Though I would share exactly why I love Apple!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rafalski24, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Rafalski24 macrumors regular

So I had a ton of trouble with my Mid-2007 Macbook Pro (2.4GHz, 4gb ram, 160gb HDD) and sent sjobs@apple.com a nice email it went like this:
    Hello Mr. Jobs,
    I am a college student at University of Colorado. I recently started having major problems with my mid-2007 Macbook Pro. First I had this ominous single green line of vertical pixels. And a huge latency/ beach ball application crashing problem. I took it to a genius at the Boulder Apple Store, he told me to reinstall the operating system. I did this and it did not help anything. I took it to the Austin Apple Store. They sent it off and two days later I got my MBP back with a new Hard Drive and A new screen. They had failed to correctly install the screen, and the hard drive didn't seem to help anything. I sent it back again, they replaced the logic board. Now I am having trouble with my USB ports, Optical audio out, and continue to have major application failures. I love your products, but this is getting ridiculous. I make my money and hope to earn a degree using this computer.... Please help.

Repair numbers:
    R27621176

Case Number:

Serial Number:

The next morning I got a call and email from the Lead Genius at my local Apple Store, he said he wanted to talk. He also said he was gonna replace my computer! And just like that I went to the apple store and got a brand new Macbook Pro!
    He as gonna give me the base 15" Macbook Pro, since it bested the specs in my Macbook Pro. I asked if I could pay the difference to upgrade it, and he said "If you wanna give us money we won't deny you that!" So thats how I got my brand new fully loaded Macbook Pro 15" (2.8GHz, 4gb Ram, 500GB HDD)
    Oh and I already ordered a new 7200rpm 500gb HDD to put in it. And my the internal one it came with an external!

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so apple doing what they are suppose to makes you love them?

I, personally, would be upset that I would have had to go to such lengths to get a working machine that was covered under warranty already

but thats just me

glad it worked out for ya

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I think the moral of the OP's story was that not all Apple's geniuses are the douchebags that many of the forum members here make them out to be. I think this was a great experience and outcome for the OP. Just because a company is doing what they are "suppose" to be doing doesn't mean they will bend over backwards to do it.
    Also I think the OP's letter being so professionally written commanded a fast response.
    I've seen letters written by other forum members here to sjobs@apple.com and almost all of them are adolescent rants and quotes from online forums that just takes away the credibility of the letter itself.

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

WOW it seems you went in with one problem and came out with several. Glad Apple hooked you up with a new one. I bet there was a Genius who was screwing up a lot of Macs. So it was probably best to give you a new one. Keep the customer happy.

5. harleygold macrumors regular

harleygold

thats awesome! whether or not they were doing what they were suppose to be doing they still stood behind their product and was loyal to their customer. in the end it all worked out well on both parties kudos to Apple and you. :) enjoy your new Mac!

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

7. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

That is an awesome story. It's really incredible that you were contacted the next day and everything was set in motion. I can only imagine how happy you are to have the latest 2.8GHz MBP. Congratulations!

8. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

Crazy story. Inspired me to email Steve Jobs about my repair-plagued macbook pro. Will let u guys know if it works!

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Apple has typically gone above and beyond expectations when I've had to deal with their service departments. I had a Mac Pro pretty much melt down (it wouldn't boot, even after the RAM, video card, and HDDs had been replaced... there was more to it than that, but the details aren't important). The Apple Store replaced the logic board and that didn't fix the problem, so they replaced the CPUs too, and once they got it working I went in ready to pay the $1000 or so they had told me it was going to cost since it was out of warranty, and when I picked it up they said it was going to be free because of all the hassle. :apple:

10. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

Good luck!

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

12. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Supposed to do? Did they have any obligation to give him a new laptop or allow him to pay to upgrade it? I'm not sure about the companies you deal with on a daily basis, but for those not as lucky as you, this is above and beyond what most companies would do for their customers.

It's stories like these that make me glad I'm an Apple customer.

13. aussie.damo macrumors regular

Thanks for sharing that story! People always take the time to complain, but rarely make the effort to share positive feedback.

For my part, I have had many Apple products. Some have been perfect out of the box (most) and some have had issues. Without exception, all issues have been resolved by Apple to my complete satisfaction. This included replacing a laptop with dead pixels and repairing a dodgy iPod.

As you have demonstrated, it's all about how you approach the issue. Your letter is a good example for others who are looking for a result.

Damo

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I am not talking about a new computer, I am talking about getting issues resolved quickly when under warranty

15. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I had a similar problem about them not wanting to repair my computer (claiming it was accidental damage when it was not), and I too sent an email to sjobs@apple.com. 2 days later I got a call from Apple's Executive Relations and they are repairing the computer to factory specs, including removing a dent that has been there for years! :D

Edit: Forgot to ask, the one they were going to give you, did it have the 9400 or 9600? If just the 9400, that wouldn't of bested the specs of the old MacBook, and I do use my computer for 3D Graphics (gaming and design) and would consider that a downgrade, but the 9600 would be sick

16. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

yeah I wanted to get a keyboard cap from apple since one key was broken on my slim keyboard. they didnt have the "s" cap so instead of waiting they told me to come back, they'll order another keyboard. so i got a new keyboard instead. pretty cool experience.

17. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Glad they helped you, but ever think by causing a swamp of emails to the executive department you might cause them to stop helping people?

If I got helped, I'd keep it to myself, certainly off public forums. Also out of respect to those who helped you as they can't do everything for everyone.

18. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

Its good to hear another horror story resolved. However I would have pushed for the upgrade without paying the difference. From the looks of your mid '07 mbp, that was the high end model 15" at the time with a discreet gpu. They should not have downgraded you to the base model. If you search the forum you will see that several others including myself have had our mid '07 mbp replaced with 2.8's at no extra charge, with a little coaxing of course. It took a few phone calls and waiting but Apple is ready to appease if need be.

Funny thing is in my case, the applecare rep thought that the 2.8 unibody still could not match my old 2.4 and it felt like he was scrambling a little. From a price point comparison it doesn't. I stopped him and told him that the 2.8 was more than adequate!:eek::D

But good to hear it was resolved. Makes me think they really want these the old classics recycled and forgotten.

19. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

just to make the OP feel better, I have seen it common practice for them to try to cross reference like the processor speed and then make you pay for a machine above that. Not saying one can't beg for more, but the OP story seems to be about the norm.

So yeah, I think the OP got a great deal. Enjoy it.