Thought 4.1 JB was "forever?"

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bunger, Nov 22, 2010.

1. bunger macrumors 6502

I thought the jailbreak that was released for 4.1 was a bootrom exploit that couldn't be patched in firmware updates. I know there was lots of confusion when limera1n trumped greanois0n's release and gp shelved its exploit, but I thought the released exploit still took advantage of the low level hack.

But now I am reading that upgrading to 4.2 will wipe the 4.1 jailbreak.

Thoughts? Comments?

tia,
    bill

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

The jailbreak is "forever'.

The ability for that jailbreak to be untethered is not. The limera1n/greenpois0n exploit actually used a combination of geohot's and comex's work to make the jailbreak untethered.

3. bunger thread starter macrumors 6502

Would you mind explaining that a little further? I have never fully understood tethered vs untethered concepts...

4. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

If you have a tethered jailbreak, your phone becomes a brick if you are forced to reboot it and you don't have your computer nearby to rerun the jailbreak. Once you hook it up to your computer, you haven't lost anything and your phone is back to normal. The bottom line is you won't be able to boot your phone without your computer.

With an untethered jailbreak, you can just reboot your phone as normal.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Tethered = Must be plugged into Mac via USB to boot
    Untethered = Can reboot without being plugged in via USB.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Upgrading will always wipe a jailbreak. The ability to for the dev team to use the same exploit on a new jailbreak is what makes it "forever." Basically they used a hardware exploit that can't be patched via a firmware update.

You can jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 with the current beta version of Redsn0w now. It's fairly useless though as Cydia isn't updated yet.

7. OhioLefty macrumors regular

Anytime you update your iOS firmware (i.e. 4.1 >> 4.2) you will lose your jailbreak. The "forever" part means that the particular exploit used in the 4.1 JB can't be patch via software, only via hardware.

Untethered = your JB remains intact when you reboot the device

Tethered = you need to connect to your computer and "re-JB" everytime you reboot your device.

Someone correct me if I wrong or over simplified.

EDIT: Sorry for being redundant. I didn't realize three others were answering at the same time.

8. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

This is what made me avoid jailbreaking my phone from the days of the 3G until now.

4.2 will be an untethered jailbreak if I'm not mistaken. It's just gonna be a few days for everything to be updated in the JB community. Not a big deal.

9. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

fixed

10. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

This must have been asked/answered a billion times now.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

However Don't think for a moment this is the last time it will be asked! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

12. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Forever 21 probably won't be in business "forever" just because they put it in the name :)

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

14. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

Problem is you've got people like me who have a jailbroken iphone but really don't know how it all works, cause they bought it already jailbroken. In a few days when 4.2 JB is worked out, I'm going to have to find a step by step guide to update from 4.0, because I have no clue what I'm doing, and don't want to lose either the jailbreak, or anything important on my phone. :D As long as you have people who want a jailbreak without having the time to spend to understand how it works, you'll have to put up with questions you know the answer to.

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

In my opinion, jailbreaking is not something that should ever be done by mindlessly following a tutorial. System-level hacks are something that should be done only by people who understand how it works and are therefore able intelligently to evaluate the risks and deal with any issues that arise.

16. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

NOOOOO DONT SAY THAT

[​IMG]

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

1+ I did allot of reading and watch video's on youtube. you can figure out which are the better ones by the number of view and comments left. quite honestly I didn't trust people here more then anywhere. I learned to depend on myself 1st and others second but I have also learned who I can trust. to me if you are asking basic questions and haven't at least read through the stickies read the Dev-team blog know about sites like I clarified or what shsh means what blobs are difference between jailbreak and unlock, tethered and untethered no how to use google. ;) your not ready to jailbreak!

18. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

As has been said, a new Apple iOS update will end the jailbreak. Fortunately, I've learned this. After finally buying some Cydia apps, I wouldn't upgrade until Cydia is compatible with 4.2 as well as an untethered JB is available. People who are already jailbroken know (or should know) not to update until those 2 steps are finished. Those who are not should know to wait for a full untethered JB.

19. coasterswim macrumors 6502

Why not take it a step further? Why not say that the only people who should jailbreak are the ones you can write the jailbreak themselves?

20. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Because I do not believe that there is harm in well-informed people using tools they understand to modify their phones. I have plenty of experience, on the other hand, to tell me that there is harm in uninformed people doing so. Of course there is a continuum; even among people who can safely jailbreak their phones there are great variations in the extent of their knowledge. I think I am quite justified, however, in saying that people who refuse to do so much as a Google search or to read sticky threads have no business jailbreaking their phones.

By the way, when you use the reductio ad absurdum in situations where no dichotomy exists you create a logical fallacy. Such an argument is puerile.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very well said.

22. jamexman macrumors newbie

No, the problem is we have people that don't use the forum's SEARCH tool. Maybe we should put a big banner saying "PLEASE USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING A THREAD" I believe being a newbie isn't an excuse for not using it.

23. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

+1

I spend a considerable amount of time re-reading everything and re-learning all of this every 5-8 months so that I can intelligibly do it all myself and understand the risks involved for my iDevices. The reason I choose to 'forget' it in the intrim is because I don't want to get stuck helping other people w/ their devices and encourage them to learn it all on their own. I live in China - everyone wants JB help. Teach a man how JB vs. give a man a JB type of thing...

I can't imagine the confusion someone must have who simply purchased a jailbroken/unlocked phone and is having to learn all this from scratch. Don't give up, just keep reading... it will make sense :) Nonetheless, it's not impossible and the JB's are getting to be simpler and simpler. However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't take the time to know exactly what each JB utility is doing to our investments.

My only bit of advice to people would be:

A) read up as much as possible
    B) Wait for others to try everything before you do

Good luck everyone,
    Brian

24. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

I never said I was too lazy to do a google search...I search for step by step guides :) I read them, and they help me understand how the process works. I don't feel I need to know all of the intimate details. If I screw it up, then I lose the jailbreak and go back to it just being a regular phone, no huge deal.

I know how to change my oil, but I don't know anything about oil, or how it is made, or how the inside of my engine looks, or where the oil goes in there, or what it does. I just know what to do to change it, and it keeps my car running great.

25. jamexman macrumors newbie

Google "bitog"