thought i had a perfect macbook, but...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeremy6044, Dec 20, 2007.

1. jeremy6044 macrumors regular

turns out the charger stopped working. no battery charging, no juice going into the laptop at all.

off to the apple store i go...

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm not sure what the benefit was of making this thread but I do wish you good luck at the store.

3. jeremy6044 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks. i tried to do a search but couldn't seem to find anything about this specific problem, so i thought if there's a chance someone has had this problem and maybe it's just a setting that's off or something i'm doing wrong, then it's worth the post to avoid braving the holiday traffic and going to the store. don't mean to be wasting anyone's time, but as you know, a lot of problems are common enough that looking for info online first is usually the best bet.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

No charging problems here.

Thanks for doing a forum search too.

5. Uoila macrumors member

broken charger, not computer

Your charger broke. How does that affect your macbook? Don't you still have a perfect macbook - minus a charger?

Maybe i understood wrong, but the title was misleading.

6. jeremy6044 thread starter macrumors regular

well, get this...i went to the apple store, made an appointment at the genius bar, waited, and lo and behold...it worked again! how odd is that? i tried every plug in my apartment, made sure the magsafe was connected correctly. it's the weirdest thing. so they replaced my charger...hopefully it won't happen again.

regarding it being a charger vs macbook problem. it could be either...could be the charger, or could be the circuitry that the charger plugs into in the macbook. i was praying it wouldn't be that and all i'd have to do is replace the charger. but if it were that, then that's what i'd be wondering if other people had that same problem, which would make me think it could be a design flaw.

good to know there is no design flaw i need to look out for.

7. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

slightly off topic but you should definitely become a mod, you got my vote.

8. rhyndu macrumors regular

A Solution!

My MacBook had a similar problem a week or so ago. Just keep it unplugged (from that charger) for a day or so and then the charger will work again. Weird - I know!

9. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

i had a problem similar like this with my powerbook and its charger, it would charge for a while, then stop, then it would charge again i had no clue why for about 3 months,

i finally figured out that both the laptop and the charger contributed to the problem, the charger (off brand, not apple charger, it came with laptop) i guess it has a loose connection between the power brick and the extension cable and the laptop where the power cord connects to it is also the same way, i have to jiggle them around and pray that they work

its the worst feeling to know you have a computer but can't use it because a small charger is messed up

but its working fine right now (fingers crossed :D)

10. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

I had the exact same problem. The magsafe wouldn't charge unless I manually held on to the connector with 2 fingers. I don't know what happened to it so I took it in to the apple reseller and they replaced it for me. They later told me it was because it had gotten so hot one day that it had melted on the inside causing a tear in the wires.

11. jeremy6044 thread starter macrumors regular

that would seem to make sense since this only happened after i noticed it getting really hot.