Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
I was thinking today, and realized that the only reason people opt to get a tablet, other than an iPad 2 is because of price. Now that the iPad 2 has been out for 9 months, and the iPad 1 for 20 months, why did Apple stop making the iPad 1. I think the iPad 1 16GB wifi would have been extremely popular this holiday season for a price at $249 - $299 or so.... Apple kept the 3GS around as a cheaper option, still to this day, surprised they don't do it with the iPad. The more people in the user base, the more money they will get from selling apps, music, magazines, and future purchases. Just a thought.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I was thinking today, and realized that the only reason people opt to get a tablet, other than an iPad 2 is because of price. Now that the iPad 2 has been out for 9 months, and the iPad 1 for 20 months, why did Apple stop making the iPad 1. I think the iPad 1 16GB wifi would have been extremely popular this holiday season for a price at $249 - $299 or so.... Apple kept the 3GS around as a cheaper option, still to this day, surprised they don't do it with the iPad. The more people in the user base, the more money they will get from selling apps, music, magazines, and future purchases. Just a thought.

There is a significant speed difference between the 1st iPad and the 2nd iPad. I usually steer people towards the iPad 2 vs 1 because of this.

I can't imagine that Apple will be able to offer iOS 6 support with the 1st Gen iPad (but who knows, maybe they will).

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

People keep forgetting that the phones are heavily subsidized. Apple makes a fortune from the 3GS.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
There is a significant speed difference between the 1st iPad and the 2nd iPad. I usually steer people towards the iPad 2 vs 1 because of this.

I can't imagine that Apple will be able to offer iOS 6 support with the 1st Gen iPad (but who knows, maybe they will).

They might put iOS 6 on the iPad 1 since the iPhone 4 will get iOS 6 (seeing how every iPhone has gotten 2 iOS upgrades, also - iPhone 4 and iPad 1 have the same processor).

I bet when the iPad 3 comes out, Apple will keep the iPad 2 out as a lower cost option (as mentioned). For example, iPad 3 will be $499 while iPad 2 will be $349. This will help fight off lower cost Android tablets.

tips

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2011
On Top Of The World
ipad1 and ipad2 are two different things in many ways:
Like: Weight,Shape,Speed,Camera,Sensors... etc.

I have felt holding ipad2 in hand and using it for couple of hrs, is far better
ergonamically compared to using ipad1.

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
ipad1 and ipad2 are two different things in many ways:
Like: Weight,Shape,Speed,Camera,Sensors... etc.

I have felt holding ipad2 in hand and using it for couple of hrs, is far better
ergonamically compared to using ipad1.

well the different iPhones are just like these differences you have here but theyre still available

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
If Apple sold a $250 iPad 1 it would barely break even on the component costs, and it would compete with, and cannibalize sales of, the profitable iPad 2.

Apple is in business to make a profit. I know this is an offensive concept to some people, but it's also the reason they keep coming up with amazing new products every few months.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA

I agree. I had to sell my iPad 1 once iOS5 came out as the device really started lagging. It became almost as bad as the PlayBook. iPad 2 has a major speed bump than iPad 1 and i'm sure iPad 3 will do the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.