Thought about selling.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 0101001, Aug 1, 2010.

1. 0101001 macrumors 6502

I have had this iPad since launch day and no other laptop or desktop at all.
    I really only need one once when I had to type a lease out, so today thought about buying a new MacBook or MacBook Pro but every time I was going to order I felt a bit sick as I use this about 8 hours a day for emailing and looking for property.

I would have to sell this in order for me to get the Pro, but now I think I have changed my mind and really want to keep it.
    Guess I love it more then I thought.

2. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I have a Dell Latitude laptop from work, and I hate the thing compared to my personal iPad. First of all, it's Windows (yech), but more to the point the whole laptop experience is unpleasant to me after getting and using the iPad. I'd never favor a laptop over the iPad, even an Apple laptop. For me, a desktop (Mac Mini) and an iPad for mobility are the best combo.

3. 0101001 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I would have a very hard time using a trackpad this feels so natural to me.

4. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

The trackpad on the MBP is simply awesome. If really is so great that I can't even stand the magic mouse on my iMac. I will be getting the magic track pad for my iMac soon I am sure of it.

Yes, the iPad is great with the touch capabilities but if you really want the power fop a real computer I say go for the MBP. I love mine.

5. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

The iPad is not meant to be a "main computer".

It is a media storage and viewing device. (and a consumption device)

I love my iPad, its great for e-mail, web browsing, reading articles, keep a pile of things i need to refer to all the time.

But it can't really replace my desktop when in need to construct a 90 slide PowerPoint or a spreadsheet with complex formulas and pivot tables etc.

If I could only get one machine then I’d get a laptop (macbook pro) but given I have a good desktop the pad is a good mobile device.

6. 0101001 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do realize that however I have had both the MacBook and MacBook pro both are overkill for me, I can use this fully 99% of the time, then one month I need to make a few leases and run to my kids desktop,but I would love another option.

7. Pixellated macrumors 65816

I sold my iPad and used the money to buy a gaming PC. Much better purchase. Actually, I sold it on amazon for £50 more than I paid for it in the Apple Store. :p:confused:

8. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Depends on the games you play really...

Hackintosh, iPad and PS3 do me fine :)

9. 0101001 thread starter macrumors 6502

10. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Find a used cheap MacBook (~$500), or if you can stand windows go for a cheap netbook (<$200). They should cover the occasional need of creating documents. Kijiji or craiglist are good sources of used computers.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You have your answer.

And for most people who are not using a computer for work or serious gaming, this statemant also applies.

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if I had wifi at my office I'd love to have an iPad but with ethernet VPN's only a laptop is a must... now if they made a dock to ethernet and a USB port adapter, I'd have to re-look at the iPad...

13. 0101001 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I will look for a very cheap *cringe* windows laptop.
    It was funny I listed the iPad twice in one day on eBay and each time pulled it off quickly.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Why don't you buy an inexpensive used MacBook?

15. 0101001 thread starter macrumors 6502

My budget is very limited now, about 300.00 buck max.

16. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

Emacs are really good machines and they're quite cheap on ebay. They won't be able to run like games or YouTube that well but that's why I bought an iPad as well. For doing the occasional document though it should be pretty good if you don't need the portability.

17. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Why not get an Airport Express and set that up as a network, then you can plug the ethernet cable into that and you're good to go.....can then use an iPad. I did this over the weekend, as a friend and I were staying in a hotel room which had wired-only internet access and we both had iPads. Hers was the WiFi only, so she couldn't get online unless we used my Airport Express. I simply plugged the hotel's ethernet cable into my AE, the network appeared on both of our iPads and once she had logged with my network password she was all set to go online. We both enjoyed having the wireless availability in the room, as then we could sit with our iPads wherever we wanted and catch up with our online lives.

18. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Buy a used Mac Mini and use the iPad as a display :eek:

19. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...its not a matter of being able to do it, its a matter of being able to do it within the confines of the allowable rules on base...Japan doesn't support 3G on iPads not purchased via a Japanese store yet (much more expensive to buy from a Japanese store also)... and using my laptop with a cable doesn't cost anything like a 3G plan would but thanks for the suggestion.