my second drive, thereby starting that one back up (but that just me be me being neurotic).

But I do notice that when I have the machine plugged into a power source, the OptiBay drive spins up occasionally. As such, you might want to double check that none of the programs (or background processes) you have running are accessing data from that drive.

Good luck.

4. hasole thread starter macrumors member

I'm sitting at the dining table and the 7200rpm hdd in the optibay, when she is spinning, you will know :)

when it has shutdown just now the laptop stops humming and is dead silent.

I'm running off batt.

Seems like after about 2-3mins the hdd spins up for 30sec or so and then spins back down. hmmm

I'm running a file trace now with fseventer

5. movieboy23 macrumors regular

I'd be wary of setting the sleep time at such a low value. Doing this will probably frustrate you if you jump from a program on your OptiBay to one on your SSD for a couple minutes because then when you want to go back to your HDD, you'll have to wait for the HDD to spin back up again (not to mention it takes significantly more battery power to spin the drive back up from sleep that it does to keep it running for a couple minutes).

Personally, I keep mine on 10 minutes and I don't really have a need to change that value to anything lower than that. Additionally, the relative gains in battery life are insignificant.

6. jqrd macrumors newbie

I have the same -- I wanted to use the 2nd drive just for music, photos and archives in general, so I didn't want it on all the time, since the laptop is totally silent without it.
    However, I've just given up on trying to achieve this and learned to ignore the noise. Right now I have the hard drive in the normal hd place and the ssd in the optibay, since it doesn't need "drop protection".

7. hasole thread starter macrumors member

I've got a 7200rpm hdd and it vibrates the unibody like no tomorrow. at the moment I just took it out and put it into a fw800 caddy, so the mbp is silent and solid