Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
After I got snow leopard I've been having this pretty damn irritating problem. Almost each time I right click an icon in the dock the whole thing freezes. I can't to anything, not even change space or window. But I can still interact with whatever is on the screen when it freezes. So I just hit both mouse buttons all the time until it finally unfreezes. Its ***** annoying. Does anyone know how to fix this?

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I onyl have a file called this: com.apple.dock.plist

I dont have the one you mention

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
so do I just delete the com.apple.dock.plist even though its not exactly what was mentioned?

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
come on people, can I delete this file? It really sucks that my mac freezes up each time I right click my dock

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Try moving it to the trash or desktop, and not deleting it, but moving it out of its right place. Then if the problem persists put it back, but if it goes away, put it somewhere just in case you need it back :D

IChing

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
If you are using a wireless mouse make sure your drivers are up to date.
Logitech just updated their drivers for snow leopard last week to 3.1 my mouse didn't work right until I got the update

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
suggestion

If you have a good backup of your files and prog's maybe wiping the HD and doing a fresh install of SL, than before moving your files and prog's back over give it a try and see if the dock problem is still there?

HTH

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I tried deleting the com.apple.dock.plist
and at first I thought it worked, but I still get the damn problem. Its like when I delete it, it works for some time, but then I have to go and delete it again (cause the mac makes a new one apparently). So I really dont know what to do.. I might end up reinstalling like some said, but I just hate going through the whole process. I do have a new Time Machine backup though, but I guess that will just copy the glitch anyway?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I tried deleting the com.apple.dock.plist
and at first I thought it worked, but I still get the damn problem. Its like when I delete it, it works for some time, but then I have to go and delete it again (cause the mac makes a new one apparently). So I really dont know what to do.. I might end up reinstalling like some said, but I just hate going through the whole process. I do have a new Time Machine backup though, but I guess that will just copy the glitch anyway?

Seeing as you've been at this for 2 weeks now you could've possible been done and moved on if you had chosen to reinstall the OS. Also, you're right, don't restore from a Time Machine backup as it may copy the corrupt file back onto your new install. It will be to your best interest to do a full erase and reformat.

MaLdocK

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
Something that works

Hey all, I too experienced this extremely retarded problem, but its all good for my SL and mouse AND dock now. This only applies to those with Windows and Bootcamp.

Earlier today, the whole freeze thing (for the dock) and right-click problems swamped both OSes. What I did was to log into Windows, (while facing the problems) and reinstalling the logitech software for my bluetooth mouse again followed by a restart which brought my mouse back to normal. And best of all, after I logged back to OSX, the freeze problems disappeared, as if it didn't happened in the first place

What I am using.
Snow Leopard Upgrade CD
Logitech VX470 Bluetooth Wireless Mouse

What I did. (Chronologically)
1. Under OSX, I installed the Logitech Control Centre Installer (for Snow Leopard), which can be found here.

2. Installed the LCC app, but problem still persisted

3. Bootcamp-ed to XP, realized the loss of right-click problem.

4. Re-installed the Logitech Media Centre for Windows (can be found here)
Choose your logitech mouse model
(32-bit for me) and restart comp
Disconnected my bluetooth mouse and re-paired it again
After restart, everything was smooth for XP

5. Logged back to OSX.
Problem Solved.
(for me that is...)

I don't know if I got lucky but that was everything I did, somehow things worked and I'm sharing this to you all. For those who just use OSX, all the best/ happy waiting. :)

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
thanks man.. I'm buying the new apple mouse soon though so Im hoping that will fix it. I have seen a few problems with this mouse on OSx (shame on you logitech).. if it still happens with the magic mouse or whatever its called Imma try your steps :)

anDroidzzz

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2009
just go into activity monitor and quit the Dock. That's it. I just had this problem and it has gone away.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
where do I find the activity moniter? And by quitting the dock, does that fix the problem once and for all? Cause when you say quit the dock it just sounds like I'd only be turning it off/removing it

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
where do I find the activity moniter? And by quitting the dock, does that fix the problem once and for all? Cause when you say quit the dock it just sounds like I'd only be turning it off/removing it

are you serious? don't you know what spotlight is yet? just type in 'activity monitor' sheesh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.